↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > ABS/TC Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
harbydog

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Barolo Black
ABS/TC Issues
Hi, my son has a 2003 td5 90. When he bought it, the abs pump would make an intermittent loud pumping noise now and again, mainly when accelerating in lower gears.

My local mechanic said it was air in the brake system as the brakes were spongy. He couldn't bleed them as the nipples were breaking up and recommended a caliper, disc and pad change, as discs and pads were past their best. We did this ourselves as the labour was a lot, and this all went to plan.

But the noise remained.

We acquired the use of a nanocom and this came up with two faults, no output from front left wheel sensor and shuttle valve switch not working. We replaced the wheel sensor and the noise still remained.

We went to change the shuttle valve switch, but I mistakenly thought it was buried in the abs unit under the 8 bolts, but then realised it was bolted on the bottom with 3 bolts. In doing this we damaged the abs unit, but have acquired a new(er) one, but from a discovery. The new shuttle valve has gone on the new(er) abs unit and back in the truck.

The abs pump is still activating, but the new pump is much quieter than the old one, so now I am wondering whether we just had a noisy pump ?

So my question is, should the abs pump be doing stuff while normal driving, for example, accelerating in lower gears ?

We can still hear it doing something at the same times it used to, but more quietly now. Those I have asked do not think it should be doing anything, but can anyone confirm. All it's doing is making a, now, quiet noise, no dash lights, no activation of brakes or anything else noticeable.

Assuming it shouldn't be activating under normal driving, what would be your next port of call.

No faults are now coming up on the nanocom. Is there any way on the nanocom to log why the abs pump is being activated ?

Thank you for your help.
Post #688799 25th Feb 2018 4:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1