↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turbo heat shield .. is it necessary?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Turbo heat shield .. is it necessary?
Hi

Is the turbo heat shield completely necessary? Since installing a decat it's only secured by the top bolts so is rattling around a bit.

Thanks 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #558800 25th Aug 2016 9:40am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Been running mine for a couple of years without it, and de cat.
No problems at all.

If anything it probably keeps it all a bit cooler. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #558810 25th Aug 2016 10:14am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine is in situ to help conceal the absence of cat, however everthing is cooler without the cat and I don't think that there would be a problem running without it.

If you do remove it though, bear in mind that the absence of the irritating rattle it makes will allow you to hear many other worrying noises that you cannot presently hear!
Post #558840 25th Aug 2016 12:47pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Great .. thanks for the replies. It's coming off.

I've got a leaking manifold to turbo gasket again so it all needs to come apart tomorrow anyway .. one less thing to put back on! 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #558842 25th Aug 2016 12:50pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
What does this part look like as I had a rattle and a small heat shield was loose,

Sort half a coke can size? I've since left it off and its done some big journeys.. and been fine.

in fact this is it. Do I need to re fit it? from the crank shaft after a google. I've seen no difference in temperature since off.

Click image to enlarge
Post #558862 25th Aug 2016 2:08pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Crank sensor heat shield.

Again, like you say the cause of a very annoying rattle as the rivet holding it together wears away!
Many don't ever get refitted Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #558869 25th Aug 2016 2:42pm
blackwolf

My CPS heatshield was missing when I bought my Defender six years ago, and now, nearly 200,000 miles later, it is still missing and I am not aware of any ill effects.

It is also a very awkward thing to refit since it is almost completely inaccessible, no doubt this is the reason most don't get replaced.
Post #558882 25th Aug 2016 4:12pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
The tin foil is ripped on my one of them so it's dangling off.
The bracket on the turbo heat shield has a crack down one end that rattles annoyingly at certain RPM. I keep meaning to fix it but then forget.
Post #558891 25th Aug 2016 4:51pm
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Hello all

I have a funny noise in my engine when accelarating would this be the heat shield...what are the symptons for a loose heat shield so.i know if it is that or not
And is it expensive to fix might be the turbo one but i dont know without advice from the best defender owners which are on here Thumbs Up

Thanks muchly
Arran
Post #664073 13th Nov 2017 10:09pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
"I have a funny noise in my engine when accelerating would this be the heat shield or the wife so very hard to tell ,teeth or bearings Rolling with laughter
Post #664080 13th Nov 2017 10:24pm
Jakkals

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
The bracket holding my heat shield has broken. was wondering if it was worth replacing. It has a bit of a rattle, but nothing severe. unless there's another function that it preforms, I'm happy to leave it as is.

Click image to enlarge
Post #665025 17th Nov 2017 10:35am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Turbo shields have a few purposes, a turbo blanket is on my list of to do's: https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/pages/why-use-a-turbo-blanket

A turbo blanket protects components within your engine bay.
The turbo blanket isolates the heat produced by your turbocharger, and prevents that heat from damaging, or even igniting, components surrounding the turbocharger within your engine compartment, such as plastic and rubber hoses and electrical wiring, as well as painted surfaces, such as the engine bay and the surface of the hood. Also, it prevents areas of localized high temperature from damaging the engine itself. For example, a common cause of head gasket failure in turbocharged vehicles is localized heating of a portion of the engine. The heat differential between the portion of the engine near the turbocharger and the rest of the engine can cause warping of the head, and thus, head gasket failure. This has been a known cause of head gasket failure in both OEM and aftermarket turbocharged vehicles.

A turbo blanket improves the performance of your turbocharger by keeping "the hot side hot".
In keeping the exhaust gases within the turbocharger hot, turbocharger efficiency is improved. As you may know, the hotter a gas is, the more expansive it is. Within a contained system of a specified size, the more expansive a gas is, the greater the pressure derived and thus, the greater the flow of gas to escape the containment. With this increased pressure and flow rate for a given engine RPM, the acceleration of the turbocharger's impeller is increased as compared to the same turbocharger with the engine at the same RPM but with cooler exhaust gases. This equates to faster spool up of the turbocharger, as well as greater attainable levels of boost. What a driver will experience with a turbo blanket is greater turbocharger responsiveness. The faster spool up of the turbocharger means less turbo lag and a more linear power curve.

A turbo blanket improves the performance of your turbocharger by keeping "the cool side cool."
As you may know, it is very important to keep engine intake air cool. This is why intercoolers are often utilized with turbochargers. Similar to above, the cooler a gas is (such as intake air), the more dense it is. The more dense the intake air, the more oxygen it contains per unit volume. The more oxygen reaches the engine, the more power can be obtained. In keeping the heat of the exhaust gases contained within the hot side of the turbocharger and away from the cool side of the turbocharger and the intake path, more oxygen per unit volume reaches the engine, and thus, more power. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #665028 17th Nov 2017 10:47am
blackwolf

Jakkals wrote:
The bracket holding my heat shield has broken. was wondering if it was worth replacing. It has a bit of a rattle, but nothing severe. unless there's another function that it preforms, I'm happy to leave it as is.

No other function, if you can live with the rattle you can leave it be, although it is possible that with one end unsupported the other will fail in due course.

It is a very sloppy piece of design by Ford. On my '07 the bulkhead end fastening has failed since the thread in the manifold has eroded and I have been running for years with that end rattling with no ill-effect (other than having to turn up the radio). I don't fancy fitting a new manifold simply because of this, although I might try 'timeserting' it one day (I am not sure if there's enough depth in the drilled boss for this, and it is a blind hole).
Post #665056 17th Nov 2017 12:50pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
carrotbay wrote:
I've got a leaking manifold to turbo gasket again so it all needs to come apart tomorrow anyway .. one less thing to put back on!

Did you just swap it out with an original part or are there any upgrade gaskets out there?
Post #673596 27th Dec 2017 2:34pm
MartnH

Australia 
I think heat shield works
and I also added a turbo blanket
Post #674004 29th Dec 2017 1:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>