↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > route 500
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
route 500
Am I mad to think I can do this with a caravan in tow?

http://www.northcoast500.com/itinerary/active-adventurer.aspx?
Post #549160 16th Jul 2016 2:57pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
you would certainly find some roads challenging with a caravan - all doable though I would say...

I have done most of them in a Defender (not towing), on a motorbike, and some in a motorhome

I was near Applecross a couple of weeks ago and some guys were cycling it (quite a common cycling challenge)

The Bealach na Ba will be fun with a caravan:
http://www.kishornonline.co.uk/bealach-na-ba.html

I think GREENI did a lot of it with a caravan...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15011....land[/img] Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #549161 16th Jul 2016 3:03pm
Caterham

Ah.

Thanks MK.....your link starts with..
PLEASE NOTE: Caravans and articulated vehicles are not permitted on the pass. 
Post #549164 16th Jul 2016 3:38pm
MartinK

Don't worry - people do do it... depends how confident you feel Smile Altho a 110 with a large turning-circle is a handful on the Bealach...

Do it when the road is quiet. It's only "not advised" on the signage. Lots do.

You can aloways miss that bit - there's a less demanding route Lochcarron to Shieldaig Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 16th Jul 2016 4:33pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #549166 16th Jul 2016 3:55pm
MartinK

I did a lot of the route in 3 days last month...Drove to Durness in one go, then spent 2 days driving the coast road South to Applecross...

Durness Campsite, 10th June 2016:

Click image to enlarge

It was so close to midsummers night that it never went dark at night so far North Smile

And this last year http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic31177....efendering

I would be happy to help you plan... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 16th Jul 2016 4:58pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #549167 16th Jul 2016 4:04pm
Caterham

Thank you. I'll do a bit more research tonight on the pc rather than the mobile.
Post #549173 16th Jul 2016 4:52pm
Rudski

Hi caterham

Yes Mad as hatter to try it

I was up there six weeks ago, stopped in applecross for a few days and cycled the pass both ways, we had a roof tent weather was perfect.
I also used to tow a caravan, I wouldn't even attempt a caravan over there, depending on its size still wouldn't matter if you happened To meet anything then I'm afraid you would really struggle to pass. And it's a very long way down if something went wrong. The road switches back on its self quite a few times alpine like.
Just my personal opinion, but the sign at the bottom is there for a reason, and it's a six mile climb to the top. Shocked

Whatever you choose its a beautiful part of the country, we had three weeks with only one day and night of bad weather Very Happy don't think we will ever be as lucky again.
Post #549222 16th Jul 2016 10:35pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I'm planning on doing it in October - better air for photography, should be fun. I was thinking of taking the M3 but was advised that its better suited to a Land Rover. Might be the last trip in the defender.
Post #549249 17th Jul 2016 6:51am
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Definitely a trip for next year for us. We did parts of the route 20 years ago so will be interesting to see how things have changed. The scenery was absolutely stunning.

Not sure I'd take a caravan though. We were thinking of hiring a VW camper Thumbs Up

Are you leaving the fold bpman?
Post #549256 17th Jul 2016 9:11am
Caterham

Rudski wrote:
Hi caterham

Yes Mad as hatter to try it

I was thinking more the whole trip and not so much just Applecross. Having looked at the switch backs I knowing I'm not the most confident person on the road when it comes to towing I think I'll be avoiding Applecross.

Hopefully the rest of the route is more than do-able?

Looking at the photos it does like fantastic but I wonder if we might be disappointed after seeing so many photos and we might wish we'd just pitched up at Oban for the week and done a couple of day trips instead?

/\ BPMAN - are you off?
Post #549260 17th Jul 2016 9:31am
MartinK

There is some nice coastal parts near Oban... Craobh Haven, Appin, Ardfern etc and some of the Islands.

IMHO the scenery get better above the Skye bridge... Plockton, and all the way North to Durness is just amazing

I head up there as much as I reasonably can Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #549262 17th Jul 2016 9:34am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Did similar route two years ago, don't do camping though so stopovers in Kendal (Eagle & Child LA8 9LP), Fort William (Moorings Hotel PH33 7LY), Fort William to Kishorn, Shieldaig, Fearnmore, Applecross, Kishorn, Shieldaig (Kishorn and Shieldaig twice as better to go anticlockwise for better views!), then Torridon (The Torridon Inn IV22 2EY), Elphin, Clashnessie, Drumbeg, Laxford Bridge, Durness to Melvich (Melvich Hotel KW14 7YJ), then Dunnet Head, John O’Groats, Dornoch, Nairn, Glenlivet, Tomintoul (Glentorets B & B AB37 9HU), then Glen Cova, to Melrose (Burts Hotel TD6 9PN) as a base for some local touring (including Holy Island, fabulous).

Then Whitby (White Horse & Griffin Y022 4BH).

Down to Dover, ferry to Dunkirk, then over the Alps to our gaff in the South of France (via Laon, Reims, Troyes, Voué, Chambery, Saint-Étienne-de-Cuines, Valloire, Guillestre, Le Lauzet-Ubaye, Le Lauzet-Ubaye, Saint-Sauveur-sur-Tinée, Nice; didn't note the hotels we overnighted, but invariably Logis de France).

All in a classic Morgan, so certainly doable in a Defender.

But PLEASE let everybody know when you're gonna attempt the Bealach na Bà with a caravan… so we can all avoid you!

Peter
Post #549265 17th Jul 2016 9:56am
Caterham

I suspect this would be difficult enough in a 110 .....with a trailer Crying or Very sad

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/...tion=click
Post #549271 17th Jul 2016 10:32am
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
Last year we drove a lot of the 500 route. We intended to follow it all, but once we were out there ended up veering off course a few times to see other things or just pick a different route that looked like it might be nice.

The image you posted Caterham, if my memory is correct, is the lower bend here:

You can see that there's actually a passing place which might give you enough of a swing to get a 110 around. In the 90 I was hugging the left on this bit so ended up having to 3-point it, but that was my own fault.

I've never towed anything so it's hard to judge, but I think it'd be quite difficult. As we were setting off from Applecross we met an Aussie couple in a motorhome who said, to quote, "Crikey, there's some hairy bends around there mate". They'd had to reverse to get around most of the switchbacks. I'd guess a 110 would be in a similar situation, or worse with a caravan on the back. Still, he wasn't particularly put out by it all.

Supposedly going away from Applecross is easier than going toward. That's the way that we ended up tking it. The motorhome we met was coming from the other way.

This was our whole route, if it's any use for you in your planning: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18PHaweZy...sp=sharing. Some of the lines are straight - that's where the tracker couldn't get a signal. Unfortunately that seems to be the case for all of the Bealach na Ba.
Post #549289 17th Jul 2016 12:01pm
MartinK

I drove the Bealach na Ba in the 110 a couple of weeks ago.

Managed all the hairpins without 3-pointing, but it was quiet so I could use all the road...

Done it a few times in the 110.... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #549511 18th Jul 2016 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>