↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 130 - Tow machine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Welcome to the forum Ged, awesome truck your building, saw your you tube video's a week or two back, glad your on the forum now to share more info, as i dont go on fb at all Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #572935 23rd Oct 2016 9:02pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
This is going to be great. Sounds nice in the video Thumbs Up
Post #572940 23rd Oct 2016 9:10pm
Red8eard

2003 Defender 130 Other HCPU Chawton White
Cheers guys, hope i find some likeminded people on here Smile
Cupboard wrote:
Is that and air assisted gearbox? What's the sound between between gears?

And have you got any more information about the air suspension? That looks awesome.

Yea its an air assisted clutch slave cylinder can push the pedal down with your finger even with the HD clutch alot of lorrys use them.

The air suspension I made mostly out of off the shelf bits and some lasered plate. Firestone bus bags custom mounts and an airlift controller and manifold bag travels around 14" but my shocks are only 10" but i didnt want to give up the ride of the bilstiens for more travel.

Few pics of them

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mounted the tank under the seatbox too the chassis and added an airline port. Cummins had an onboard air compressor so that was taken care off, you could use and electric one though.

Click image to enlarge

It isnt anything anyone couldn't tackle takes a bit of time, i found a thread on Pirate which inspired me and Xeng owner did something similar also.
Post #572987 24th Oct 2016 1:05am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Thanks Thumbs Up

Are you just controlling the bags' pressure or do you have some height measurement too?
Post #573007 24th Oct 2016 8:18am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
What stops the air bag folding on itself? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #573012 24th Oct 2016 8:44am
Red8eard

Cupboard wrote:
Thanks Thumbs Up

Are you just controlling the bags' pressure or do you have some height measurement too?

Just with pressures atm, Im not really worried about self leveling or anything, Not really sure how much ill play with it either tbh. But it definilty is alot nicer than putting +2 HD 90 rear springs in to support the cummins and have a harsh spring rate.

The bump stops are set at a height before the minimum bag height so the axle stops before the bag folds in with its fully deflated.
Post #573058 24th Oct 2016 11:04am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
excossack wrote:
What stops the air bag folding on itself?

The way they're made they tuck inside themselves as the air leaves them.
A combination of the pressure in them and the rest of the suspension keeping the spring travel largely vertical stops them kinking.

I got myself in a right muddle of confusion when trying to understand air suspension the first time because I was thinking they were like a stretchy balloon. They actually work more like a piston that you can vary the amount of air in. The pressure (in theory) has very little to do with their extended length, and actually if the air bag is shaped cleverly you can have suspension that's softer the more you extend it which is the opposite of what I'd thought. In the real world it seems that it's actually slightly harder when taller (according to manufacturer specs) but there's not a lot in it. That does need height sensors though.

Basic air suspension controllers just adjust the pressure which is OK for a low performance street vehicle but not that great for high performance or off road vehicles. If you keep the pressure equal in all four corners, as you corner it will tend to let the air out of the side on the outside of the bend, which is the exact opposite of what you want. In the same way if you have the same pressure front/back but more weight on the back then it will sit down. For that, you need pressure and height sensors on each corner and a controller that says "this corner is at high pressure and well compressed so it needs more air".

For off road use say on a side slope, the controller needs to say "the left has more pressure and is compressed and we're leaning that way, so add more air to the left", or if you've got diagonally opposite wheels in the air then the controller needs to take air out of the compressed corners (so retracting them) and extend the floating corners to try and get them in touch with the floor. You can't just do it with pressure and you can't just do it with height - or at least you can't if you want the best out of the system.

What you can do is cross link them so front left with back right, and front right with back left and then programme some sort of front/rear pressure difference and that will get you almost where you need to be just on pressure. That does still leave you with the potential for them to all be operating at one or other end of their travel but at least they're even and not leaning you the wrong way in corners.

Edit: Red8eard Thumbs Up thanks.
I've been toying with the idea of making something myself but just keep coming back to thinking it's probably more hassle than it's worth.
Post #573066 24th Oct 2016 11:27am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Very Cool Cool

Watching this thread with great interest Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #573106 24th Oct 2016 12:56pm
Red8eard

got stuck into the engine fine tuning tonight, set the timing tappets and lash. also found the source of my rough idle problem a sticking stop solinoid, i had a spare from my old disco 300tdi. So i fitted that and you could almost put a coin on her now.

Quick video of it running, Ill have to make the intake and silencer for the compressor soon its huffing and clicking is rather annoying lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg-j8_TcMtE

Also got an earth battery isolator installed but not wired yet.

Click image to enlarge

-Ged

Last edited by Red8eard on 25th Oct 2016 8:44am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #573222 24th Oct 2016 11:45pm
dorsetsmith

sounds good interesting to note parts work from 300tdi to Cummins

have worked with Cummins 3512, 3516, KTA and QSK engine
Post #573244 25th Oct 2016 8:14am
Red8eard

The VE injection pump body is common too both only reason they swap. I dont think there would be much else the boost pin is swappable also.
Post #573250 25th Oct 2016 8:50am
dorsetsmith

bigger lumps used PT injection pump body
Post #573255 25th Oct 2016 9:10am
Red8eard

Yea the P7100 is a good pump but not as refined as the rotary. Defiantly fit for more power, Ive seen people take the humble ve out to 400hp with some internal mods. Im thinking of spacing the dynamic timing plate and AFC spring for a bit more advance at the top end while keeping the stock static timing at the bottom for nice grunt. Im pleasantly surprised so far with the rotary.

She will supply more than enough for the landy axles at any rate. Laughing
Post #573305 25th Oct 2016 2:52pm
Red8eard

So ive been working away on the wiring this week, Mainly focused on the cubby box

Loom under the box

Click image to enlarge

Connectors for the box in the trap door to get too the tbox these also pull through to get the lid out easily.

Click image to enlarge

I added a usb charging port and a extra 12v socket too the front of the box for charging phones etc.

Click image to enlarge

How it all connects up i left enough slack to tip the box on its back and then unplug the cables.

Click image to enlarge

lit up like Christmas still the winch controls and interior lights to get a loom made up for

Click image to enlarge

The priority's, tested the drivers one out, could be nice for a nap in the shed.

Click image to enlarge

Hoping to make the loom for the winch tomorrow finish off around the dash and get into replacing the tappet gasket which is a decent size job on the cummins.

-Ged
Post #574096 28th Oct 2016 11:40pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Fair Play Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #574248 29th Oct 2016 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>