↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > f in f wits! how can that be?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
f in f wits! how can that be?
in terms of motor insurance not the best start to the year - two accidents in one week. neither my fault nor any damage to my vehicle.

come renewal time and I've lost 7 yrs no claims. 3 yrs for each 'claim' !!

spoke to Mr insurance and the first accident / claim has been with drawn but still lost my no claims. !!! ?

2nd accident is in dispute. the 3rd party apparently has whiplash etc yet they 'hit' me while I was either stationary or VERY nearly stationary. they got a little dent / grove in the rear wing of fiesta as they drove along the on my front bumper end cap !!! as unbelievably straight forward as this is, it's still in dispute - so granted I don't get my no claims back until it is....

but the first one? that's worth c£250 quid off my policy?

to say I'm not happy would be a mild understatement.

thoughts please.
Post #562366 8th Sep 2016 10:29am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Wayne, who are you insured with and is it through a broker? I had a very similar disappointing and frustrating experience with a no fault, no claim notification that I made myself to my insurers out of courtesy. Their attitude and customer service was appalling to say the least with a loading of 50% come renewal time. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #562368 8th Sep 2016 10:34am
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Any dash cam evidence?
Post #562373 8th Sep 2016 10:41am
Caterham

hi Mal,

I'm with NFU. But understand its down to their underwriters. (just to say I've always found the NFU to be top of the game.......lets see what happens here tho).

did you get anywhere with it?

OT. I guess you've been clocking up the miles on the HD with the weather being so nice.

Last edited by Caterham on 8th Sep 2016 10:46am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #562374 8th Sep 2016 10:42am
Caterham

bm52 wrote:
Any dash cam evidence?

no and told myself I'd get one after this but still haven't as yet.

just spoke to legal advisers and they're telling me there should be no effect on my NCD's so I'm hoping there's some confusion?

I sincerely hope 1 possible claim doesn't knock 7 years off your policy?
Post #562375 8th Sep 2016 10:44am
K9F

Yes to both.

Having rediscovered the delights of two wheels and now most of my mates are also having a mid-life crisis of their own they too have returned to motorcycling too. The South Coast is awash with biking events during the Summer months and my interest has been drawn to that more than the Defender (which has never been off-road in anger).

My insurance dispute was with a well known provider (Not A-Plan but Adrian Flux, nevertheless they both use the same underwriters)and the underwriters were the issue here too. The underwriters were a company that I discovered too late had an extremely poor customer service record and that quite often the policy would have been better used to wipe your posterior after a dump as it is often worthless in the event of a claim, and they are callous with regards to any accident be it your fault or not! I have been effectively 'gagged' from slating the underwriters as apparently the broker has more clout and 'should' go into bat for you in the event of a dispute, this is despite the fact my underwriters had an appalling and pitiful customer care record and 9 pages of negative feedback on the internet.

I explained to my broker the issue and they sourced me an alternative underwriter and I went elsewhere come renewal time. I wish you good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

Cheap is definitely not the best and I still advocate from personal experience that the underwriters in my case should be avoided at ALL cost. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #562380 8th Sep 2016 11:04am
Caterham

If I've interpreted that correctly the underwriter wacked your renewal up even though it wasn't your fault.

Who determines the number of NCD's ? The legal arm of my policy are saying I've not lost any NCD's.....just waiting to see what he broker / underwriter come back with?

without mentioning who your underwriter was are you able to post a link to the 9 pages of publicity that might be related to them Whistle

cheers
Post #562381 8th Sep 2016 11:10am
Pinky

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Baltic Blue
I'm with the NFU and have protected bonuses, I thought it was a standard feature but maybe you have to ask for it. In general I have found the NFU to be fantastic, every time I have made a claim the vehicle has been booked in for repair within a matter of hours of the claim.

Maybe ask at your next renewal for protected bonuses, it may add a few quid to the premium but worth it in the long run.
Post #562382 8th Sep 2016 11:12am
K9F

Caterham wrote:
......without mentioning who your underwriter was are you able to post a link to the 9 pages of publicity that might be related to them Whistle cheers

No! Sorry Wayne but being on a yellow card I cannot mention them directly or post negativity and you need to do your own digging. Nevertheless a search using 'Not impressed with Adrian Flux' will set you on the path to discovery and some interesting reading perhaps? It was not a thread I started but I did have an input which is still available as a 'starter for 10.' If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 8th Sep 2016 11:26am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #562383 8th Sep 2016 11:20am
Caterham

firstly I agree I feel NFU are 1st class and hence have all my insurances with them.

the extra for protected NCD is something I've always gambled on - however had I realised I might loose them through not making a claim I might have come to a different conclusion with the odds somewhat stacked against me?
Post #562384 8th Sep 2016 11:25am
Caterham

Wink

that pic I saw the other week you posted of a HD - not yours is it (was in in an underground car park if my memory serves me right).

very nice.

ps. 76k miles on mine and going a treat at the moment (I think most of my woes have historically all been related to a dodgy clutch actuation - be that the slave cylinder and / or hydraulic restrictor valve I don't know). All due to be replaced soon though Very Happy
Post #562385 8th Sep 2016 11:28am
Caterham

Very Happy

NFU have just confirmed my faith in them.......

no claims reinstate for the claim that has been with drawn. perhaps the claim has only just been with drawn and there was a delay in reinstating the NCD.

anyway all sorted now.

.....just need to get the other 'fraudulent claim' by 3rd party off now. ......makes my blood boil. no only did they follow me onto an island to do a U turn they then undertook me and hit me at about 5 mph causing virtually no damage to their car but miraculously they all have whiplash !

I suspect this sort of behaviour might be cultural / modern world thing. certainly it's not how I was brought up!

I was brought up on the basis that if I were to trip on an uneven paving slab and put a hole in the knee of my trousers I'd get a clip around the ear for being clumpsy !

what ever happened to the good old days?
Post #562388 8th Sep 2016 11:55am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
K9F wrote:
... the underwriters were the issue here too. The underwriters were a company that I discovered too late had an extremely poor customer service record and that quite often the policy would have been better used to wipe your posterior after a dump as it is often worthless in the event of a claim, and they are callous with regards to any accident be it your fault or not! ....

It is also a matter of some concern that this particular underwriter is currently cleaning up on the motor insurance underwriting business, by buying up other reputable businesses. I have discovered to my dismay that the classic policy I have on my vintage mobile crane is now underwritten by this firm, even though this was not revealed to me until renewal when it accidentally came to light. (They are continuing to trade under the name of the firm they took over, and it was only when I questioned why two different names appeared on the paperwork, neither being the name in question, that I discovered that both of these businesses are now owned by the underwriter to which Mal refers).

Mal, you may be gagged, but I am not. Shall I reveal the name?
Post #562402 8th Sep 2016 1:05pm
Caterham

Mal,

who's Mal?

Blackwolf I have no idea what you're talking about but would be interested to know who the underwriters for your crane insurance Mr. Green
Post #562409 8th Sep 2016 1:41pm
K9F

Blackwolf that is up to you.

Fact 1...The forum generates valuable income from a sponsor who peddles a product from this underwriter. It was pointed out I could jeopardise that income which ultimately if I continued I would be/and was threatened with a ban.

Fact 2...It is of little consequence to me now but it would be sad to see me leave the forum under such circumstances nevertheless my conscience is clear and is regarded by myself as 'a matter of principle' the company was and still continues to be of ill repute.

Fact 3....A-Plan was not involved in any way in my dispute or dealings with said underwriter whatsoever, they did offer to help in any way they could. I resolved it myself with my own broker Adrian Flux by moving to another underwriter.

Fact 3...Wayne, Blackwolf's post is clear and concise. I am Mal (as you well know) and if you followed the suggestion in my last post you would already know who the underwriters are!

Get a grip man! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 8th Sep 2016 2:15pm. Edited 4 times in total
Post #562411 8th Sep 2016 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>