↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Propane bottle on the outside
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
Propane bottle on the outside
I hadn't realised how involved it would be to fit a propane heater for use whilst driving as well as for the roof tent.

Apparently the gas bottle mustn't be inside the vehicle. I can either make a gas bottle cupboard that's accessible from outside only or just mount the bottle outside (either on the roof or on some kind of bracket on the back).

No flexible tubing is allowed inside either, it all has to be copper pipe.

I've been looking up what fittings i'll need. I found a bulkhead fitting http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/gas-co...-489-p.asp that has 8mm compression fitting on the inside and flexible hose connection on the outside, so i guess i'd just have the rubber hose outside going straight to the regulator on the bottle.

I have two questions though:
Will the rubber tube be ok fully exposed to the elements whilst driving through Scandinavia in winter?

What are the pros and cons of a regulator fitted on the bottle or a permenant regulator inside the motor?
Post #584104 11th Dec 2016 2:21pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I would suggest that what ever way you chose that the bottle is insulated along with the pipe work. I have spent a number of winter nights frozen after the Propane bottle and rubber pipe got wet and the temperature dropped below zero causing the liquid propane to stop vaporising in the bottle. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #584106 11th Dec 2016 2:55pm
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
That's a bit concerning. I'd been advised that Propane was good for -40c and that Butane freezes around +3c
Post #584112 11th Dec 2016 3:21pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Have a look here http://gasforges.co.uk/tools-supplies/gas-cylinder-cabinets or at other farrier supply companies and Van converters
I've never had problems with propane freezing and you need to inform your insurance Thumbs Up
Post #584123 11th Dec 2016 4:44pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I have only used Propane in this Country for caravanning and have been out in all weathers during the winter and believed what I was told which is the same as you "propane is good till -40c " I have had bottles stop gassing off at -10c and on more than one occasion -5c.. I and some of my caravanning friends built collapsible insulated boxes to put our gas bottles in taking care to allow venting at the bottom. I have seen on the interweb insulated wraps for gas bottles.

Its not the propane freezing its the gassing off that stops. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #584125 11th Dec 2016 4:48pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Best thing is to wrap it up well in an old sleeping bag and insulate the pipes well , I've been to -15 with the tint tent with no issues but then the jet boil is crap in low - numbers so maybe it's something to do with the pressure it's coming out
Post #584127 11th Dec 2016 4:56pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Not sure on the science of insulating a bottle - if it has to absorb energy in able to turn from liquid to gas, how can it do this if its outside and insulated? Unless you were to insulate 3 sides and allow warmth from the car on the 4th?

Just a thought!
Post #584162 11th Dec 2016 6:51pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I'm sorry if I've got this wrong but when did having a gas bottle inside the vehicle become a no-no? Yes it's preferable that it should be in a seperate box/compartment much like caravans have a front locker box, motorhomes have a seperate locker within the fabric of the vehicle, there's plenty of vehicle applications that have gas powered appliances fitted. As long as the bottle is secure and any gas leak can be contained from entering the rest of the passenger compartment with a bottom vent as the gas is heavier than air.
As for solid pipe, I'd be more inclined to go for rubber flexible pipe to help absorb vehicle vibrations which could be disasterous to use in a vehicle.
I may be talking out of my backside but mobile gas regulations are nothing like house gas installations, yes get an expert to check it over but don't get fooled into paying for unnecessary work.
Post #584243 11th Dec 2016 9:33pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
There's no reason not to have it on the inside as long as you have a drop vent. If you want real belt and braces then a gas locker will meet all the regs, including those for going through the channel tunnel.

If you intend to hire the vehicle out as a camper van then you need to only have access to the gas bottle from the outside HOWEVER that can be met by, as an example, having the gas locker door only accessible when you open the rear door (common on camper van conversions). For your personal use rather than for hire, there are far less regulations.

Gaslow, who also do some really good ones and also do a really nice refillable cylinder which, for touring, is a half way house between a cylinder and an LOG tank as well as all the fittings you need for an internal installation.They'll also be able to advise you on current UK and EU regulations.

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhd...as_Lockers

One thing that you do need to check though is the suitability of you heater for use while driving, many of them are either not suitable or require a specific pipework

The vehicle mounted regulators are much better than bottle mounted ones IMV, if nothing else it means you can fit virtually any kind of cylinder just by changing the flexible pipe between the regulator and the bottle. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #584337 12th Dec 2016 12:15am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Potentially daft question alert. If it's just for heating, then why not go down the webasto/eberspacher route and fit a diesel fired heater?
Post #584343 12th Dec 2016 1:23am
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
In hindsight, that may have been easier, but i've bought the gas one now.

I dont want to cut a cabinet into the side of the motor as I probably wont use it again for another year, so now im thinking maybe mount an enclosure on the roll cage in front of the roof-tent for the bottle(s). I could put a 12v heated seat pad on the bottle to be sure it'll be ok. If i use a bulkhead fitting regulator by the heater instead of a bottle-top one then the exposed hose will be at maximum pressure, so maybe that'll help too.

If i also fit the heater up there in a second enclosure then it'll mean that the ductwork will be much shorter and therefore more efficient in such extreme cold.
Post #584394 12th Dec 2016 11:59am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Why would you need to cut it into the side of your motor ??? http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #584403 12th Dec 2016 12:35pm
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
What do you suggest?
Can i have the gas locker inside and just have a low level vent to the outside instead?
Post #584408 12th Dec 2016 12:47pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I used to have a V8 90 with the LPG tank in the back mounted against the bulkhead Shocked As was/is pretty common? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #584412 12th Dec 2016 1:02pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We have our camping gaz 907 cylinder mounted on the outside on a small fitted shelf with a strap in the inside rear wheel arch of our 110 dormobile to feed the cooker.
Its a little bit of a tight fit and a bit of a fiddle to change but it does sit nicely there. (no need to remove the wheel either !)
We have a flexible hose on the outside to regulator and copper pipe inside to the cooker with a on/off valve inside close to the inlet and another one that is the regulator.
we have never had any issues in the cold for the gas to freeze (the diesel would freeze before the gas I think...)

hope that helps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #584421 12th Dec 2016 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>