↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lower swivel pin - is this a consumable? slight knocking...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Lower swivel pin - is this a consumable? slight knocking...
Gidday,

Slight knocking on the front wheel if I give it a good wiggle from the side pushing and pulling on the top of the tyre. Only starts once I really get it moving and 'resonant' to my wiggling (if you know what I mean).

I just did the bearings and even got out a DTI to check for play (2-nut system on a TDCi). Also replaced swivel and both bearings which means the top assembly. It did seem easy to place the lower bearings on to the pins, I would have expected a push/pull fit - so I'm thinking worn lower swivel pin - sound reasonable?

I did do the whole spring-balance thing as per WSM, so I'm pretty sure it's not a basic case of too many shims.

Everything was torqued to spec, and it drives fine - only noticed today when I gave it a shove to be triple sure.

Next up, is why the huge price difference between genuine and pattern (no OEM??):

Click image to enlarge

Which poison would you choose? Big Cry Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #568010 1st Oct 2016 1:17pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Did mine a few months ago when I rebuilt the drivers side swivel 4000 miles later seems ok, think I used an allmakes one in the end.

When I compared the fit of the new bearings on the old pin to the new one the new one was a lot tighter.

Chris
Post #569214 6th Oct 2016 10:45pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
oh well, groan .. Rolling Eyes

Ok, 2 * one-shots ordered also...

Thanks for the info, it's helpful Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #569215 6th Oct 2016 10:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1