↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > New Triumph Bobber Motorbike
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
New Triumph Bobber Motorbike
I've never been into bikes but this new Triumph looks great.

I think this is beautiful...........and I want one.

Post #572989 24th Oct 2016 1:44am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The Triumph range and engines are excellent having owned them for 20 odd years. The triples with the crank set at 120 degrees means there's bags of grunt immediately available when you open the throttle without having to mess with the gears. The finish is also fantastic being the only marque that caters for that great British climate of ours. The only possible draw backs from my perspective.....

1. It's owned by John Bloor a house builder.

2. It is a Hinckley not Meriden.

3. Despite the great British name many of the parts are actually made in Thailand.

4. It is chain driven.

This was spotted August near Triumphs R & D headquarters in Spain. On another forum the opinion is that the T120 Black Bonneville is a much more capable original styled machine. Several marques are now jumping onto the H-D Bobber style, only they are the best at it. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #572990 24th Oct 2016 3:13am
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
With my job I first went to the 'new' Triumph when it was in the back streets of Birmingham around late 80's. Just the name was bought by Bloor and the company was started from scratch.

I go every year to the Hinckley factory and the place is amazing. I know a few employees of Triumph and although I dont know the details of this bike I can confirm that the percentage of parts made at the Hinckley site surprised me.

I asked a few years ago how much of a particular bike was made on site and was told it was only the brakes, wheels and tyres with their associated electronics made off site.

Guys like Bloor should be knighted in my opinion. They need to be encouraged - Triumph is a fantastic worldwide success story.
Post #573095 24th Oct 2016 12:24pm
K9F

Cut and paste from another forum.....

"The Triumph Bobber will officially be in Triumph's 2017 portfolio. It will use a remapped version of the T120's 1200cc engine to give more bottom end grunt. Triumph has yet to announce the asking price for the Bobber. There will be 150 custom accessories available to put the owner's personal stamp on their machine. It's nearest rival is Harley's own Forty-Eight."

A pair of 48s.

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #573819 27th Oct 2016 7:34pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
agree, I think it looks great ,maybe I might get rid of the gs
Post #573853 27th Oct 2016 8:56pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
I must admit those Harleys do look the business.

However they look a bit........fat. Which is probably how they are trying to look?

I still prefer the lighter, simpler, somewhat older look of the Triumph.

To my eye the Triumph needs to be a lot cheaper than your HDs, the bobber should to be aimed at a different bracket.
Post #573902 28th Oct 2016 2:40am
K9F

Leviathan wrote:
However they look a bit........fat. .......

The Triumphs I can assure you are fatter taking the pipes into account. The Harley front forks were beefed up from 39mm to 49mm for 2017 on the 48s but not the 883 Irons. It does make them look fatter.

Click image to enlarge

Nice machine though with some nice styling touches.

Click image to enlarge

Rolling with laughter

Like the majority of the owners...fat and old. That's me that is! But the C of G is really low and makes handling quite surprisingly agile. The saddle is at the same height as my 10 year olds bicycle. The Harley Sportsters have 'heritage' (that many will buy into) having been in constant production since 1957. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #573917 28th Oct 2016 8:15am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I can't say I like that Bobber, the seat looks a bit silly. Harley tried something similar with the Softail Rockers 7or8 yrs ago and they were crap, sweet to look at but horrible to ride.

I also found the low CofG a boon with the Harleys, especially the 'Glide and the Springer Softail. They both weighed in at around 350kg but were far easier to shunt around the garage than the GS12's which were about 100kg lighter but much taller.
Post #573951 28th Oct 2016 12:14pm
Steve W

United Kingdom 
Like that HD model looked great with VH pipes on it........was down at Shaws HD looking at them last week, those two look very nice K9F, as does the 90 I've used yours as have others for inspiration..... Hope all goes well with the sale, and enjoy the bikes .....

Need to see the Triumph first before I decide what direction I'm taking ........
Post #574014 28th Oct 2016 6:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1