↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Double Din Install Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pjb

Double Din Install Advice
I have taken the plunge & decided to fit a double din install.

Now a quick question to those that have done it is it possible to relocate the switches without having to lengthen the cables ?

If not does anyone do a cable extension kit ?

For all that looked I have bought the powerful uk one at £145, finish is okay on the main dash part but not perfect on the switch relocation - see top r/h corner, I'm going to see how well it fits and if okay will keep it, as to get a perfect finish it just needs rubbing down and respraying so not really a big job.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cheers in advance 2020 P300 HSE
Post #578127 16th Nov 2016 10:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
No advice, but will be following with interest as plan to do the same.
What head unit are you going for? I want one with decent Nav built in.
I also wondered about switch relocation, I've got to do something slighly different as need to rehome 6 switches ilo the usual 5. Mcma1 might do some switch holders that I can use instead of the side panel, but we'll see.... Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #578131 16th Nov 2016 10:06am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Interested also as have saved the link to the £145 trim...

I guess you have to cut the clock part of the dash off your current set up? will this look ok being gloss at the bottom (which I like) and mat at the top (is this to stop reflection?)

If you do a how to that would be good Smile

Trim quality from the pics looks good? I cannot see the bit you mention.
Post #578143 16th Nov 2016 11:09am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Gloss finish tends to show up scratches more readily then matt finish.

Relocating switches? No extension loom is available. Depending which switches you plan to relocate. Have heard on some vehicles they needed a simple extension making up.

On other vehicles people have managed to tease enough slack out of the wiring loom and not needed any extension.

All depends on your luck/skill

Brendan
Post #578338 16th Nov 2016 11:45pm
pjb

I have an adventure model so centre dash is already Gloss Black so will be no different Thumbs Up

Looks like its going to be suck it & see when I take it all apart on the cables then Exclamation

I already have two switches in the side pod - Front & rear roof rack lights - so need to look where I relocate those to

Click image to enlarge

Will maybe have to look at a mcma1 type relocation to the cubby box 2020 P300 HSE
Post #578365 17th Nov 2016 8:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
If you could 3D print up the side panel with an extra two switches instead of the gauge hole that would look great.

Andy is the man for that sort of thing, esp while he is waiting for his Wildcat to be finished.
Post #578381 17th Nov 2016 9:56am
L90Andy

@Stiff1 - Did I see somewhere you used a Disco 2 Hazard switch? I'm thinking I need to do the same for various reasons. Is it a simple plug and play!? Thanks. Instagram: l90andy

Post #578403 17th Nov 2016 11:06am
L90Andy

I also see that the Twisted one features 6 holes + Defender Hazard which is ideal, but costs £570!! Ouch.
http://twistedautomotive.com/store/double-din-panel/
Oh and the OP has already sensibly bought a much better value one... Instagram: l90andy

Post #578406 17th Nov 2016 11:16am
Stiff1

As I recall Twisted wanted about £130 for just the side panel... but if it gets the job done?

I would have thought a selection of holders from Andy would be the best way forward.

As for the Disco 2 Hazard switch, it is one of my favourite parts of the install, in so far as it just looks right, I also added the extra function of it flashing when in use.

Sadly it is not plug and play, a new loom and connectors had to made up and the flashing required a 3 relay set up.

All magically done by PaulMc on here at a very reasonable cost, although I have not been able to contact him for some time.
Post #578407 17th Nov 2016 11:26am
pjb

Powerful have sent out a new switch panel part for the first one that had a slight paint imperfection Thumbs Up to Powerful.

I have since I started this bought a Far Corners Under Cubby subwoofer enclosure & a subwoofer from them, so will take the car apart & then decide the final position for the switches

I have since looked at the twisted one which is very expensive but they seem to be the only ones who do the dash as one complete unit so no cutting your old dash in pieces & thier switch panel would allow me to relocate all my switches including the roof rack light switches

So many options Whistle Whistle

I think this will be a weekend job playing around with switch positions trying to get 100% happy before I do any cutting and any extending of wiring if I go the cubby box route 2020 P300 HSE
Post #579452 21st Nov 2016 4:22pm
pjb

Well I spent most of the weekend playing with the dash Rolling Eyes

Went from this

Click image to enlarge

via this

Click image to enlarge

to this

Click image to enlarge

I've still got one switch that I need to extend the cable on but was beginning to lose the will to live, having fitted it & removed it more times than enough to get a perfect fit.

Very pleased with the end result just did not enjoy taking the heater graphics off the old dash or cutting the clock housing as I prefer nut & bolt jobs finesse is not my strongest skill.

The powerful uk double din dash fits very well - sorry I did not take pictures of it as in the end I did not use it given my comments on finesse I managed to get a twisted dash & switch panel so avoided having to cut off the top part of the dash and it gave me the 6 switches I needed in the side panel 2020 P300 HSE
Post #581034 28th Nov 2016 9:55am
Stiff1

Looking good, may I ask what method you used to extend the wires?
Post #581040 28th Nov 2016 10:39am
thatsilverpuma

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
I'm also interested in your wire lengthening method. Or anyone else's method for that matter, what is the best way to do it?
I'm hoping to get one of Andys Hazard button surrounds for my cubby box, hence the interest in wire extensions.
The Twisted fascia looksreally great, if only it was more affordable.
Post #590214 4th Jan 2017 9:43pm
pjb

Probably not the best way, as I ended up with two connections on each wire, as I cut off the wires as close to the loom as possible, offset the cuts so when soldering new cable you do not end up with 6 connections at exactly the same place.

I then used different coloured cable to extend the cables.

I ended up extending 2 switches, circa 10 cables hence why you want to offset the joins as I used pre soldered cable joints - cannot remember the correct name - that you just heat upto stick to cable & melt the solder.

I would have preferred to just have one joint in each cable, but I could not find the correct switch backs so had to settle for 2 Crying or Very sad

I am really pleased with the end result love the apple play head unit & having all the additional switches easy to hand in the right hand dash bit.

The biggest challenge was trying to get all the cables etc in the right place to allow the dash to fit perfectly flush - I still have to take out again & reroute some of the cables but plan to do it when I have the correct reversing camera connection - have it switched so the screnn comes on to camera when I put on rear work light as I use for reversing but existing camera is not directly compatible so need to cut & splice reversing camera cable.

What you should also remember is that the dash will sit effectively 1 or 2mm further out, as the mounting for the double din headunit fits between the dash and the new dash surround. 2020 P300 HSE
Post #590335 5th Jan 2017 10:44am
Gutch1985

England 
What did you do with the powerful one mate? Is it for sale?
Post #601172 12th Feb 2017 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>