↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Replacing front discs, Any special tools need? TD5 90 2001
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
So you've been there too... Rolling with laughter
Thank you for the compliments Very Happy Credit largely due to the excellent Land Rover Toolbox Videos on youtube, which gave me the confidence to tackle this myself.

Good point about the stub axle. I had to replace one of them (at the rear), and so wait for a new one with the car being on axle stands until the new stub axle arrived. It's good always to take into account that the car might not be available the next few days.

Since you mention the 'three torque wrenches': it was one of the reasons to change to the older twin nut system instead of the stake nut. 240Nm was more than my torque wrench could handle and changing system was far cheaper than a new wrench. Admittedly I was bit nervous about correctly adjusting the twin nuts and did several attempts using different methods, but was only too happy when the guy using the garage next to me approved, as he turned out to be a professional car technician.
Haven't used a g-clamp to push back the pistons but could make do with some really big pliers to gently push the pads back. Guess it depends on how cooperative the pistons are.

Greetings,

Joris
Post #583632 9th Dec 2016 4:07am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Quote:
Since you mention the 'three torque wrenches': it was one of the reasons to change to the older twin nut system instead of the stake nut.

Exactly

Although 200Nm and a pinch over would be fine IMO, but I like to do it right... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #583634 9th Dec 2016 4:39am
MC84

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Chawton White
Thanks everyone for their input, its all very helpful. I have most of the tools but as the Defender is a lot "bigger" than the average car I shall have to buy some new kit I'm thinking. Roll on Christmas Whistle Whistle Mike

Hard Top 90 TD5 2001
Ford 100e 1959
www.youtube.com/mikemakesit
Post #583637 9th Dec 2016 4:54am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
I have most of the tools but as the Defender is a lot "bigger" than the average car I shall have to buy some new kit I'm thinking.

That's the best bit Very Happy

Its a nice easy job, I did it recently on My Girlfriends now departed Td5 and other than a few stuck bolts it all came of clean and well.

Good Luck! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #583684 9th Dec 2016 1:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12