↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Lancashire to Italy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnp1887

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Lancashire to Italy
We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Italy in the D90. We hope to take in Luxembourg, and Lake Lucerne and then down to Nice and follow the coast into Northern Italy, We are wondering if anyone has done it and can recommend any route options and recommend any accommodation on the way
Should I take a gearbox output shaft with me ????
Thanks
Rolling with laughter
Post #552823 1st Aug 2016 1:08pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
When are you going? Soon? If so and should you come this way (French Alps) from Lucerne, I can wholly recommend NOT going down the Route Napoleon/N85 between Grenoble and the Côte d'Azur. Whilst wonderfully picturesque, if you're not in/on something small and fast that can overtake the caravans of Dutch caravans, it us a bloody nightmare and best saved for Autumn. If you are in the area though, the French Alps, do consider some of the Grand Route des Alpes (although parts will be as busy as the N85) and enjoy (perhaps stay out on) some of the high mountain passes. There are also a couple of corkers between Italy and France. If you're interested I'll try and dredge up which they are. As far as towns are concerned, Aix en Provence and Turin are two lovely cities and then there are a plethora of small villages along the coast. I'm a particular fan of Nole and the old town in Varigotti in Liguria, and whilst there don't hesitate to get away from the crowds and head into the mountains. There are numerous roads straight off the coastal road leading to some gorgeous villages. If you want to stay anywhere near Mont Blanc, Saint Gervais Les Bains is by far the most picturesque, but I would say that, I live here. But also central fir Chamonix, the Mont Blanc Tunnel, Geneva etc. And on your way back, avoid Genoa like the plague. Big Cry

Apart from the traffic and the tourists Whistle it's all beautiful down here. Bar getting stuck in a traffic jam, nothing will disappoint. Enjoy Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #552897 1st Aug 2016 5:44pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have just come back from Italy, more precisely from Caorle.
We were there for 2 weeks.
I had the clutch and output shaft done just before , the clutch started rattling about 2 months before.
We did 2700 miles. drove from Dunkirk through Belgium, Germany, Austria and in to Italy.
On the way back we came via Milan, Lake Como and Switzerland Lake Lugano, Lake of Luzern then straight to Calais.
One of the best holidays I have ever had.
In Italy we visited Venice and Padova. Loved it and hope to go again next year.
In Austria we paid 17euros to drive through for 2 weeks and in Switzerland 80euros 40 for the car 40 for the trailer tent.
The great Dgardel came to visit and I got see his great defender.
My defender performed brilliantly all the way with the trailer tent, bike rack with 4 bikes and all the other stuff we take on holiday. On the way back we added another 150litres of wine.

Regards

Fabio
Post #552925 1st Aug 2016 7:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1