↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > New Redbooster and its wee story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
New Redbooster and its wee story
Well, I've paid my money and got a Redbooster fitted.

My own leg was more than a match for the TD5 clutch, but the left leg of Mrs K does not (thankfully) have the muscles that mine does. I had looked at the clutch spring mod - even bought the bits and still to this day couldn't manage to get the dammed spring into the second bush. That said, even with no spring fitted the wife couldn't manage to hold the clutch down without it coming back up at a speed which would have resulted In either stalling the motor or inducing whiplash if she had been on the accelerator at the same time.
I had read about the Redbooster clutch servo kit and then noticed that the main agent for the UK was located just outside Edinburgh and not too far for me to drive to. I emailed Rod Barry and explained to him I was just enquiring as I hadn't the cash at the time to do the job. I got a very friendly reply back from him where he answered a couple of questions I had about the product. Once I had the desired amount of disposable folding available, I confirmed a date with him to go over and get it fitted. I had decided against buying it and getting my local garage to fit it for a couple of reasons. First, who is going to know more about the job - my local garage who has never seen one or the UK importer. Secondly, if I got the box of bits and it wasn't just quite right, would I know what was wrong and then I'd be waiting on another part to turn up. Third, Rod gave me a very good price to supply and fit.
I booked a day off work and set off early doors to be at Rods business address for 0800. The lovely dry morning I left behind on the West coast turned to sleet, snow and eventually very heavy rain on the East coast. The drive was enjoyable enough, and I arrived at Rods place about 20 minutes late. Onto his 4 post ramp with the motor (not actually needed as the car doesn't get lifted) and after the initial introductions to Rod and his son James, they set to work.

The standard setup

Click image to enlarge

First off came the bonnet which was laid carefully to the side with padding to protect it whilst it was detached from the mother ship. Next after drying the front of the car to get rid of the rain that had collected on it, on went the wing protectors which gave me confidence that they were going to take care of my car. Rod and James quickly had the clutch pedal disconnected and had removed the expansion bottle from its location - something that has to be done on TD5 and Puma.

Rod getting to grips with my motor - after asking if it was ok to stand on the bumper

Click image to enlarge

At this point, Rod said he always checks to brake servo for damage as these can split on the face where the fluid reservoir sits due to general usage. He informed me mines was split in two places - DOH!!!!!
I looked myself and he was totally correct in what he had said. "Do you want it replaced just now too?" he asked. As it was obviously not going to fix itself and only going to get worse, I decided that now was as good a time as any. Now, as Rods place is not a Landrover garage, and the only parts he stocks is Redbooster kits, I would have to get a brake servo from somewhere. Rod made a quick call to his pal Rupert who had the necessary part in stock, but his place was around 45 minutes away. Not a problem, and five minutes later Rod had programmed the desired address into his sat-nav and handed me the keys of his Audi Quattro allroad estate car. Driving through the countryside and through flooded roads I arrived at Ruperts place.
One of the first things I spot is a very tidy 88" Cuthbertson conversion. A load of series motors which he described as his 'static display' and a couple of coil sprung models were also to be seen. A chat to Rupert about my old departed ser111 brought back good memories. Armed with my new servo, I head off back to Rods place. On arrival, he quickly fitted it and set about connecting up the Redbooster kit.

New brake servo fitted

Click image to enlarge

Talking Landrovers is obviously a natural thing to do in these circumstances and Rod tells me about the HUE tribute that he is building in his garage. I have seen a couple of pictures of the work this far and the quality of his and James' workmanship looks superb. Rod also explained that he had sold roughly 400 or so Redbooster kits - mostly for home fitment or to garages to fit to customers cars. Once the hardware was fitted I was intrigued to see that my Redbooster wasn't red, but black! Apparently only the first handful were red, but the black ones look much more factory fitted. James and Rod started bleeding the system and then setting it up correctly. A quick spin round the yard and he then offered me a try to see what I thought.
I almost dented the bulkhead with the pedal as I pushed it down with the usual force. The difference the clutch servo made to the pedal really was night and day. The pressure needed to press the pedal now is similar to that of my wife's Nissan Cube - not much at all. With a successful test drive behind me, we went back to Rods office where money exchanged hands. I had paid him the initial money we agreed on for the Redbooster, then I asked him how much I owed him for the use of his car, his diesel and for fitting the brake servo. "Don't be daft" he said and refused any payment I tried to offer. What a thoroughly decent guy I was dealing with here.

The completed job

Click image to enlarge

The drive back to the West coast gave me a chance to try out the new feel of the clutch but getting used to it took me a couple of days. I also got an email from Rod that evening to ask if my trip back home was ok and just to shoot the breeze in general.
If anyone is thinking about getting such a conversion done, I can totally recommend going to Rod and letting him do it - you certainly won't be disappointed in the Redbooster or the standard of workmanship from James and Rod.
Post #580525 25th Nov 2016 11:35pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Nice write up Roddy.

Sounds like Rod is a top bloke to deal with. Shame he's a bit of a distance for most of us 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #580552 26th Nov 2016 10:06am
lightning

United Kingdom 
The redbooster kit really does make for an extremely light clutch, l drove one last month.
l did find that the clutch had no "feel" to it, as the pedal was just so light that there was no action to it.
But l am sure you'd get used to that. Not sure what it'd be like off road though!

The spring mod is well worth doing, in order to fit it you really need to disconnect the clutch pedal from the master cylinder.
This allows the pedal to go a fair bit higher and then the spring is easy to fit.

The spring mod is better than no spring at all. As the spring goes over centre as you press the pedal, actually assisting in the second part of the pedal travel.

It makes the pedal about 30% easier to press down over standard.
Post #580620 26th Nov 2016 6:45pm
stickyyates

United Kingdom 
I got one on my td5 and it's totally brilliant, can push the clutch down with my little finger
I have a dodgy left leg so took the chance and paid for the unit, fitted it myself in about 6 hours
Great off road or in traffic
Post #580697 26th Nov 2016 11:04pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well yes if you need a clutch pedal that you can press with one finger (and some people do for various reasons) then it's perfect.
Post #580976 27th Nov 2016 11:39pm
bogwert

Scotland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
Nice write up.

Might be worth thinking about as they are just down the road! Chris

2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE
2003 Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Post #581064 28th Nov 2016 12:36pm
stickyyates

United Kingdom 
Yes my left leg is knackered from a car accident many moons ago so I can't press a heavy clutch without massive sciatica coming on
Couldn't even drive it without so for me it's enabled me to have a defender and enjoy it out on the lanes
Post #581469 30th Nov 2016 12:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1