Home > Expedition & Overland > Aberdeenshire to the Vosges
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Aberdeenshire to the Vosges
The Defender
So the 110 performed impeccably for the 1000+mile each way trip to the Vosges region of France for our summer holiday loaded up with our camping equipment and 4 mountain bikes.

Motorway driving in France was a little hot without any AC but bearable if dressed in shorts and t-shirt. Certainly missed the vents and sunroof of our previous 300tdi but the quieter and faster cruising made it much more pleasant. Fuel consumption was slightly more than normal. I didn’t do any accurate calculations but expect it was very low 20’s. We cruised most of the time at 70 on the speedo.

The ultragauge showed the engine temperature stayed between 94 and 99deg C on the motorways. 99 was usually reached on the inclines before it would start to drop off. I think I would like to see if I could get it to run a little cooler so welcome to suggestions. I had replaced the thermostat about a couple of months ago after it started reaching over 100 a few times which seems to have improved things a bit but I think I might try a spacer on the fan next.

Before the trip I had a full service done at Mann Automotive in Laurencekirk so some credit due to them especially with the detailed list of work done and topix checklist/updates. I took quite a few spares including spare intercooler hoses but needed nothing. In fact this is the first long trip I have done where I didn’t even open the bonnet during the trip apart from after the stop off in Cheshire on the way back to check oil and top up washer.

The Trip
We crossed Dover Calais with P&O. Quick and easy through the check-in and put on an earlier ferry each time. Benefit of the Scottish schools finishing early for the summer meant we were going the opposite way to the delays last Friday. Hope no-one here got caught in it.

On the way down we took our time with overnight stops in North Berwick and Cheshire. We also stopped just outside Calais at a nice campsite we had used before. On the way back we did Vosges to Cheshire in one day which is around 600 miles (Certainly was wishing for comfier seats after that run!) After staying at my parents for two days in Cheshire we drove home to Aberdeenshire in a day (400 miles). We had a sanef toll tag which made going through French tolls easy.

We got plenty of waves from other defenders on the motorways, were any of those you?! Also spoke to a couple of defender drivers enroute.

We stayed at a campsite between Granges-sur-Vologne and Gerardmer in the Ballons des Vosges, National Park. This was in the middle of a forest at 720m altitude with walking and biking trails from the door and allowed open fires which we cooked on every night. We were the only British at the campsite and didn’t see another British car in the area, most people were Dutch. I think there was a bit of dutch oven competitiveness – we made pizzas and chocolate cake while our neighbours made some bread in theirs! The campsite had a small restaurant, shop, covered swimming pool and fishing pond. It also in had various low key kids entertainment and kids club that we didn’t use. The pitches where big which was great as we had two tents and the awning from the defender which provided great rain and shade cover. It was certainly a quieter campsite than some of the others in the region that we looked at, which suited us – the ones on the sides of the local lakes were much busier.

We had rain the first two days then sun the rest with temperatures just below 30 degrees. We did day a trip to Colmar including La Montagne des Singes monkey park, a day biking and then as the weather warmed up shorter trips out local from the campsite including other walking and biking and to lake for swimming. Generally a very relaxing holiday. As we like mountains a lot of our trips went over the Routes des Cretes which is a high level road built by the French military in the first world war for movement of troops. A lot of it is over 950m. All tarmac so nothing special for a defender but an interesting road. We didn’t find any vehicle permitted off road routes around where we were staying but plenty for the mountain bikes.

Certainly recommend the Vosges area as a place to visit and for those of you further south than us it is not too far to go. I think we were lucky with the weather as it does have a reputation for rain but that is quite common in most mountainous regions anyway.

Defender on the ferry:

Click image to enlarge

Our camping set up:

Click image to enlarge

Colmar "Little Venice"

Click image to enlarge

Mountain Biking:

Click image to enlarge

Gerardmer Lake:

Click image to enlarge

La Montagne des Singes monkey park:

Click image to enlarge

View from Le Hohneck (highest peak):

Click image to enlarge

Dutch Oven Pizza:

Click image to enlarge
Post #551324 26th Jul 2016 12:39pm
languedoc

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alaska White
Looks like a great trip. I am interested in a Dutch oven too but fear googling brings up the other meaning!

Don't think the wife would be pleased!

Do you have a link to the family friendly variety?
Post #551331 26th Jul 2016 1:14pm
Scotm

Post #551336 26th Jul 2016 1:38pm
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Very good pictures, that shot from Colmar looks beautiful Thumbs Up 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #551338 26th Jul 2016 2:14pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
What size is you Dutch oven in the photo?

Looks and sound like you had a good time Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #551350 26th Jul 2016 2:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scotm

Ours is a 6 litre one.

Warm weather compared to home always helps!
Post #551352 26th Jul 2016 3:02pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Re: Aberdeenshire to the Vosges
Scotm wrote:
The Defender
The ultragauge showed the engine temperature stayed between 94 and 99deg C on the motorways. 99 was usually reached on the inclines before it would start to drop off. I think I would like to see if I could get it to run a little cooler so welcome to suggestions. I had replaced the thermostat about a couple of months ago after it started reaching over 100 a few times which seems to have improved things a bit but I think I might try a spacer on the fan next.

Which thermostat did you use as replacement? The standard version which only opens as of 88°C, or the Land Rover PEL500110 for warmer climates which opens already as of 82°C?
Not sure if you know about below thread. Might be interesting to read.
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic32086....p;start=15
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #551353 26th Jul 2016 3:19pm
Scotm

Hi Eric

I have the standard thermostat fitted.

I read that thread a number of times before deciding. I would be interested to hear from someone that has the PEL500110 fitted and an ultragauge. Warm up time critical up here in the winter and maximum temperature only an issue for summer holidays!

Once it hits 99deg and I push it a bit harder it cools down quite quickly leading me to think this is when the fan kicks in. With a spacer then in theory the fan should kick in at a lower temperature.
Post #551357 26th Jul 2016 3:42pm
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi
We had a trip down through France a few weeks ago, and did approx 2500 miles , doing a lot of the Alpine passes , some high tracks , and motorway cruising. Before leaving I had a fan spacer fitted as last year on a similar trip I had the Land Rover go into limp mode on 3 occasions on long climbs whilst travelling on the A 75 . It was probably hotter last year, and I have no way of monitoring the engine stats. but this year was problem free with no overheating.
It is a relatively cheap mod and seems to give peace of mind , the fan looks as though it is where it needs to be once fitted and I am sure it sounds different as it pulls in more air.
I purchased it from Brendon at 4x4 overlander who always have a great service .
This was fitted to a 2007 2.4 tdci which when in holiday mode is loaded up with roof rack etc.
Just my experiences , Nick
Post #551507 27th Jul 2016 7:18am
rleslie

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
We are just back from a tour round the UK. 2180 miles later. Stopping off at York, Cambridge, Henley-on-Thames, Poole, St Austell, Bath, Caernarfon, Dunblane. A few very nice camp sites.

We had only 1 strange event where pulling out of our Welsh camp site the engine went into limp mode and the engine management light came on. Pulled over, disconnected the batteries, then restarted. The engine light stayed on but limp mode was gone. After driving at 70mph for the next 120 miles stopped for fuel and the engine management light disappeared. Everything back to normal. I don't have any gauges, so no idea if it was temp related.

Yes we appreciated the A/C in our Landy, some very hot days down south.

Our Oztent we really good, with so many re-pitching we got quiet slick by the end of the holiday. It was also the first camping trip we had an Engel fridge.... cold cider.... Brilliant.

I found it a mixed bag with some Landy drivers giving you a hearty wave and the next 4, totally blanking you. I always give a wave, which always gives the rest of my family a laugh.

Roll on our next big camping trip next year, hopefully to Germany.

Cheers

Richard

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #551521 27th Jul 2016 9:15am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
That's and extremely packed 110 Richard!

Where the hell did you fit the dogs? Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #551540 27th Jul 2016 10:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rleslie

Yeah Russell it was well packed. Our oldest son does his own thing now, so we only had our youngest son in the back, along with the dogs bed on top of the seats. I removed the 2 rear seats in the boot, which has given us a lot more space in the back.

This was us down sizing, usually I take a trailer!

Click image to enlarge
Post #551543 27th Jul 2016 10:48am
Scotm

Ah Richard - I recognize your truck and trailer from the Daviot Scout Campsite - have seen it a couple of times but not spoken to you. Will look out for you next time!

Mike
Post #551562 27th Jul 2016 11:56am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Kite buggies!!!! Cool Cool
Post #551567 27th Jul 2016 12:08pm
rleslie

Aye Mike next time you see the Landy at Daviot give me a shout, we usually have a few camps there every year.

Yeah the kite buggies are good fun, as long as I keep all 3 wheels on the ground.....I'm too old for flying....
Post #551595 27th Jul 2016 2:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>