↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Peak District for a week in the wobble box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Peak District for a week in the wobble box
Afternoon all,

The fun controller and I have just decided to tak the last full week of August off and are thinking of taking the caravan up to the Peak District. It'll be just the two of us and the dog.

Looking for recommendations of things to see and do and camp sites etc.

We're looking for somewhere reasonably quiet, easy access to nice walks of 2-3 hours (the 11.5 stone dog can't do much more, less if it's still hot). She is keen on doing a morning at a spa whilst I hit the hills on the mountain bike for a couple of hours.

Any suggestions much appreciated! Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #554244 7th Aug 2016 2:01pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
What facilities are you wanting on a site basic or the whole works? We stay on a CL just outside Tideswell £8.00 a night with the awning but there's only a tap and somewhere to empty the toilet. The site owner Peter is absolutely spot on If you want a lazy day you can watch the gliders taking off and landing from the airfield at Great Hucklow and on a weekend or some evenings Hang Gliders flying from Bradwell edge.Cracking chippy in Bradwell and some very nice pubs if you like a pint or two Or there's a Site at Pomeroy with a very nice toilet block with direct access to the Tissington trail Buxton is only a few miles away. The only draw backs with the Pomeroy site can be some DOE youths being a little bit rowdy and it's proximity to a busy road.
Greenhills caravan site just outside Bakewell is a decent site, the shower block is a bit dated and gets very busy, there's access to some very good walks and cycle ways but it's a wee bit expensive.
There are others but we tend to steer clear of them i.e Caravan Club site at Castleton excellent facilities but dag walking a nightmare.
Laneside at Hope owner doesn't like big dogs.

Barry
Post #554401 8th Aug 2016 9:08am
Thor

Uncas - thank you for your reply! I've been upto my eyeballs in work, selling a house and remortgaging another!

The fun controller went ahead and booked a site in Pomeroy near Buxton. A nice quiet site with the start of the High Prak Trail on our doorstep.

Driving up to Ladybower reservoir tomorrow then Weds I'm off on my mountain bike to get a couple of miles in.

Click image to enlarge
 Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #558082 22nd Aug 2016 7:50pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ nice rig

Out of interest a) how do you get the bikes up on the rack? I had an ML and found that hard even though the thule racks are good.

2) What sort of MPG do you get towing.

I miss our van Sad
Post #558093 22nd Aug 2016 8:25pm
Thor

Thanks Stacey007, we only got the van in Feb/March this year and Thursday night will be out 24th night in it. Done a couple local ish trips on Hurley, Forest of Dean and ventured to Newquay for a week. We've this week in The Peaks then I'm off to Wales for a weeks mountain biking in Wales the beginning of October.

I think I remember reading about your van?!? Was it stolen just before a holiday?

I've seen a couple people mention how difficult it is getting bikes up there but I just open the rear passenger door, hold the bike with one hand above my head, use the other hand to grab the rack and step up onto the rear tyre and floor (through the open door) and pop the bike in the rack. Obviously the rack is prepped first with the ratchets undone etc. I have a ladder on the back but only use that if I'm putting a third bike in the middle.

I'll try to remember to get my girlfriend to take a couple pics as I do it Friday morning when we pack up. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #558239 23rd Aug 2016 10:22am
Thor

Oh, and mpg.

No idea lol. I've not worked it out but my TD5 110 does a little over 350 miles till the needle is sitting at the top of the red of the fuel gauge. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #558241 23rd Aug 2016 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1