↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyres for 2012 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
We used 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx on our 90 on our trip around Australia, including a solo Simpson Desert crossing. They never really gave us any problems on our 16,000 mile trip and hey've since done 2 years "normal" use on the 90 since we came back. I borrowed the 90 for a trials competition recently and even fairly well worn they handled it pretty well.

All in all we're very impressed with them for an AT tyre. Good handling and quiet on the road and plenty of grip and flotation in the deep sand. We aired them down for deep sand but most of the time in bull dust etc... on dirt roads they were fine anyway.

Until recently I ran 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolandar M/T on my trials motor but, having damaged one beyond repair, I've now found out they've stopped supplying them. As a result of this and the good experience with the Coopers I'm currently changing over to the Cooper STT Pro for general off roading/trialling. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #553109 2nd Aug 2016 2:48pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
So Dave, was the 265/75 on a standard rim,..7"?.....no problems on lock etc?
Pickles.
Post #553283 3rd Aug 2016 12:38am
TVM

United Arab Emirates 
Hi Jose

Its a Y61(patrol - safari). A great car and love it for its power, road presence and great off-road abilities. All good except for fuel consumption. Here its one of the best performers in sand. However, I always wanted a Defender and got my truck only few months back. Yet to take it to sand. Its the peak summer now. Waiting for end of September for the first drive.

Davew - What pressure did you use in deep soft sand.

Cheers TVM
Post #553295 3rd Aug 2016 6:07am
davew

Pickles wrote:
So Dave, was the 265/75 on a standard rim,..7"?.....no problems on lock etc?
Pickles.

We have 8 inch steel modulars with a decent offset, 8 inch gives you a good contact area and the offset ensures there aren't any steering lock problems although they do tend to throw mud up the sides of the vehicle. I also think 8 inch are less prone to letting the tyre get pushed off the bead when aired down. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #553665 4th Aug 2016 12:28pm
davew

TVM wrote:
Hi Jose

Its a Y61(patrol - safari). A great car and love it for its power, road presence and great off-road abilities. All good except for fuel consumption. Here its one of the best performers in sand. However, I always wanted a Defender and got my truck only few months back. Yet to take it to sand. Its the peak summer now. Waiting for end of September for the first drive.

Davew - What pressure did you use in deep soft sand.

Cheers TVM

Usually around 12psi, any lower than that and the risk of throwing a tyre off the bead outweighs the advantages. On my competition motor with beadlocks I've taken the valves out before now and run them like that for climbing dunes. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #553667 4th Aug 2016 12:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12