↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma oil filter housing damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jlprojects

Wales 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Puma oil filter housing damage
Can anyone comment if they have seen this sort of damge before. See picture in "my gallery" tiltle "puma damage". I had the oil and filter changed at the dealers and then this happened.
Sorry don't know how to insert picture, tried and failed. John
Post #51730 8th Jan 2011 3:41pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Take it back and tell them to sort it FOC

130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #51731 8th Jan 2011 3:47pm
jlprojects

Hi AndrewS,
Tried even threatened to dump it on there doorstep. I've spent the last 10 days trying to sort this out with the Polish dealer, UK dealer and Land Rover. I'm glad I'm not in the UK as the UK dealer would not be standing now, I've never heard so much C***p in my life from a dealer. John
Post #51732 8th Jan 2011 3:52pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Has someone chiselled that off thinking its a conventional cannister type filter? There appears to be no damage to the hex nut, whoever serviced it last needs to replace it pronto - can't be too much cost can it? Is a transit one the same?
Post #51813 8th Jan 2011 8:04pm
jlprojects

No, the dealer serviced the puma before I drove to Poland. I was in the centre of Lodz when the red light came on, about 10 seconds later the engine made a few knocking sounds and it's now scrap. Land Rover Assist are shipping it back to the UK. I've spoken to the Polish dealer and the UK dealer and Land Rover UK and it seems it is not covered by warranty.
Well scrap may be to strog a word, the Polish dealer said they tried to turn over the engine and when I went to look at it it had the damaged filter still on and the MIL light was still on. I do not think they tried very hard. When it gets back to the UK my brother is going to change the oil housing cover and filter, replace oil and reset MIL light. See what happens then. John
Post #51857 8th Jan 2011 9:36pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
That is a catastrophic failure and therefore should be covered by warranty.

Glyn Sheep
Post #51863 8th Jan 2011 9:44pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Contact Land Rover Customer Care. Explain what has happened calmly and dont shout, explain how disappointed you are and perhaps mention that you were looking at replacing the vehicle with a new one etc etc. Tell them who the dealer was that carried out the service. They should kick the dealers ass and you should get a new engine FOC. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #51865 8th Jan 2011 9:47pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Glynparry25 wrote:
That is a catastrophic failure and therefore should be covered by warranty.

Glyn Sheep

Wont that depend if Land Rover say it was damaged buy one of their workshops refitting it or by something flicking up off the road/track and causing the damage in which case its a insurance job? And if it was the Workshop fitting it then surely the dealer is liable not land rover?

Pete.
Post #51867 8th Jan 2011 9:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jlprojects

Zinke,
Totally agree, I continue to discuss with the dealer who is doing his best to move the issue to Land Rover. When the issue is 1. Did or was the damage the result of a technician over-tightening the unit, or 2. A component failure.
I have had several discussions ranging from the dealer telling me that I was off road at the time and damaged it. Also that I hit a pavement, not sure about that one. Also that something hit the cover and damaged it. Looking at the cover I see no scratches or indeed no impact damage. Also looking at pictures in my gallery the land rover has not ever been off road or even green laned, having been owned by my brother before me. I have owned the land rover for about 3 weeks and I'm thinking of naming it "Chucky". John
Post #51874 8th Jan 2011 10:06pm
jlprojects

One point I do need to mention is that the Polish dealer told me he would carry out the repair under warranty. The Polish dealer then discussed with the UK dealer, who said no. I spoke to the UK dealer service manager who told me he had informed land rover UK that it was not possible that the damage was caused by his technician as he had overtighened a unit and it did not crack. As I told the UK service manager, it was not a comparable test, how can he even think to compare a test done in a workshop environment with my land rover that I drove to poland. Does anyone on the forum know how the material reacts in different conditions, is it possible to overtighten and then crack later, engine vibration temperature etc. I would still like to resolve this wit hthe dealer, if not my only course of action is through the courts or perhaps my NFU insurance via a claim. John
Post #51878 8th Jan 2011 10:19pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Whats the cover made of? I assume its plastic as all the ones on other engines ive seen are.

If there is no impact marks on it (hard to see from the pics but looks ok to me) then the only way it can be damaged is the dealer over tightened it. Ask the dealer to find out what it was tightened with and if he says anything other than a torque wrench then youve got him over a barrel! A crack like that looks to me like they put it back on with a impact gun!

Pete.
Post #51879 8th Jan 2011 10:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jlprojects

It's made of plastic, the dealer said it was torqued to 25.5 Nm as per the manual, never expected any other answer really. John
Post #51894 8th Jan 2011 11:55pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
By looking at the crack shape (the way it is strained) seems to me the failure started when some chap tried to remove the cover.

Stupid question: is that hex shape to place the wrench? or maybe they used the other sort of clamp tool (whatever the name is).

Anyway, you should get a new engine FOC. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #51907 9th Jan 2011 1:27am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
another careful dealer who check there work Evil or Very Mad 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #51919 9th Jan 2011 9:27am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
That is as mentioned a catastrophic failure and a written off engine.

What you are into now, is split into a debate on 2 things: (and we will assume its a loss of oil as i bet it is)
1) Did something occur that caused the filter housing to fail
2) Did the dealer servicing it damage it and thereforecause the failure.

Well in 1 this is simple, regardless of off road or not (as they will honour the warranty FACT) then its a warranty claim and any dealer can sort it.

if its 2 then it ISNT a warranty claim - its a DEALER claim and this becomes an ARSE as ive been there. Eventually if you talk the right language Land Rover will help - but this is primarily a dealer fault and the claim is there.

Now as much as you wont like this and as much as it is the dealer (and their incompetence) there is a case that you need to make sure you dont make you liable by NOT checking the work - you are responsbile for that and they could get out of the claim if you didnt take action to minimse the damage.

But for me it would see 2, dealer did a Censored poor job, didnt check it, cause your failure and they need to pay for the new engine and are within their rights to do all the work at their cost under English Law. I dont think this is a warranty issue...but keep LR UK on side as they have some minor power over the dealers (who are an independent business after all.

Good luck...i sense a few days battle coming on. Mike
Post #51923 9th Jan 2011 9:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>