↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Heated Dog Kennels Advice!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Heated Dog Kennels Advice!
My Border Collie prefers to stay outside during the night, thinks he is on duty all the time, never switches off!

He doesn,t sleep in his bed in a cool porch with door open, just sleeps on concrete in front of the garage or on the gravel drive in font of the gate. I want to get him a kennel for the cold nights in the winter. I know he can take -3 but when it gets colder he will need something heated/insulated. Does anyone elses dog stay outside. Any recommendations for a kennel?

Dog tired first thing in the morning on holiday, couldn,t keep him out of the sea, loves swimming, odd for a BC.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #564065 15th Sep 2016 8:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rickydodah

How big a kennel are you thinking of? All I have in mine is some Wolseley poultry heat lamps,. The kennels are insulated and the lamps do give localised warm areas which the dogs can move away from when needed. Oddly the spaniels still prefer to stay outside in the run where they sleep on raised beds out of the drafts. The Lab will lay under the lamp all day and the Goldies will wander in and out. Generally dogs they say like an ambient temperature of around 55f-65f and I try and keep the kennel temp at no lower than 50f and this sometimes has to be supplemented with a fan heater. Personally speaking, provided the dog can move away from or move closer to the heat source then a small heated kennel, maybe with a radiant tube type heater will be ideal as he seems to prefer the outside. If it's a small garden kennel then I'd line it with straw, not Barley if possible, and he'll be fine. Luckily for us in the south east we very rarely see extreme sub zero temperatures, but I would provide him with some kind of raised bed off of the concrete maybe around 2ft or so, he'll likely enjoy the viewpoint and keep him out of the frost if he does sleep out all night. Good looking BC though. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #564097 15th Sep 2016 10:03am
custom90

United Kingdom 
250w or 175w infra red heat lamp on a MK Masterseal digital timer socket.

Can also be manually over ridden, a fan heater will likely not have a lot of room for and at normally 3kw or 3000w your electric bill would neigh on triple in no time!

It would however depend on eve height as if it's low you just wouldn't have the room to hang it.
Post #564105 15th Sep 2016 10:51am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Small greenhouse heater would do the job, then possibly celotex under the floor and insulate the sides and roof area, although a dog's coat would grow thicker, so probably ok without heater.

(I was going to suggest reindeer skins .. but not sure how that would work with a dog, certainly works in Nordics)
Post #564125 15th Sep 2016 12:19pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
We have an oil filled flat panel radiator in our combined kennel and covered run, The heater is on a timer, the Spaniels will sleep in the kennel but Cassie the GSD insists on sleeping outside.

Barry
Post #564129 15th Sep 2016 12:26pm
MaxRPM

England 
Just put a rug on the floor with a cat warming pad underneath, available from any pet shop and are about 40w.
Post #564197 15th Sep 2016 4:36pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
Having had working dogs my entire life, they've all always lived outside and i've never given them a heater, but 3 have been sharing a kennel/run

I had a 10x6 garden shed that was in good condition, i cut the sides out of 2/3rds of it, infilled with galvanised bar.

Then the last 3rd i put a 'table top on, with hinges, and a solid front with a door for them, giving them a kennel area, i just put rubber matting in bottom and an old duvet and they were happy as larry, but i'd find them asleep on top of it most the time.
Post #564203 15th Sep 2016 4:51pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
^^^ I've never had heaters in my kennels, the dogs just grow winter coats to compensate. If they get on I do let them share kennels at times as well. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #564225 15th Sep 2016 5:46pm
Romadog

Ditto Happyoldgit Thumbs Up

I have a Timberbuild kennel which i purchased off their stand at the CLA @Broadlands back in 2003.
http://www.timberbuilddogkennels.co.uk/out...druns.html

10' x 6' with roof extended over the run.
Dismantled and rebuilt once and annual coatings of wood stain.

Keep thinking about insulation, and get nagged about heater. As above they havent needed it yet and yes my eldest has a thick coat now.
Post #564255 15th Sep 2016 7:26pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I cant imagine my working dog not sleeping on the bed in the house...but the family where she came from had a outside kennel arrangement with barn style heatlamp. The kennel was attached to their stable with an inside and outside section so they could move around as required, the heatlamp was on in one corner Mike
Post #564602 17th Sep 2016 10:28am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
EDIT
Post #568178 2nd Oct 2016 10:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1