↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Urgent- broken down - Now Fixed, photo with fault...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
jrule

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Doesn't look like a standard arrangement maybe something to do with an aftermarket alarm/security system …
Post #570399 12th Oct 2016 6:43pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
As above I'm gonna say that that is something to do with the after market immobiliser/alarm you have fitted. Definitely not standard. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #570401 12th Oct 2016 7:02pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Did you have to replace the fuse, or was it just loose? I'm wondering how it could be an intermittent problem. Just looked at the wiring in left hand seat box on my 2012. No such harness or fuse there. An additional security feature fitted by the previous owner, perhaps? 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #570403 12th Oct 2016 7:12pm
borderterrier

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Roy5695 wrote:
As above I'm gonna say that that is something to do with the after market immobiliser/alarm you have fitted. Definitely not standard.

I had the same set up in my MY 13 110 XS.
Post #570404 12th Oct 2016 7:31pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Glad you fixed it.
Doen't make sense to connect a fuse to the negative terminal, does it? Either something very clever or not Very Happy
Post #570429 12th Oct 2016 8:57pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Wild Card 90 wrote:
Did you have to replace the fuse, or was it just loose? I'm wondering how it could be an intermittent problem. Just looked at the wiring in left hand seat box on my 2012. No such harness or fuse there. An additional security feature fitted by the previous owner, perhaps?

Fuse was blown, however the gap between the two metal halves of wire was very narrow, so I guess rocking the Def or banging the door as described above, might have allowed for a brief connection for fire up, before being rattled loose by driving. I have an aftermarket alarm fitted (albeit not by me) so maybe that's it? What I can say is it would be a bloody fantastic immobiliser which, frankly, nobody would be able to resolve based on where you hid the fuse/breaker. Just unplug the fuse each time you leave the vehicle and voila, one very dead Defender. So unless the nasties had come prepared to tow the car away, it wouldn't be going anywhere..... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #570490 13th Oct 2016 6:51am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
To the fuse in negative wire - it is standard to place there a fuse for powering radios (CB, professional), because these are normally also grounded by their antennas, and powered directly from the battery for minimizing possible interferences from other electrical equipment in car. In case of bad ground connection between starter (engine) and battery, it can take the current through this radio and antenna, and burn them. Fuse in ground connection of radio safe it. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #570517 13th Oct 2016 9:28am
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
Grenadier wrote:
Wild Card 90 wrote:
Did you have to replace the fuse, or was it just loose? I'm wondering how it could be an intermittent problem. Just looked at the wiring in left hand seat box on my 2012. No such harness or fuse there. An additional security feature fitted by the previous owner, perhaps?

Fuse was blown, however the gap between the two metal halves of wire was very narrow, so I guess rocking the Def or banging the door as described above, might have allowed for a brief connection for fire up, before being rattled loose by driving. I have an aftermarket alarm fitted (albeit not by me) so maybe that's it? What I can say is it would be a bloody fantastic immobiliser which, frankly, nobody would be able to resolve based on where you hid the fuse/breaker. Just unplug the fuse each time you leave the vehicle and voila, one very dead Defender. So unless the nasties had come prepared to tow the car away, it wouldn't be going anywhere..... Thumbs Up

You could fit an isolator switch inline with that fuse, maybe in the cubby box, and yes would be a very good anti-theft additive. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #570532 13th Oct 2016 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123