↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Noisy EGR Valve AGAIN!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnp1887

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Noisy EGR Valve AGAIN!!!!!
Can anyone help me with my noisy egr valve on my 2.4, it squeaks at low speed and when I stop the engine the chittering from the valve is getting very loud . I know that the majority of egr valves make a noise when they run through their self clean cycle, but mine has become very loud and prolonged, no loss of performance and no warning lights yet though, does anyone do a egr removal kit for this 2.4 engine or do I have to fit yet another ( 3rd in 5 years ). Many thanks Sad
Post #569459 8th Oct 2016 10:36am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
You can buy a kit for not a lot on ebay to blank it, but if you just blank it you'll get the warning light and fault codes logged.

Both BAS and Alive will sort out the electronics side of things, I went with Alive because when I was looking they were half the price and would fit the blank. I could have gone with BAS and I'd have been able to do it at home because I have the GAP IID Tool to put on BAS maps, but I knew the EGR was a pig to get at having taken it out once before. Really it made more sense for me to get Alive to do it.

I had a very pleasant experience dealing with Alive, drove up there one afternoon and got it all sorted. They also have local fitting centres all over the place. I think I paid 120 which was less than the cost of a new valve and means it can't break in future. I must admit that I haven't checked if they actually fitted the blank as they said they would but it seems to be doing its thing and has improved fuel economy - not by a lot but enough you can notice.
Post #569475 8th Oct 2016 12:30pm
Dieselhead

We are on our 3/4 the EGR on our works truck.

The last time it failed I went to LR & found out the part was still under warrenty. They replaced the unit free of charge even though I had fitted it myself

If it fails again within the next 2 years then bring it back I was told by the fit woman in the service dept. Sure will I said Whistle Cool Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #569552 8th Oct 2016 9:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you think about it, just two EGR's bought and fitted yourself and your in cost territory of a stage 1 tune and EGR delete.

Not to mention, the losses in cost in MPG, stress and time and effort messing about with the f*** thing.

I think the new EGR's are even worse than the originals and they were bad enough.

I'd go so far as saying the EGR is one of the worst issues with the Puma engine closely followed by non lubed adapter shaft splines and last but not least clutch longevity.

I'm more than happy myself on Millers diesel additive and EGR delete with blank fitted and Alive Stage 1 Tune. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #569577 9th Oct 2016 12:16am
schuee

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I'm on my 3rd EGR valve at the moment, and this one is starting to show signs of failing again soon, Big Cry
So thinking of getting it blanked and disabled, would I would get better MPG after ?

Cheers
Post #570028 11th Oct 2016 12:21pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Yes, a slight but noticeable MPG improvement.
Should also be a slight but noticeable NOX emissions increase.
Post #570039 11th Oct 2016 1:10pm
johnp1887

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
I have just fitted a new egr valve, couldn't get a Genuine Parts one as I was told they are on back order at the factory, with an eta of later next month, so I have fitted a LUCAS unit, I have looked at the old one and it has stamped on it MADE IN CHINA Exclamation
I have taken the gearbox cover off and found the gears to be dry and stiff to turn, a squirt of oil sorted that out, what I'm wondering is , has anyone removed the central idler gear and tried the egr on the engine, would it put the EML on? and maybe go into limp mode
Post #571046 15th Oct 2016 4:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1