↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Head Gasket Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
8RAV

United Kingdom 
Head Gasket Change
This is my first post but have been on the forum for months.Any how had to do the dreaded head gasket change on my 01 defender as using water, not a great deal maybe only a pint a week.Decided to buy a recon head and swap all bits over myself. Took about a full weekend in total. I replaced many of the head parts with new Glow plugs,nuts,studs and rebuilt pressure regulator.Had two faults on start up one being a new fuel pump was required albeit it was running when I stripped the head but didnt have enough pressure to bleed/prime the system.As soon as new one was fitted primed once and fired straight away. So if you are having trouble priming bleeding the system it may well be the pump dying slowly.Second was a more peculiar problem, after ticking over and running engine up to temp suddenly heard a pop like a cork going off followed by a chuffing noise.Holding some tissue in a pair of long nose pliers near the glow plug second cylinder (nearest point to the noise source) it was certainly blowing around this area.I checked glow plug for tightness no problem there so removed glow plug and in desperation as I now suspected a head issue fitted one of the original plugs back in noise had then gone and all running great.Inspected the new removed glow plug to find it was passing air up the length of it internally and the end for the wiring had a little play in it.Has anyone experienced this before?.
Defender is now running great again and all the info on head gasket change I gleaned from this website has been invaluable thanks to you all. Bow down
Post #562576 8th Sep 2016 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1