↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Service
Going to my td5s next service myself, anyone recommend what service kit to buy as there seems to be a few on the market with varying prices.... Britpart/Bearmach etc

Any tips also greatly appreciated. Thumbs Up Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #51977 9th Jan 2011 4:39pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
When servicing - dont use those cheap parts buy genuine filters...cost isnt much more and quality is massive.

Better all round. Mike
Post #51989 9th Jan 2011 5:58pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
mse wrote:
When servicing - dont use those cheap parts buy genuine filters...cost isnt much more and quality is massive.

Better all round.

I agree that the Britpart kits are not what they should be quality wise but the bearmach ones are very good, never had a problem with one yet and i buy mine at £16 each so they work out very cheap compared to Genuine ones and because of this i change all my filters every 12k miles and i also get cheaper oil and change that every 6K miles. Works well for me anyway.

Must say that everything else i use genuine parts or uprated parts though, i just like to service things often.

Pete.
Post #51996 9th Jan 2011 6:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Zinke a mate of mine works at Castrel and he told me that the oil is put into different tubes with different labels on but all comes out the same batch and they charge different prices for it ?.........so buying cheap oil you are most probably getting the same stuff anyway Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #52000 9th Jan 2011 6:22pm
mse

I know with Parts (family in the business) that there is a difference between cheap and genuine.

Genuine does have a range of things that are different to the pattern, depending on what it is...for example - tooling for accuracy is a genuine part where as for pattern its the tools that are more "used"

Usually manufacturers of oil and stuff like that either add additives or take from a different area of the tank.

Its well known that fuel for supermarkets is from the bottom of the tank

Even if i was doing 6k services (which i do on the other land rovers) i still use genuine parts for all critical systems

Buy cheap...pay twice Mike
Post #52003 9th Jan 2011 6:27pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Mike your right i would only fit genuine parts for the sake off a few quid and piece off mind Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #52005 9th Jan 2011 6:31pm
Zinke

Im not trying to say that they are as good as genuine filters but i can buy nearly 4 sets of the bearmach filters for the same price as one set of genuine. And the bearmach ones arent as cheap and nasty as the britpart ones are, ive seen them before and the fuel filter is very poor, saw one rust out in under a year as they are not painted. If fact i would be very surprised if the if the bearmach ones didnt come from the same factory. Its not always worth paying the extra for it to have land rover stamped on it (unless your under warranty still) when a OE part is the same thing, sometimes for half the price.

Anyway this is my personal opinion and the way i work, i try to use OE parts when possible and then genuine parts if i cant get OE ones. I only fit pattern parts when a customer asks for them (having warned them first) or no other opinions are available and they normally take much more fitting and fail much sooner.

Pete.
Post #52012 9th Jan 2011 7:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

Zinke wrote:
Im not trying to say that they are as good as genuine filters but i can buy nearly 4 sets of the bearmach filters for the same price as one set of genuine. And the bearmach ones arent as cheap and nasty as the britpart ones are, ive seen them before and the fuel filter is very poor, saw one rust out in under a year as they are not painted. If fact i would be very surprised if the if the bearmach ones didnt come from the same factory. Its not always worth paying the extra for it to have land rover stamped on it (unless your under warranty still) when a OE part is the same thing, sometimes for half the price.

Anyway this is my personal opinion and the way i work, i try to use OE parts when possible and then genuine parts if i cant get OE ones. I only fit pattern parts when a customer asks for them (having warned them first) or no other opinions are available and they normally take much more fitting and fail much sooner.

Pete.

People (mainly land rover people - who you can sometime stereo type Embarassed ) would like you to believe that, but its not the case.

Genuine ones carry their own 12 month warranty, are quality controlled, good qaulity and built to work.

I heard that from one of the intermediaries that most of these so call re-packaged identical ones are re-packaged etc.

Price doesnt enter into it (i can get none genuine at cost...which you would cry if you knew what they sold for) but i still buy (for the past 15 years) genuine Oil, Fuel and where i have them air filters.

Only time i would say and dont is where you are buying a brand itself - with similar backup like EBC or Brembo

And before anyone says - some are repackaged; but where you get supercharged sports running Brembo brakes - they are repacked genuine LR...and cost more Mike
Post #52014 9th Jan 2011 7:10pm
Zinke

Well i have run a independent land rover workshop for the last 10 years and must of changed 1000's of filters. I have fitted genuine and patten filters, from ones that cost the nearly the same as genuine ones to ones that cost pennys (yes i buy things at trade prices too!) And the ones i use at the moment look identical to the land rover ones when i have had them side by side on they workbench, same tooling marks, pressings and paint colour. Just have different things printed on them.

Anyway my point is i have never had a problem with the ones i use and neither have my customers who return year after year. I use genuine where it is needed but do not like paying way to much for something that says land rover on it when other products will do exactly the same job. Remember we are talking about filters here and not other parts. And as land rover dont make there own filters OE ones will come off the exact same production line at the same time.

The only thing you will get with the genuine part is the 12 month warranty, But if a OE filter failed and caused damage then they would still have to cover you in the same way, its something to do with the product sold being fit for purpose or something like that, cant remember the exact details.

Anyway im sure you are right about the quality control but is it really worth paying all that extra for? If a OE part has a visible defect then just dont fit it, im sure some genuine ones will slip through quality control too.

Anyway my main point is, even if the genuine filters are better made, on a vehicle thats out of warranty, is it really worth paying the extra? Good quality patten parts are still good quality parts, and im sure some things are better made than the stuff land rover provides!

Pete
Post #52034 9th Jan 2011 7:48pm
mse

Zinke wrote:
Well i have run a independent land rover workshop for the last 10 years and must of changed 1000's of filters. I have fitted genuine and patten filters, from ones that cost the nearly the same as genuine ones to ones that cost pennys (yes i buy things at trade prices too!) And the ones i use at the moment look identical to the land rover ones when i have had them side by side on they workbench, same tooling marks, pressings and paint colour. Just have different things printed on them.

Anyway my point is i have never had a problem with the ones i use and neither have my customers who return year after year. I use genuine where it is needed but do not like paying way to much for something that says land rover on it when other products will do exactly the same job. Remember we are talking about filters here and not other parts. And as land rover dont make there own filters OE ones will come off the exact same production line at the same time.

The only thing you will get with the genuine part is the 12 month warranty, But if a OE filter failed and caused damage then they would still have to cover you in the same way, its something to do with the product sold being fit for purpose or something like that, cant remember the exact details.

Anyway im sure you are right about the quality control but is it really worth paying all that extra for? If a OE part has a visible defect then just dont fit it, im sure some genuine ones will slip through quality control too.

Anyway my main point is, even if the genuine filters are better made, on a vehicle thats out of warranty, is it really worth paying the extra? Good quality patten parts are still good quality parts, and im sure some things are better made than the stuff land rover provides!

Pete

Its not strictly true...first cost is a lot cheaper than trade Thumbs Up (i get both!), when cost is the supply to the trade for them to have trade Whistle

On making their own, yes its strictly true that land rover dont make their own, nor then do they "make" 50% of the car Exclamation but what they do is work in partnership with suppliers to get items as they design and/or to their specification etc etc

The old addage of "ive fitted millions and never has there been a problem" a very close personal friend owns his own indep. LR business and he fits genuine, unless there is a specific reason - he buys them in huge packs and they are pennies more but just better.
Although who knows the long term damage you do or the tollerance...many cars with low miles and services using genuine kit tends to last...plus i trust the genuine/branded parts to work everytime and take more abuse...better safety factors.

Who knows if X engine problem was caused by Y crappy part...im sure sometimes this is the case, but people dont put 2 and 2 together. You just need to read some of the oil posts on here!

Often have i encountered those who fit a pattern part that cost X saving 60% and it lasted 70% less than the genuine or fails and leaves you stranded (been there), or is more noisy or something that isnt as good.

One day when you are bored - cut one open, i did you would be interested in the difference.

As for quality control and warranty...yes i want it and will pay a little more because at the end of the day i dont want to waste my life doing something i have already done because of failure of something or for something to cost me twice to be no further forward...

Its a false economy and offers no actual saving - unless you only count immediate physical pounds Mike
Post #52041 9th Jan 2011 8:04pm
Zinke

Lucky man the get them at that cost! Very Happy

My point is they are not going to change the spec of the filter half way through a run of production just because they change whats written on them at the end. It would cost too much to change it half way through.

I just dont like to pay for something to have land rover on it. just because it costs less doesnt mean its inferior to the genuine part. Just remember how much you are paying just for the writing on it. You just have to be careful that you are getting what you think you are, a lot of the problems ive found is that when you buy a OE part its not OE (bushes are a good example of this, Britpart where selling bushes as OE ones but when you measured them they where a different size). A good example of something that is exactly the same though is the TD5 MAF, If you go to siemans direct you can get one with the same production run numbers on them for about half the price of the land rover one. Now im sure you will agree that your just paying for the land rover packaging there?

Anyway, back to filters. My final point here is just because its not got land rover on it doesnt mean its not as good (it may even be better). I totally agree that you dont want to buy cheap nasty filters or any other part for your land rover, but just because its not genuine doesnt mean its not as good as the part land rover sell you.

Also, personally (and to a lot of my customers) price does come into it and im a very envious man if you dont have to worry about it! Very Happy

This has been very interesting!

Pete.
Post #52044 9th Jan 2011 8:28pm
mooro47

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Never mind all that, I brought a TD5 service kit from Devon 4x4 and it had Bearmach filters in it. Everything has to be fit for purpose, sale of goods act etc. The real question is how the hell do you get to the oil filter to get it off? I've got a chain type filter wrench but at least one, preferbly two more arms that are 6ft long and stick thin would help. I thought I'd change the oil myself and put my choice of oil in it rather than any old chip fat that dealers can get hold of on the cheap. Didn't expect to spend hours trying to get the old one off Confused
Post #70410 10th May 2011 4:14pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
mooro47 wrote:
Everything has to be fit for purpose, sale of goods act etc.

Good luck with that theory Shocked
Post #70412 10th May 2011 4:25pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
With more and more stuff being manufactured in India/China etc I think 'sh*t for purpose' is more apt tbh 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #70577 11th May 2011 8:25pm
hugh_b

I look at it like this:

My 90 cost me a fair chunk of dosh. I've spent a fair bit getting it how i like it too.

For the sake a of a few extra quid once a year, I can't see a reason to buy pattern parts such as oil filters, fuel filters etc. I run mobil1 oil in mine and all genuine filters which gives me some piece of mind that i've done everything i can do look after it....i know how angry i'd be with myself if I was to wreck a major part because I wanted to save £5 on a filter!

I also only fill up at petrol stations such as Texaco, BP, Shell etc.

Hugh
Post #70591 11th May 2011 10:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>