↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Spacers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Def Junkie

Spacers
Could someone pls give me the pros and cons of fitting spacers. The biggest + I would guess is the improved turning circle - but by how much? Any negatives other than mud on the sides of the vehicle?
Post #524089 15th Apr 2016 6:25am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey

I can't do better than what he says Laughing
Post #524103 15th Apr 2016 8:12am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
You'll not find a better explanation than that. Thumbs Up Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #524110 15th Apr 2016 8:23am
Def Junkie

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #524113 15th Apr 2016 8:28am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There's nothing that is factually incorrect in that video, but what it lacks is contextualisation.

Generally people fit spacers as part of a wheel and tyre upgrade, and changing the tyre size is likely to have far more effect on the vehicle than fitting spacers. Some effects of spacers can be counteracted by changes to tyre dimensions, for example the increase in scrub radius caused by a spacer may be neutralised by an increase in tyre diameter.

In practical terms, you are unlikely to notice any significant effects if you fit 30mm spacers. If you fit wider, then you will notice a difference. If you fit, say 285/75 tyres in place of 235/75 you will notice more differences in handling than you will from fitting 30mm spacers and not changing the tyres.

The old wives' tale that spacers will cause your wheelbearings to wear out is, frankly, rot, since the effect of a 30mm spacer on a wheelbearing is insignificant. Carrying a passenger will load your wheelbearings more than a 30mm spacer. If you were to fit 75mm spacers, expect trouble, but a sensible spacer will be well within the designed operating parameters of the hub.

Not mentioned at all in the video is possibly the biggest consideration of spacers, namely the physical strangth of the spacer itself. You would be foolinsh to fit, assuming you could find one, a spacer less than 30mm in thickness, because it isn't thick enough to safely accommodate the bolt-heads for the new studs nor the nuts for the old ones (spacers less than 30mm usually are shims that use the existing studs, whcih is again not a good idea). Spacers thicker than 30mm will start to take you into the adverse-effects territory.

It is also the case that the effects on steering and suspension geometry will be the same if you were to fit a 30mm spacer with your existing wheel, or a wheel of the same width with 30mm lesser offset.

Some of the effects that the chap in the video mentions are specific to IFS and will not manifest themselves on a Defender with its beam axle anyway.
Post #524143 15th Apr 2016 10:14am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
As Blackwolf says the video is factually correct but the effects of spacers on the geometry and bearing life is so minimal that it's not even worth considering. If you like the look of the vehicle with spacers and don't mind a bit of mud splatter then go for it. Come to think of it, if you drive a Defender the last thing on your mind should be worrying about a bit of mud! Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #524154 15th Apr 2016 11:05am
RogerG

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Montalcino Red
I fitted 30mm terrafirma alloy spacers to improve the turning circle on my 110. Adjusted the lock stops to 22mm clearance - same width as a roll of insulating tape which makes it easy to set up - just wind the stops in/out until it hold the roll between the tyre and tie bar. Made a huge difference as I can now get out of the drive and onto the lane in one instead of having to take a shunt, tighter than my old 90. Mud spatter taken care of by fitting the Gwynn Lewis mudflap kit on the front and the MUD UK spats on the rear.
Post #524233 15th Apr 2016 2:46pm
Def Junkie

Appreciate the advice guys. Spacers fitted Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #526596 25th Apr 2016 12:23pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've done the same as RogerG (Terrafirma spacers and Gwyn Lewis mudflaps) and agree the turning circle is significantly improved, almost car like! Big improvement.
Post #526600 25th Apr 2016 12:39pm
LoveTheMud

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
not sure if this is even possible or not but, have any of you with the 30mm spacers fitted, noticed or likely to notice the tyres rubbing on the arch? I'm imagining off road use here and cross axle maneuvers... I'm going to get a set but will be doing some offroading so wanted to get peoples experience / opinion
Post #526630 25th Apr 2016 2:29pm
jimbob7

I also won't fit spacers,,,with a long enough lever I can snap a Defender axle in two,(Archimedes ,AD340) Whistle . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #526642 25th Apr 2016 3:47pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LoveTheMud wrote:
not sure if this is even possible or not but, have any of you with the 30mm spacers fitted, noticed or likely to notice the tyres rubbing on the arch? I'm imagining off road use here and cross axle maneuvers... I'm going to get a set but will be doing some offroading so wanted to get peoples experience / opinion

For quite a while I ran 285/75 BFG KM2s on Boosts on 30mm spacers and never had any contact issues.

I now run 255/85 BFG KM2s on ET15 Blindos without spacers, and these had contact issues on the front lower corners of the rear arches, nothing serious though, and easily rectified (invisibly) in a few minutes with a sharp knife. I have to admit that I was surprised since the outside diameter of the tyres are very similar, the combined effect of the narrower section and reduced positive offset should have put the outside corner in about the same place.

You wouldn't be able to run tyre chains on either of these unless you either modify the suspension or accept that the chains are going to rip your bodywork apart.
Post #526649 25th Apr 2016 4:06pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
jimbob7 wrote:
I also won't fit spacers,,,with a long enough lever I can snap a Defender axle in two,(Archimedes ,AD340) Whistle .

We are in the minority here mate, but neither would I. They are illegal in Aus.
Pickles.
Post #526796 25th Apr 2016 10:42pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
That surprises me Pickles, there are people that run spacers on 70 series Cruisers to sort out the rear track issue.
Maybe that's why people change from spacers to wheels with an offset that mean you have to have two spares.
Post #526891 26th Apr 2016 12:28pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I'm not familiar with the issue that you speak of, but yes, they've always been a No No in Aus, going back to the days of our early model Holdens. It's as Jimbob says, along the lines of "Archimedes". Not saying of course that some don't fit 'em in Aus, but if there was an issue with a claim surrounding the area where they are fitted, there would more than likely be an issue with the insurer.
Pickles.
Post #527183 26th Apr 2016 10:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>