↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Radio with a mind of its own
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Radio with a mind of its own
For the last two days I have had a problem with the Land rover Radio fitted to my 2008 110.

It started yesterday the radio would cut out but the display was still lit, I thought that maybe the local radio station was having work carried out on the transmitter. Today it continue to cut out, annoying but not the end of the world. I stopped at a relatives house switch off the ignition radio goes off I lock up and go inside, a neighbour comes to the house to say that the radio was on very loud, I have the keys and the ignition is off as I was going home I just drove off. Tonight a neighbour has just been and asked me if I could switch off the radio in the land rover as the noise was annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is before I start ripping things apart with no idea what I'm looking for.? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #569920 10th Oct 2016 8:03pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Maybe check the wiring plugs Incase the permenant live is arcing on the switched live for some reason. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #569969 10th Oct 2016 11:05pm
Jonnie421

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
I had exactly the same problem on mine last year . Luckily I'd only had it 6months so my local LRO dealer put in a new one under warranty .
I've since changed that to a Kenwood with Bluetooth and DAB , problem solved . Thumbs Up Defender 90 Tonga green . My 2007 County .2.4Tdci puma .
Too many other Discos to mention, including a V8 petrol Disco3 and diesel Disco 3 !! ( All gone)
Post #570011 11th Oct 2016 9:13am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Mine is doing this right now. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #576320 8th Nov 2016 7:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
And mine is acting bizarre too. Confused Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #576323 8th Nov 2016 7:25pm
ARC99

I did check mine and could not find out why, the wiring is fine no shorts, I now suspect that it is the internals that may be at fault. I will look towards buying a new radio. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #576533 9th Nov 2016 4:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'd guarantee that the Defender vibration does them in, not much you can do about that either really. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #576537 9th Nov 2016 4:34pm
Outlaw1

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I had the same problem , Under warranty so stealer replaced it after the second time of complaining
Post #576563 9th Nov 2016 6:41pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Mine fired up 4 or 5 times yesterday but then I have only owned the vehicle for 2 days & the radio is definitely going in the bin as soon as I get round to that part of my upgrade work.
Post #577853 14th Nov 2016 10:57pm
ARC99

I think I have sorted the problem. The connectors on the back of the radio have a latching peg which do not automatically latch to keep, the plugs in place. Three months ago I pulled the radio out totally fed up with it to find that the plugs were loose pushing them back in made no difference they could be pulled out that's when I noticed that the pins were not latching and they needed to be physically moved into the latched position. Three months later and I have not had any problem with the radio switching its self on or cutting out. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #607805 8th Mar 2017 1:04pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
My factory Alpine had an interesting issue going over a cattle grid yesterday - turns out they havent refitted it properly and its frame must be loose Shocked why does it go in for 1 job and come out with loads of others Mike
Post #607820 8th Mar 2017 1:59pm
ARC99

Well having thought that I may have sorted the problem with the radio having a mind of its own it has started playing up again.

Last week while working in the garage I could hear a radio playing, went out to find that it was the one in the Land rover, no keys in ignition and doors locked I assumed that S.H.M.B.O. had taken keys out ignition then tried to switch the radio off so thought no more about it.

My next door neighbour works shifts so I don't always see him, yesterday he informed me that when he went out to work at 5.00 am on Monday and Tuesday my car radio was playing, so it wasn't S.H.M.B.O. to blame. 2.15 am today I was woken by a car radio playing, got up to investigate who the thoughtless person was , I couldn't see any occupied vehicle parked up then it hit me "oh no its mine" . dressed, house alarm off and out in the dark , yes it was the Land rover alright.

It looks as though the radio is switching it self on for some reason. I know it has the facility to switch off the ignition and still play if you turn it on by the on/off button, Is there a way of disabling this facility.?

I am in hiding as this morning some of the neighbours have been complaining about the noisy so and so with the car radio during the night.

I have checked for Harry the Land rover spider just in case he needed to music to keep him company but he seems to have got fed up and moved out .

It looks like I am spending all day reading the definitive ICE thread for a suitable radio. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #614846 6th Apr 2017 9:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1