↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Stakenut to old style two nut system - unexpected moment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Stakenut to old style two nut system - unexpected moment
I'll explain the steps:

Clean stub axle.
Hub on and bearings in.
Thrust washer on.
Adjusting nut in - torqued to 61Nm to seat the bearings nice'n'snug - backed off 90deg.
Re-torqued a few times finding the best balance between tight bearings and an endfloat of 0.01mm ... ended up around 6Nm
Bendy tab washer thingy goes in.
Locking nut goes on, torque to 61Nm.
Bend tabs on tab washer over ...

>> ZOINK! both nuts and the tab washer rotate as a unit in the counterclockwise direction when I tap the washer with my chisel.

Obviously only as far as the flat in the stub axle will let it ... but all that effort gone into the WSM mandated end float checking is wasted. It's pretty much random now* - well looser in my case, but if I had had the washer aligned/biased in the 'it can only tighten from here' direction to start with I would have been in a better place.

Is this something that happens and people either don't notice/don't care - and it's typical me attracting these 'hrrrm' moments?

Usually with two nuts you hold the inner one with a wrench and torque up the lock nut towards it so they get all snug and compressed, but here you're replying on the bearings to work as a wrench - ha!

(*) well it's probably the angle it rotated divided by 360*threadPitch looser Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550348 22nd Jul 2016 6:39am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Do the outer nut up tighter.

I do the inner one by hand/feel, then put the tab washer on, and then he outer nut which gets done up to F.T. with a big socket. Then tap over the tab washer each way.

Very occasionally the whole lot moves a little when doing the outer nut up, but only as much as the tab will allow which is tiny really and shouldn't affect your preload. If youre concerned simply re-set it.
Post #550527 22nd Jul 2016 10:30pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Yeah, fair enough.

I guess this thread was me idiot checking it. Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550528 22nd Jul 2016 10:38pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Re: Stakenut to old style two nut system - unexpected moment
I think you're over complicating things TBH. The design you are dealing with is pretty much unchanged for the last 70 years, you really don't have to be so precise or technical with it. It's an agricultural design not a top end sports car.

One thing I will point out though, there are two part numbers for the washers with flats, the early one is a looser fit than the later one so they do rotate a bit on the stub axle.

Tighten the inner nut up while spinning the hub so that the bearings are settled, then back it off by 90 degrees. Put the lock washer on and then tighten the outer nut up as tight as you can, with a new lock washer the inner nut shouldn't move much but remember that you've now rotated the lock washer as far clockwise as it can go.

Bend the washer to lock the two nuts, put it back together and don't worry about it. If you start measuring end float and messing about you'll achieve pretty much nothing and just give yourself a headache !

You might want to consider converting to oil too if you've not done already. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #550529 22nd Jul 2016 10:43pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
'Tight as I can' would be my dynamic mass after falling 2.08 metres landing on the end of a 3/4" drive sliding t-bar set up parallel to the ground.

A wee bit over 61Nm Shocked Laughing

I hear ya though, it's all good - in two nut system I trust Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550534 22nd Jul 2016 11:01pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Lock nuts work by stretching either the nut or the shaft to form a clamp. 61ftlb wont do it, FT is the way Razz
Post #550565 23rd Jul 2016 7:59am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Lock nut will be under compression, stub axle will be under reactive tension. But you've got forces going all over the show with threads and thrust washers also, each with their own static/dynamic frictions - so that depending on which thresholds are overcome first (and in which direction) many things can happen.

Wee bit beside the point though, all that engineering wont help you much when you're doing it - unless you can figure out exactly where to apply grease to get the effect you're after Rolling Eyes

In my case using more torque simply lead to the adjustment washer tightening ...

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is an FT? At a guess I suggest it may prompt the Censored emoticon ... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550574 23rd Jul 2016 9:31am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Fu**ing tight.

General torque setting for most big things on a Land Rover.
Post #550633 23rd Jul 2016 2:14pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
And this is why I like the modern stake nut system! One nut done to ft, then whack the collar flat to lock it off
Post #550653 23rd Jul 2016 5:57pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Ah, and here's me thinking it was 'fu ck ton' Laughing Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550671 23rd Jul 2016 7:54pm
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
....I would like to point out that the exact same setup in a disco require a torque setting of 10 NM ,while the figure is 6 for a defender. the exact same lot, same bearing, same washers everything.

just saying
Post #550803 24th Jul 2016 11:24am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Bit late I know but I have just done both brake disks and callipers and mine. Being an older defender it has a factory 2 nut system and a few oddities which make interesting discussion points. (one side is oil lubricated shafts, the other isnt-how they have lasted)

I have taken lots of photos and will be uploading a annotated thread to my build diary so we can all see what is involved and idiot check together.

Watch this space Thumbs Up

But the too long didn't read version is...

Tighten inner nut against washer, back off a nip, put in tab washer, stick outer nut on tight, bend over tab washer, rotate wheel back and forth -should free wheel for 2 seconds-ish then reassemble the rest of it.

Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #550950 24th Jul 2016 9:22pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Hello!

Nice to know someone else is wandering through the same woods at the moment Thumbs Up

Hrrrm, well mine hardly freewheel at all, but of course it depends on how hard you spin 'em.

Also how much grease has been packed in the bearings. Also if they're new they might need a bit more force/movement/heat than just that initial adjustment nut torque to get them all seated and 'run-in' - at least in my experience it was like that with bicycle wheel bearings and bottom brackets...

For an idea of the spin I watched the YouTube LRToolbox vids, in one of them he did a bearing swap and two nut assembly, he spins it and it stops pretty soon. But again, no idea what force, what amount of grease or even if the hub was actually done properly or just for show.

I'm going to run one wheel on steel so I can check for heat after 5min, 10min, 20min, 1hr... if they're good, I'm happy Smile Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550961 24th Jul 2016 9:38pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Were all in the woods man, its a Land Rover Owner thing Laughing Thumbs Up

This was giving it a damn good spin, without the drive flange attached mind. With older bearings but packed with new grease- its one of those things where if you say "just give it a tap with a hammer" to 3 different people you get 3 different interpretations on what a tap is, from a gentle tick to a full on belt!

I had a quick 45 mile trip on A-roads and motorways and at the end of it the hub was warm but no warmer than the rear hubs which were untouched Thumbs Up

Sounds like you got everything right though! Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #550970 24th Jul 2016 9:54pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Good point re. having one to compare. Just remembered I've still got an old steel wheel with tyre installed laying out back. Sheesh I've even got a digital thermometer with surface probes!

Best would be two IR thermometers downloading data to LabVIEW/simulink as I drive Laughing

I love numbers, when they're working out for me that is Wink Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550976 24th Jul 2016 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>