Home > Puma (Tdci) > Gearbox trauma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mother superior

United Kingdom 
Gearbox trauma
Gents
So the 110 has celebrated turning 60K by entering the self destruct code for the gearbox, it all still works fine but heck it's noisey, current thinking is that it's the main shaft bearings. Thing is I'm reckoning that it's time for a rebuild/refurb unit, so what's the opinion of you learned ones, and do you know anyone who can do the job. The best thing is that only last month I treated her to a new clutch and output shaft thingie upgrade so it's just the bit in the middle needs sorting.

So I said to Ethel the 110 " why have you done this to me, when I just spent £900 on a new clutch and other bits for you"
Ethel the110 said " it's this way old fruit, I'm a Landrover and I can......by the way the pin on one of my back door hinges has just sheared off so be a love and sort that while you're at it"

Get a 110, they said it'll be great they said

Cheers
Wes Oh woe, oh woe
My crusty old landrover,
It will not go.
Post #559758 29th Aug 2016 6:32pm
AlanH

Australia 
Don't worry MS, you'll get used to spending your hard earned on Ethel (why do people name cars....? I just abuse them.) and repairing it when others are out enjoying a pint etc. Rolling with laughter
After having had 4 Landies (Td5, 300Tdi and this Puma thing plus a D1) I know what you're going through. In fact I nearly, very nearly took the advice of a Landie mechanic lots of us used to use (until he decided those that promoted him and his business weren't worth worrying about) when he advised one totally mad dyed in the wool Landie loving nutter to "buy a Pajero and you'll never suffer from (whatever it was) again".
Sometimes I lay awake wondering.......... Shocked
AlanH.
Post #561507 5th Sep 2016 9:27am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Re: Gearbox trauma
Mother superior wrote:
Gents
So the 110 has celebrated turning 60K by entering the self destruct code for the gearbox, it all still works fine but heck it's noisey, current thinking is that it's the main shaft bearings. Thing is I'm reckoning that it's time for a rebuild/refurb unit, so what's the opinion of you learned ones, and do you know anyone who can do the job. The best thing is that only last month I treated her to a new clutch and output shaft thingie upgrade so it's just the bit in the middle needs sorting.

So I said to Ethel the 110 " why have you done this to me, when I just spent £900 on a new clutch and other bits for you"
Ethel the110 said " it's this way old fruit, I'm a Landrover and I can......by the way the pin on one of my back door hinges has just sheared off so be a love and sort that while you're at it"

Cheers
Wes

Loving the Defender back chat. Mine sniggers every time I rip my belt loops getting out... 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #561538 5th Sep 2016 12:27pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AlanH wrote:
In fact I nearly, very nearly took the advice of a Landie mechanic lots of us used to use (until he decided those that promoted him and his business weren't worth worrying about) when he advised one totally mad dyed in the wool Landie loving nutter to "buy a Pajero and you'll never suffer from (whatever it was) again".
Sometimes I lay awake wondering.......... Shocked
AlanH.

Seems like the "mechanic" was promoting himself...

The Spanish translation of the word....

Pajero
Adjective
[Person] who masturbates frequently.

W4nker!!! Rolling with laughter ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #563234 11th Sep 2016 11:01pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
So I didn't believe that translation and had to look it up myself.
It's correct.

Pajero can also mean someone that sells straw, or a plumber.
Post #563286 12th Sep 2016 8:44am
nickhodgson

Re: Gearbox trauma
Mother superior wrote:
Gents

Cheers
Wes

Wes, this sounds very like you are having issues following the clutch change and its difficult not to believe the two are linked. 60k miles is way below what you can expect from these gearboxes. Did you fit the clutch or have it fitted? 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #563879 14th Sep 2016 3:38pm
AlanH

Australia 
I think we're all aware of the Spanish meaning of "pajero" but this particular mechanic used to be well respected amongst us long suffering LR owners and his honest opinion was that they have many less problems than the LRs he drives and used to always devote his time to.
However, this Ford g/box has usually got a good rep. for longevity amongst other makes (Fords/Mazdas etc.) it's fitted in as well as Deafeners so as has been said, maybe the clutch change has something to do with the OPs problems.
AlanH.
Post #564096 15th Sep 2016 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1