↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Any feedback on eBay trackers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyB

1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Cairns Blue
Any feedback on eBay trackers
Just got our first 90. It may be old, but its slowly becoming our pride and joy.

Just wishing for some feedback on the eBay trackers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-TK102-GPS-Tr...2252708968

We have a few physical stops fitted to slow anybody down, but now want to go onto the next step.

One thing I'm also finding difficult, is finding a nice basic alarm system (as per we all fitted in the 80's), as ours does not have central locking and was registered in the late 80's. Was thinking of one that simply uses door switches, and is remote controlled.

Thanks for your time

Andy
Post #582594 4th Dec 2016 10:22am
foxyred

England 1994 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Montalcino Red
I had an e-bay tracker. When the car was on the drive , it was 4 miles away according to the tracker ! Crap
Post #582604 4th Dec 2016 11:13am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Re: Any feedback on eBay trackers
AndyB wrote:
Just got our first 90. It may be old, but its slowly becoming our pride and joy.

Just wishing for some feedback on the eBay trackers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-TK102-GPS-Tr...2252708968

We have a few physical stops fitted to slow anybody down, but now want to go onto the next step.

One thing I'm also finding difficult, is finding a nice basic alarm system (as per we all fitted in the 80's), as ours does not have central locking and was registered in the late 80's. Was thinking of one that simply uses door switches, and is remote controlled.

Thanks for your time

Andy

Most of them are OK, the one you linked to, the TK102, isn't really designed for vehicle use although it can be used for that with an external charger.

Search for TK103 and TK104, they are vehicle mounted trackers so have a few extras such as an external GPS aerial and the ability to remotely kill the vehicle. They can be a bit tricky to set up initially but once you get the hang of it day to day use is easy enough.

You can set up a "stockade" so if the tracker detects it has moved more than x meters from the centre it will send you a text (due to GPS fluctuations this normally needs to be set to 3-400 metres radius to avoid false alerts). They also have built in shock sensors that will also send you an alert.

I like them because they are cheap to buy and use and they give you complete control although I wouldn't want to rely on one 100%, like anything else security wise it's just another obstacle for would be thieves to overcome.

If you do get one there's a handy app for your phone (Android or iOS) that I've written that helps control the unit...
http://tkcontroller.org http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #582610 4th Dec 2016 11:53am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've got o and it is to b said it seems to work fine but only from a reactive perspective ie if I call the tracker it's txts back with a link to maps and shows me the location which seems reasonably accurate. I don't seem to be able to set up the blockade - any advice on what i'm doing wrong would be much appreciated.
Thumbs Up

Bottom line. Seems good for the money.
Post #582627 4th Dec 2016 1:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
One word: Skytag Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #582633 4th Dec 2016 2:12pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I can fully recommend this tracker from ebay at under 28.00, I have three, one as a back up in the Defender, one in my horse trailer and one on my boat accuracy is perfect and does so many things such as texting you if the car is started or moves, its amazing for the price. One of these units is now over three years old and still works perfectly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-Vehicle...SwMgdX1nnx For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #582640 4th Dec 2016 3:32pm
Caterham

Looks the s s what I have. You would care to share wi m , you get it to let you know when it moves?
Post #582641 4th Dec 2016 3:39pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Caterham

Send a text SMS command to tracker with 'fix030s005n+ password or send SMS with distance + password+space+distance Tracker will reply Distance OK from then on every time the car moves it will send you a text with the GPS position use the text link to go to google map and it will show you exactly where the car is on the map and will constantly update
(eg distance+password 0010 would mean the distance is 10 meters so if it moved by that distance you will get a text) For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #582643 4th Dec 2016 4:14pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
foxyred wrote:
I had an e-bay tracker. When the car was on the drive , it was 4 miles away according to the tracker ! Crap

Wow youve got a long drive Wink
Post #582654 4th Dec 2016 5:23pm
Caterham

fix030s005n+ password. I did that a I got 5 sms with location every 30sec.

Any chance you can confirm what I'd need to do to get it to sms when it moves say 20 mtrs?

distance + password+space+distance

Does that mean '0025+password+ +0025' ?

Sorry Off Topic
Post #582663 4th Dec 2016 5:43pm
AndyB

Thanks for the input people. Appreciate it.

Think I have just opened up a minefield of potential purchases!!
What are the main differences between gps103, 104, 105 etc? Anybody know in layman's terms?

What is the signal from the aerials like inside a vehicle? Do they have to go outside (I have no head lining by the way). How much does being boxed in effect signal strength and reliability?

I know a lot of people will be saying how to spend a fortune to get 'the best', but, I have put most of my money on physical deterrents. I just need a 'cherry' for the top.... oh, and an alarm!!!

Thanks again, and hopefully, I can be aided in my decision.

Andy

Last edited by AndyB on 4th Dec 2016 7:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #582686 4th Dec 2016 7:01pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Re GPS signal, most of them work quite happily with the unit or aerial mounted on the inside, in the roof for example.

Caterham there is no point in taking someone else's commands because there's every likelihood that it won't work on your tracker. There are at least 6 different manufacturers in China that make these things and although they look identical on the outside they all use different variations of the codes.

You need to check the manual that came with your unit and see what it says. Some of them don't have a sensitivity or radius setting for the movement and shock sensors and can, as a result, be prone to false alerts. Stockade is always the better option over move.

The TKController.org web site gives you some of the common variations and how to identify which one to choose in the software to have it set a stockade for you. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #582689 4th Dec 2016 7:12pm
Caterham

Thank you both.

I'll take a look at the website.
Post #582700 4th Dec 2016 8:23pm
AndyB

gilarion wrote:
I can fully recommend this tracker from ebay at under 28.00, I have three, one as a back up in the Defender, one in my horse trailer and one on my boat accuracy is perfect and does so many things such as texting you if the car is started or moves, its amazing for the price. One of these units is now over three years old and still works perfectly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-Vehicle...SwMgdX1nnx

Went for the above due to the recommendation.

Dave, I'll look into your app once it arrives. It sounds like just what I want to go with it.

Now to somehow get advice on where best to install one without people giving their 'secrets' away.
Feel free to pm people with possible and every so sneaky hiding places.
We have a 1989 90 with a 300tdi in it, so dash is sparce. It is a 'van' back with no interior!

Andy
Post #582845 5th Dec 2016 1:16pm
huffhuff

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I think you made a good choice. I have the TK103a and it's been happily working for a couple of years on a couple of vehicles. I arm it every night using the above app (thanks davew, didn't know you were on here). Accuracy depends on aerial location, but in the two houses i've lived and whenever I have armed it away from home, the GPS is spot on (99% of the time).

It used pretty much the same technology as a skytag from what I understand, only theirs is a lot more expensive to buy and then subscribe monthly...and you don't get full control of it (you need to ring them etc.). I control all facets of mine from the phone (handy as i've lost my car on a few occasions...) TD5 Defender 90
Discovery 3 HSE
Post #582869 5th Dec 2016 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>