↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Operation of over run brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Operation of over run brakes
I'm fairly new to the caravan thing, Mrs Doublea reckoned if we had one we'd go on holiday more...

Anyway, she insisted it was serviced before we used it - seemed like a good idea so £500 odd notes later, one serviced 'van with new stabiliser pads, new bearing, new external gas point, new smoke alarm battery...

The service man said the brakes were badly adjusted (now wondering if he meant before or after the service!)

On an undulating road surfaces at 40 ish, the 'van seems to push and pull and the brake drums get a little hot, not sizzling hot - I can just hold my finger on them for a moment. At 50-60, things settle down and the drive is more comfortable.

Is it normal for the brakes to operate when cruising or should they only operate when the towing vehicle is braking? They don't have the alko atc electric gizmo, just mechanical over run. I wonder if at the higher speed, the wind drag is pulling the 'van back enough that the brakes don't come on?

Cheers, Doublea Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #554619 9th Aug 2016 12:30am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
If everything is good then the brakes should normally only operte against the slowing of the prime mover. It is possible that on a significant decent gravity can push the trailer into the prime mover enough to activate the brakes but this would only be momentary as the prime mover maintaining a steady speed would keep pulling away from the trailer releasing the brakes, it may feel like a bit of a push but it should not ever feel like it is actually decelerating the whole combination. Not everyone has the ability to set overrun braked trailers up properly, there is some art to it. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #554623 9th Aug 2016 5:02am
Romadog

Damper could be weak ??
Post #554791 9th Aug 2016 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1