↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Trump for President....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
The similarities to the UK and the Brexit vote are real and worrying.

When one time supporters in both countries start to see that what they thought they voted for can't be delivered then we will see real anger that they have been misled.
It is interesting that the voting patterns in both countries show large groups voting for what was presented as change but for those voters feels like a roll back to a simpler more understandable time.

Now before I am accused of not relating it to Land Rovers we have a choice of when we go back to.
The 1950's when they could not build Series 1's fast enough to meet the demand after the war surplus jeeps around the world were wearing out.
The 1960's when the Series II was being outsold in key markets by cheaper foreign competition.
The 1970's when the Series III was a chronically under invested vehicle stymied by appalling labour relations across the country.
And after that we were in the EEC/EU and apparently we have agreed not to go back to that. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #577095 11th Nov 2016 1:21pm
Lateralus

United States 
I voted for Trump
He wasn't my first choice in our presidential primary though. In retrospect he was the best suited to combat a heavily biased media. In the US, cable news, prime time TV shows, sports media, music, Hollywood and comedy shows are all heavily liberal biased. They've painted him as racist for supporting our laws on legal immigration instead of mass immigration that Democrats hope will strengthen their voter base and make us more "diverse".

This election is the first time I've seen protesters destroying property and calling for violence after the result. Many of our colleges are filled with professors who teach our pliable youth that America since it's founding is morally corrupt and is still as racist and totalitarian as ever.

Under Obama we've seen peak identity politics deployed to draw divisions and strengthen the base of the Democratic party. The affordable care act has largely failed, religious freedom targeted under health care laws, executive orders signed to peck away at gun rights, revenue squandered for green energy failures, attacks on the coal industry, racially motivated crime spurred by biased media reporting, dangerous foreign policy blunders etc.

America is not a democracy but a representative republic and our popular vote doesn't win elections. This election was a big middle finger to the Democratic party and their 8 to 9 long years of identity politics. It was also a repudiation of the Republican establishment who have been weak against Democrats and the president.

America is a sovereign nation with borders and laws that must be enforced. America is a melting pot that has benefited from a diverse citizenry and should continue that tradition. It should not import large groups of people who's beliefs are not compatible with our Constitution and who are mortal enemies of our way of life. The American people will not be social engineering experiments for elitist progressives and their ilk. Americans will always stand up for their second amendment rights and push back when the pendulum swings too far.

Now, if we could only get Land Rover to make an importable Defender to the US without losing its ruggedness and iconic features.
Post #582794 5th Dec 2016 4:01am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
The American people will not be social engineering experiments for elitist progressives

and here was me thinking that is exactly what the declaration and the constitution are. It was two fingers up to British tories who thought of people and land as being possessions.
"We hold these truths to be self evident..."

edited for documentation accuracy 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #582824 5th Dec 2016 11:15am
Lateralus

United States 
The great social experiment it was. We do not want to be babysitters for people who align themselves with doctrine that stones people to death for what they deem is moral corruption. We do not want to import masses of people with criminal backgrounds for the sake of cheap labor or political votes.

A friend of mine from Great Britain earned his citizenship the legal way and this administration's wreckless policy on immigration is slap in the face to people like him. Let country's like Germany, Sweden and France experiment with their culture. I hear it's wildly popular.
Post #582877 5th Dec 2016 4:58pm
Lateralus

United States 
Rickydodah wrote:
^^^^^^^ Me too. Neither were ideal candidates but I think Trump aligns more with the UK. I pity the voters in the US it must of been like trying to choose which one of your nuts you want kicking Confused

It was actually an easy decision to make. Hillary Clinton, a millionaire having produced nothing but IOU'S has an abysmal record in her political career and in no way deserves a second chance handling the middle east. She was sold to Americans as being a champion of women but has a long record of attacking the female victims of her husband.

College educated or not, voting for someone based on gender is about as uneducated as it gets which is why many Democrats wanted her to win.
Post #582893 5th Dec 2016 6:40pm
Lateralus

United States 
fumiyasu wrote:
Muddybigdog wrote:
http://www.statisticbrain.com/voting-statistics/

As data geek, very good data what actually happened in the US, Clinton actually received more votes than Trump,

What is more interesting is that there are more Hispanic voting for Trump than the last republican candidate despite Trump's wall and everything....

The wall isn't meant to keep Hispanics out of the US. It's meant to have controlled immigration where people coming here are vetted in some way and their intentions clear. Those college educated progressives would love nothing more than to have every person of color believe that trump was a white supremacist out to make America white again. Many college educated but low information voters gobbled this notion up but nothing could be further from the truth.

In the United States, if you disagree with progressive Democrats you are racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic and stupid. If you are a person of color, a woman or gay and disagree with the progressive left you are a bigger enemy than a white male on the right. Progressives who teach tolerance and diversity are neither tolerant or diverse in their way of thinking.
Post #582896 5th Dec 2016 7:01pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
A little like UK elections, I'd agree that it was slim pickings between the two candidates on offer.

However, what I do question is just how quickly many people are to forget that Bush, and the Republican Party, played a decent part in getting the US (and the world) to the place it is today.

I'd hasten to say that very few political leaders of the recent decades have much to hold their heads high about. Following on from that, I fear that Trump will follow in the same footsteps... great at spouting rhetoric and even better at lining their own pockets, and that of family and friends, and ensuring the status quo changes very little.

It would also be fair to argue that Trumps 'maverick' approach, which has appealed to those who feel disenfranchised, could create some dangerous tensions on a global scale. That, in itself, is of concern to many.
Post #582909 5th Dec 2016 7:49pm
keith

Scotland 

Thumbs Up
Post #582966 5th Dec 2016 10:56pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I think, if there are any parallels to be drawn between brexit and the Trump election, it's simply that it's in some way a backlash against those who see themselves as the "political elite" and believe that where we are now is just fine. This is the main reason for the demographics of the voters for each side. It's not some right wing backlash or some racist driven thing, it's simply that there are a LOT of people that never get a voice in their country and don't see their situation (financial or family) getting any better if things stay as they are.

Trump offered a positive message without trying to cuddle up to the liberal media. Clinton... well TBH I never really understood what her policies actually were as she spent most of the time just defending her record and giving the impression that, in her hands, things would go on as they were. At no point did she put forward a positive vision of change for the future of her country. The fact that she was stupid enough to think setting up a private mail server because whitehouse security was too much hassle didn't help, especially because she didn't hold her hands up and say "it was a stupid mistake, I hold my hands up" but instead took the line of denial and then justification in yet more political Censored .

The Brexit campaign offered a positive view of a future outside Europe with the UK increasing it's standing within the world. The remain campaign spent the whole campaign basically telling everyone what an awful country the UK was and how we should just suck it up and stay in Europe because leaving would be apocalyptical, probably triggering WWIII. At no point did the remain campaign put forward a positive view of a future in Europe. The ONLY argument to stay within Europe from the remain campaign was "well, it may be Censored now and yes it will get worse but it's better than leaving".

In both cases, when it comes down to it, it's a choice between a side that's offering a positive vision of change (even if it's a pipe dream) and a side that's pretty much saying, yes we know it's Censored and we're not going to do anything to change that. Yes, Trump is a complete Censored but then he's probably no different to any of the past presidents in that regard, just most of them have been better at playing the political game than Trump is. I suspect Trump will soon learn how to be presidential and will almost certainly not deliver on many, if any, of his promises but then that's not really any different to any other politician really.

A few years from now we'll know the eventual outcome of both decisions, what we won't know of course is how different the outcome would be if we'd chosen differently. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #583040 6th Dec 2016 12:02pm
Lateralus

United States 
Could be as simple as collectivism vs individualism in both the US and UK? In both elections the people wanted to establish their country's sovereignty and focus on their own needs rather than a global need.
Post #583091 6th Dec 2016 4:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Couldn't agree more with that sentence. Hit the nail on the head there. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #583094 6th Dec 2016 4:56pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
The Dutch government making friends with the new president
Post #596903 28th Jan 2017 6:06am
Froglaise

Rolling with laughter
Post #596920 28th Jan 2017 10:00am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
if nothing else Trump is clearly a fortune teller.

I'm sure many months ago Trump suggested Britain or was it 'parts of Birmingham are lawless' ....... looks like the papers are only just getting up to speed with reality. Not only that I'm sure Trump was ridiculed at the time for making such a comment.

I'm afraid the reality is there's far too many do gooders out there that won't accept things are pretty Censored and they won't accept the reality and large cause for the Censored poor state of affairs.

hopefully sooner than later some of these do gooder will wake up and smell the coffee!

take a quick look at where the vast majority of gang, knife crime and serious crime originates. sure once you've seen a common trend in anything it's not too difficult to put to put measure in place to resolve it.....unless of course you might be branded something that is deemed not to be pc.

for example if your engine(s) kept failing because you didn't use oil in them - you'd start using oil.
or if you'd go on your travel with bucket of petrol and lit candle in the boot and your car kept going up in flames - you'd putting said objects in the boot.
if you kept inviting a certain of guest (ie a pedo) to your kids party and they got abused - you'd stop inviting.
if there's a certain group deemed to be prolific in knife crime - wouldn't stop inviting them?

Isn't Trump trying to do some thing similar with his wall?

I might have got this wrong which appears obvious to me then I apologise but to my mind it's all obvious and true, only these days the truth appears to not to be acceptable. A bit like the car crash I was involved in - the truth was clearly dismissed and the fabricated story by the other party whom by appearance appeared to be a visitor from abroad Evil or Very Mad
Post #718687 20th Jul 2018 9:24am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
..... and breath deeply Very Happy
Post #718688 20th Jul 2018 9:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>