↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Proctas Defender 300TDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 54 <123 ... 232425 ... 525354>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Making progress there Procta Thumbs Up

when you say "the Gore hinges " what hinges are you referring to ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #648683 6th Sep 2017 8:15pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Procta wrote:
I am in need of some replacement hinges by the looks of things, but with the way funds are I cannot afford the gore ones I saw, Looks like its going to be a fare few weeks now to get my money up again. Sad
So looks like I will have to hold on there for a while, and just buy the little things for the moment, like the rear wiper setup and the front light loom.
I do have the brake overhaul coming up but again that's on hold due to my dads landy been out of action, And I don't want to risk taking this out of action, leaving us with the one working car.

I just used britpart hinges with stainless bolts on mine, you can always replace them down the line?

I'm trying to get everything finished on mine, then I can slowly get it exactly how I want it over the years 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #648690 6th Sep 2017 8:33pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
The back door is looking stronger Thumbs Up
I agree with Kit, just get some standard hinges for now.. it will be still be an improvement if your current ones are shot. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #648713 6th Sep 2017 9:57pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Making progress there Procta Thumbs Up

when you say "the Gore hinges " what hinges are you referring to ?

its their door ones, as kit and Profyaffle said, I may just buy some standard ones for now. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #648722 7th Sep 2017 2:45am
L110CDL

England 
Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #648881 7th Sep 2017 8:09pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I am slowly getting my budget back again, I think I will get the full rear wiper system and go from there. Smile As its a pain in the arse not having a rear wiper.
Then its a case again of saving a few more quid and push onwards for door hinges for the winter,
But I am one step closer for sorting out a few things that I have the parts for ( gearbox mounts and brakes) That's due to the fact we have really moved forwards with my dads. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #652353 23rd Sep 2017 8:37pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
well I have bought the full wiper system, so bits are starting to move forwards again. fingers crossed I should have a working rear wiper and then I can move on to the next step. Which I think maybe the door hinges. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #653006 26th Sep 2017 6:46pm
L110CDL

England 
Just right to have that done ready for the winter Wink What door hinge's are you going for Procta ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #653273 27th Sep 2017 9:21pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I am going to have a look on what pay I get next week and then go from there for the hinges. As i am doing a few extra hours to get the funds back up.
i do have the motor and wiper setup now to install at some point over the weekend. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #653306 28th Sep 2017 5:01am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Well today after I finished work and a brew later, I decided to tackle the rear wiper system. My dad decided to try and dive into the job and tried to pull it all a part before I got in with the camera, My mum gave him a job to keep him out of my hair while I did the job. Sometimes he gets in the way and throws things off, With him out of my hair.
new parts

Click image to enlarge

I got about dismantling.

Click image to enlarge

spare wheel off which exposed the old wiper and butterfly screw thing. ( what a bodge)

Click image to enlarge

rear cover off to expose the old motor and wiring

Click image to enlarge

old unit removed and new one installed in place

Click image to enlarge

What I did use was an old rover fan switch seal to go around the unit to add that bit extra support and help keep the water out.

my mum came up with the idea of putting some window sealant tape around the damaged area and into the window area its self to stop water coming, better than riveting panels,

Click image to enlarge

looks a bit of a hash, but its a cheap little fix,

also clagged some on the hole we put through by mistake too for the earth.

Click image to enlarge

new wiper arm plus blade and nut sorted out and a quick test. ( this was before my mum came out)
all working spot on! Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

it looks like its going to be a later door for me with this I think, this one has seen better days, my dad keeps bleating on about re skinning the thing, but why bother when you can get a later door.
Also while my mum had the tape, we had a look at the said water problem I had with the cab.
We pulled down the seals

Click image to enlarge

which exposed the rotten sealant tape stuff,
also I nicked two little seals from work,

Click image to enlarge

so my mum found a way to install those too and sort out the sealant tape job as she is good with that sort of thing,
while I tied off the back end, ( putting it all back together and having a wipe here and there,
we had just finished when it started to come in dark and it belted down with rain. So fingers crossed my mums repair may have fixed the water problem.
looks like its been coming in from the front end and running in, I think there was a DIY fix that some one did I think with something from B&Q.
So its something I will look back into I think, but we are one more step closer with that back door now, and its great to have a working rear wiper system!
so its just a swing way and door card now.
I think I may look at the seals for the front vents, as I am getting a draft in, so looks like that could be another job before the winter sets in. just so I can keep warm.
Still got the brakes and gearbox mounts to do but we will have to see when that's going to be, due to my dads land rover been out of action.
Still need the hinges sorting out too, and I have seen a mud pod thing that replaces the ash tray which has gave me an idea for moving the clock there and a place for two other gauges. I did think about installing the radio in a roof console and install the gauges where the radio is. Again another idea which is way off sadly, Sad but its something I can work towards too. Very Happy Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #653873 30th Sep 2017 4:18pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
Looks like it should do the job for the time being! Thumbs Up
Post #654087 1st Oct 2017 1:04pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
yeah its not the pretty, but it should do for the winter, its just great to have a working rear wiper for work. I don't know why people de wiper the backs of cars is beyond me.
I all need to check if my mums repair has worked on my doors, I checked yesterday and I still had water in but not where it was coming in from, I found that the seal had moved away from the bulkhead so I pushed that back into place. so the next down pour we have we will see. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #654271 2nd Oct 2017 5:07am
Procta

United Kingdom 
i am looking at the cheap little fixes for the moment, i am researching the form vent seals as i know the rubber ones that the series landys had were a right pain to fit on my dads. So i am staying OEM!
also i am going to replace the cracked check strap piece that is damaged on mine, i missed out on a pair Sad One for my dad and one for mine, But i will just buy a new one, i did buy a replacement one but i think the screw that's in wasn't the right one for the job or something, which caused it to crack the new one, so this will be round 2 with a new screw!
i may look at the light loom upgrade for the front lights too, just so that i don't have the bother with the lights anymore.
I really do need to get some good budget together for the big one ( wheels and tyres) Even if i buy 5 wheels and just put four tyres on, and come back to the spare. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #654686 3rd Oct 2017 7:50pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Looking good Procta Thumbs Up have you stopped the water getting in now? 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #655429 6th Oct 2017 4:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
just have to see when it rains Profyaffle, we haven't really had enough rain to test to make sure all is well. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #655479 6th Oct 2017 7:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 54 <123 ... 232425 ... 525354>