↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > oil leak at rear of turbo plus...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bifterx

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Oslo Blue
oil leak at rear of turbo plus...
... in fact oil leaking from rocker breather at rocker connection and pre turbo connection too.

Im trying trying to figure out an issue (or collection of issues) with my 04 plate 110 DC.
I have oil leaking at the back of the turbo running down the oil return pipe as well as condensed oil leaking on the top of the rocker cover at the breather position and the breather connection pre-turbo.

I do have black smoke on gear change and under load.

Apparently, the truck has had a remap or so the chap that just fitted my new cylinder head Big Cry tells me 'cos it 'pulls like a train', and indeed it is very lively.

from some research, I understand a remap increases the pressure in the crankcase and the swirl chambers don't cope too well so the breather pulls through a heavier oil mist and therefore through the turbo which obviously has to condense somewhere.

I see there are solutions to this, which I probably am going to fit, (Provent 200) to condense out the oil and send it back pre-turbo.

What concerns me is that the increased oil mist load could have damaged the turbo oil seals (hence oil leaking at the return pipe position) - is this possible? that would have to be on the exhaust side (hence black smoke)

I whipped off the old hose closest to the turbo on the compression side and there was very little oil in it - maybe half a teaspoon or less.

I'm not a mechanic or an td5 expert but am mechanically minded and happy to have a go at things - so my next steps were to look at the turbo to see if any play and check the condition and to take off the intercooler to see if much oil inside (even through the pipe only had a bit in it)

In the interests of lets see - I disconnected the MAF sensor and gave it a spin, even more lively but more black smoke. Reconnect - still pretty lively but a bit less black smoke.

I guess my problem is that I have so many variables - Im unsure where to start, I can't afford to just chuck money at it and Id rather mechanic my way through it.

Any guidance would be hugely appreciated 'cos I do love me truck!

Oh yeah, it won't get near 70 it all sounds like its screaming - could a remap refocus the power curve to favour acceleration?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers Disco 300TDi XS - Gone
Disco 3 SE manual - Gone 😭
Freelander 2 SE manual
Defender 110 TD5 DC
Post #563747 13th Sep 2016 10:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1