↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Offside full beam randomly coming on with dipped.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
justinp

United Kingdom 
Offside full beam randomly coming on with dipped.
Hi Chaps,

I recently fitted LED headlights to my 2012 DC, and when driving home late Saturday night I noticed the offside main beam would randomly come on for a while and then go off again. It was approaching 2AM when I noticed this happening so I didn't upset to many other drivers Embarassed

I managed to reproduce the issue on the drive Saturday morning, then assumed it may be due to the unused side lamp wires either shorting together or to ground. I taped them up with insulation tape and could not reproduce the fault again, although my testing was far from extensive.

Sadly the fault returned on the way home this evening in the dark, so it wasn't due to the side lamp wires.

The lights contain two LED's mounted horizontally for dipped beam, and a pair of LED's either side which light in addition to the dipped LED's for the main beams. Side light wires light appear to be dim dipped.

Here's a photo of the actual units to show you what I'm talking about.

Click image to enlarge

I've not had the DC long and had not driven in the dark before fitting the LED replacements, so I can't be sure its not a problem with the vehicles wiring, however I strongly suspect its an issue with the headlight.

From a quick search on this forum, I believe standard behaviour is for the dipped lights turn off when full beam is selected. These lights light both sets of LED's on full beam. Assuming the forum search results (and my interpretation) are valid for a 2012 defender, these lights must have internal electronics linking dipped and main led's, so the fault could be there.

What do you guys think?

Thanks JustinP
Post #560394 31st Aug 2016 10:45pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Simple test.. Swap the near side and off side units to see if the fault follows the unit...
If the fault stays on the same side, suspect the wiring loom or stalk switch... ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #560399 31st Aug 2016 11:00pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
I'll see what if can get another lamp sent over and just swap it to save removing all the screws on both sides again, if they don't want to send another lamp yet, I'll give your suggestion a go.

I'm unlikely to drive again in the dark for a few days, so it can wait a day or two.
Post #560409 31st Aug 2016 11:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1