↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Trump for President....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
David T wrote:
Do we always have to get the same old "those who voted for Trump are morons" or "those who voted for Brexit are idiots" type statements? I despise Corbyn, Milne, Abbott, Lansmann etc, but I don't regard the people who support them as stupid. Neither would I have, in the event of a Remain vote taken to the streets vandalising property or defacing war memorials.

I accept democracy, who gets the most votes wins, simples. Trump has won, voted for by millions and millions of ordinary American people of all creeds and colours, hopefully he'll water down some of the rhetoric and make concessions where it matters, the Democrats are not going to give him a free rein......

Well put "DavidT". You can add the BBC and the Polling Companies to the list too: they think only the uneducated voted for Brexit and Trump. This is not true. The left wing liberal elite that have had it so good lining their pockets for the last 20 years and are spouting this sort of rubbish to explain what has happened.

And what "fumiyasu" says shows otherwise too. Sometimes you just have to accept that you side lost in a democracy and not be like poor Lilly Allen, Miley Cirus, Cher and Madonna who are protesting at the results.

On the subject of Lilly Allen, how many migrants has she put up in her house yet???? Oh, none. Cheers Don.
Post #576776 10th Nov 2016 12:51pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Misloaded 
Post #576790 10th Nov 2016 1:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Ramsay wrote:
I don't think he will. He will just expect us to start paying our way in it.

We do! Its the other Europeans who don't. 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #576863 10th Nov 2016 6:41pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Living next door to all this has been interesting. It's kind of sad that most Canadians have taken more interest in the US election than they ever would in any domestic election. However, that's the price you pay for being their neighbour. We have far more US television channels and media outlets than Canadian ones, so we are heavily influenced by them. The results of their election will have an effect on this country, but no where near the direct effects of our own government.

It's been clear from the start that the US media has been favouring/pushing for the Clinton campaign, which has also influenced a lot of people here. I think it's quite ignorant that many Canadians are on the "hate Trump" bandwagon. Their political opinions based on slanted media reports, and Facebook posts. It's the internet people!! Do people really think that everything posted on Facebook and twitter is real??!! OMG!!

Today's media is not neutral reporting, it's incredibly biased. NEWS, has become entertainment, and ENTERTAINMENT, has become news. Both of which represent billions of dollars, it's big business.

Politics has entered the realm of entertainment in the last 30 years, it did so once campaigns became not about what the politicians would do if elected, but smear campaigns, exposing (or fabricating) inappropriate actions, and then dragging the opponent through the mud. The biggest "stories" of these latest campaigns are Clintons "emails", and Trumps, "locker room talk". The public eats it up as it's reported like something from a a gossip rag... it becomes the most important thing to base your vote on, and nobody remembers anything about what either candidate stood for.

In my opinion (because everyone is allowed one) the US election wasn't a vote for Trump, but a vote for change, a vote against Clinton, and the establishment. A vote to bring in a different perspective and different ideas. Rarely is change on a national level brought in without controversy or emotional reaction, and this case is no different.

If Clinton would have won, would we be seeing mass protests and near riots in the streets of New York, Chicago, and LA? I would think not. The establishment is, and will be fighting change every way they can, but they lost the most important fight, the vote. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #576895 10th Nov 2016 7:37pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Well written CDN38 👍🏻
Post #576899 10th Nov 2016 7:58pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
CDN38 wrote:
Living next door to all this has been interesting. It's kind of sad that most Canadians have taken more interest in the US election than they ever would in any domestic election. However, that's the price you pay for being their neighbour. We have far more US television channels and media outlets than Canadian ones, so we are heavily influenced by them. The results of their election will have an effect on this country, but no where near the direct effects of our own government.

It's been clear from the start that the US media has been favouring/pushing for the Clinton campaign, which has also influenced a lot of people here. I think it's quite ignorant that many Canadians are on the "hate Trump" bandwagon. Their political opinions based on slanted media reports, and Facebook posts. It's the internet people!! Do people really think that everything posted on Facebook and twitter is real??!! OMG!!

Today's media is not neutral reporting, it's incredibly biased. NEWS, has become entertainment, and ENTERTAINMENT, has become news. Both of which represent billions of dollars, it's big business.

Politics has entered the realm of entertainment in the last 30 years, it did so once campaigns became not about what the politicians would do if elected, but smear campaigns, exposing (or fabricating) inappropriate actions, and then dragging the opponent through the mud. The biggest "stories" of these latest campaigns are Clintons "emails", and Trumps, "locker room talk". The public eats it up as it's reported like something from a a gossip rag... it becomes the most important thing to base your vote on, and nobody remembers anything about what either candidate stood for.

In my opinion (because everyone is allowed one) the US election wasn't a vote for Trump, but a vote for change, a vote against Clinton, and the establishment. A vote to bring in a different perspective and different ideas. Rarely is change on a national level brought in without controversy or emotional reaction, and this case is no different.

If Clinton would have won, would we be seeing mass protests and near riots in the streets of New York, Chicago, and LA? I would think not. The establishment is, and will be fighting change every way they can, but they lost the most important fight, the vote.

Nicely put I reckon it was a protest vote just like Brexit was here folk have had enough of the political crap that comes out time for a change all round
Post #576903 10th Nov 2016 8:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ That's it in a nutshell. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #576930 10th Nov 2016 8:59pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
He may not be the best person, but just like Brexit he offered something that Hilary did not, he promised 'Change', Hilary did not offer any real change, more politics, more bankers, more spin.

The remain for Brexit campaign only offered 'fear of change' and then more of the same.

I might not agree with either at their core but it's hard to ignore the deep seated unhappiness in the world and a desire for something different even if different is horrible.

I'm not sure people know what different is yet but it shows they'd rather risk turmoil and get some change than the keep the status quo.

As the rich get richer and the poor get, in real terms, poorer the western working class world is not a happy place.
Post #576935 10th Nov 2016 9:09pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Oh the irony...

Good to see Trump standing up for the common man Rolling with laughter

The comparison with Brexit is very real, rhetoric wins over substance. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #576951 10th Nov 2016 9:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
ChrisCM wrote:
Ramsay wrote:
I don't think he will. He will just expect us to start paying our way in it.

We do! Its the other Europeans who don't.

I know some of the other nations are no where near our 2%. I see the Trump administration expecting a good amount more than that from us in the future.
Maybe the MoD can sell him the five golf courses they have no decided are surplus to requirements. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #576970 10th Nov 2016 10:14pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Well said CDN.
Pickles.
Post #576971 10th Nov 2016 10:19pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
http://www.statisticbrain.com/voting-statistics/

As data geek, very good data what actually happened in the US, Clinton actually received more votes than Trump, Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #576993 10th Nov 2016 11:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Wasn't that similar to the UK 2015 GE? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #576999 10th Nov 2016 11:17pm
fumiyasu

1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Santorini Black
Muddybigdog wrote:
http://www.statisticbrain.com/voting-statistics/

As data geek, very good data what actually happened in the US, Clinton actually received more votes than Trump,

It interesting you see the young vs old divide there again like the brexit, although less so in the US.

Probably generalising but I do think there is definitely a bit of rejection of globalisation in this all and there is a different attitude to it with younger generations. I do think more younger people now think of how to be individually successful in the world now than worry about how their home nation is doing. If that is true then I think it's a good thing because focusing on nation building is only going to increase global inequality which ultimately increase conflicts (I take a zero sum game view of the world).

I know some people laugh at the concept of "global citizens" call it naive but I do sometimes feel weird that after so many years, we are still spending so much more on military than say, research for cancer or research on how we can get along better together or even education...

I do wonder if they would change their mind when they get older or if this would be an attitude change in the general public 20 years later...

What is more interesting is that there are more Hispanic voting for Trump than the last republican candidate despite Trump's wall and everything....
Post #577042 11th Nov 2016 9:40am
defender4

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Apologies if someone has said this before but it is interesting to note that on the Trump website the link to the page carrying his statement calling for Muslims to be banned from entering the USA, which was available on the morning of the election had disappeared by later that night.

Simple strategy, say what you think people want to hear during the campaign, whip them up, get the votes, and then abandon what you have promised. Isn't that a bit like all those establishment/elite politicians that voters were encouraged to vote against?
Post #577080 11th Nov 2016 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>