↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > ECU advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
martindavis

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
ECU advice
Hi all the ecu is dead on my 1999 defender td5 is it possible to fit a discovery ecu with a serial number nnn as I have a discovery ecu fitted at the minute just to get it going it has a serial number of msb and drives like a pig I know the nnn is digital and the msb is analog and the discovery software can not be taken out of it (the msb ecu) I only ask as there are more discovery ecu about than defender ones thanks in advance Razz
Post #577672 13th Nov 2016 11:57pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Using NNN ecu is possible, but you must use ECU for car with manual gearbox, like NNN00120, NNN500020 or NNN500250.
And you must program the right map for Defender, into the ECU, and for the correct version of engine (probably Euro2). This is just few minutes with Nanocom.
Using Disco2 ECU in Def is possible, but the throttle response is like on/off switch and temperature indicator works in opposite, so quite useless. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #577722 14th Nov 2016 12:22pm
srod

Other than the standard defender map, are there any settings that are specific to the particular vehicle that would need entering also, like injector codes etc? How do you obtain that info if the old ECU is dead?

For example - is it possible/worth taking a backup of an ECU whilst it's working, so that in the event of having to replace it, the new one can simply be reflashed with the old info?
Post #577724 14th Nov 2016 12:50pm
dorsetsmith

Post #577726 14th Nov 2016 1:03pm
martindavis

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Thank you all very helpful information on with getting the ecu now
Post #577836 14th Nov 2016 10:19pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
In TD5 engine ECU there are only few settings:
1. loading the right map - only for newer NNN type ECUs, with old MSB type ECUs only by changing the whole ECU or replacing (soldering) the memory chip inside
2. pairing the ECU with the imo/alarm ECU (10AS in Defender, BCU in Discovery 2) - easy with diagnostic equipment - in one car (one IMO ECU) you can pair more engine ECUs and than just swap them without using the diagnostic equipment
3. injector codes - read from the old ECU and write to the new, if not possible, they are written on the injectors, so removing the valve cover
4. gas pedal type - 2 way (older) or 3 way (newer) - just choose the right with diagnostic

2. - necessary for starting engine, with some modification inside ECU the IMO pairing need can be removed
4. - if not correct, engine will only idle
3. - needed for smooth engine run
1. - needed for correct engine function

for short test or in case of trouble somewhere outside only 2. and 4. is needed to run the engine again "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #578099 16th Nov 2016 8:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1