Home > In Car Electronics > Focal Audio - Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Focal Audio - Question
Bonjour chums.

Popped into my local, French equivalent of Halfords and whilst wandering around I noticed they stocked Focal car audio kits and at sensible prices. Seeing the stock and surprised by the prices I could only assume that it must be a French brand, given nothing is sensibly priced and/or available in France unless made in country. A quick Wiki checked confirmed my thoughts.

As such, it makes sense to go Focal for the speaker upgrade. I'm not going to go overboard, it is a Defender after all, so I'm thinking choosing the 'Access' range. My first question is whether I should be buying all the cabling as well or simply swap speaker for speaker etc? Not being a HiFi buff I'm not sure how much I would lose in sound quality (remember, in a Defender not a super quiet Roller) vis a vis the effort to re-wire everything. I'm not great at electrics, although the DC will be gutted to have some SilentCoat put in, so access will be available. Any thoughts?

Second question. The world harps on about Sonos for home stereos, due to accessibility, with the other classic brands such as Bowers and Wilkins, B&O, etc in the mix. However, has anyone hoses the Focal stuff (or the NAIM variety) instead? Looking for a couple of movable speakers and a sound bar for the telly. Opinion from someone who has plumped for Focal would be appreciated. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #548640 14th Jul 2016 8:25am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Can't help you with the in-car stuff. Like you I have thought about improving the in-car system but not got around to it yet...

However at home...

I have a couple of setups. Dependent on your TV you may be limited for outputs. Both my Panasonics have limited outputs (no RCA). On both TV's I have used a SPDIF connection (fibre optic) to a DAC, then onto a normal amplifier and speakers.

My fave setup is via a cheap (i.e. £5) fibre optic cable, and a Beresford DAC
http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7534.htm

You can buy a DAC for the same (ish) price from Richer Sounds (DACMagic 100 IIRC) but I wanted to support a small (but VERY good) UK company like Beresford...

The small in-line type items don't give off enough power (low RCA voltage), and you find your HiFi is on high volume whilst the sound is weak (so when you switch back to CD/DAB you get really high volumes!). The Beresford is same as CD/DAB/etc at 2v. Most of the small inline DAC's don't give enough power - I tried an ESYNiC one first and sent it back...

Downside of this is that the DAC / Amplifier have separate volume controls, and separate on-off buttons. However if you have HiFi already it means you're not doubling-up on gadgets and speakers...

I bought my Dad a basic Panasonic sound bar. It integrates fully with the Pana TV. The same remote operates both (probably via Viera link), it turns on and off with the TV, sounds great (he's hard of hearing). Much more integrated, and on the upside, makes voices much easier to understand...(especially on movies with awkward sound recordings)
Downside of the soundbar, if you like music (i.e. watching Glastonbury, or YouTube), the sound is nowhere near as good as using a DAC and your HiFi.

The Beresford DAC will give you more flexibility in future (plugging-in a digital streamer, or your PC via USB for instance). Also Beresford seem to offer upgrades and repairs, making it a sounder investment that a Chinese DACMagic100... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 14th Jul 2016 9:46am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #548644 14th Jul 2016 8:46am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Just had mine upgraded to the following:

Focal 100 KRS 4” mid and tweeter package (front components)
JL Audio XD 500/3 3 channel class D power amp
JL Audio CP106 Compact, hi-output console mounted subwoofer
Alpine SXE1025S Rear coaxial replacement speakers
Double DIN Sat Nav Pioneer AVIC F88 DAB

Sounds fantastic even at low levels as I also had full insulation/soundproofing which is a must have, it makes a vast difference.

Not sure if they replaced the cables though sorry.

I now have a very stern woman in my car who tells me off if I go over the speed limit Rolling with laughter It's a feature of the Pioneer unit. I can and may turn her off Whistle

I have a Samsung sound bar for my big 65" Samsung TV, it sounds great but I'm no sound buff.

Last edited by Riverboy on 14th Jul 2016 9:51am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #548655 14th Jul 2016 9:38am
Grenadier

Thanks Riverboy. Thumbs Up

Thinking the same of all you have mentioned. Hoping to tackle soundproofing and speakers in Autumn. Now I have my 'greatest tunes ever' playlist on Spotify (1300 songs and 90hrs so far), need to back it up with some proper sounds. Mrs Grenadier's new TT has the full B&O 10-speaker system which sounds amazing, keen to improve the Def, even it will never quite match the TT.

As far as the stern woman who tells you off when you speed, strange, I met my wife in a nightclub not a stereo and I can't turn her off Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #548659 14th Jul 2016 9:49am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
good call, I'm off on my annual tour of France, Switzerland and Italy next month, so I will try and pick up a set of focals.

What's the name of the French Halfords ?

Home hifi - I have Naim kit, have a listen before and make your own mind up, you won't be disappointed

I have one system with bookshelf speakers and a sub, and another with BIG speakers ... TBH BIG speakers sound best
Post #548660 14th Jul 2016 9:51am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
As long as you can turn her on Rolling with laughter

I assume he means Feu Vert (no where near as good as Halfords but all we have)
Post #548661 14th Jul 2016 9:52am
Grenadier

bpman wrote:
good call, I'm off on my annual tour of France, Switzerland and Italy next month, so I will try and pick up a set of focals.

What's the name of the French Halfords ?

Home hifi - I have Naim kit, have a listen before and make your own mind up, you won't be disappointed

I have one system with bookshelf speakers and a sub, and another with BIG speakers ... TBH BIG speakers sound best

Bigger is always best, ahem Whistle

FeuVert is who you're after. Just check prices, as with the drop in Sterling/Euro prices it might still be cheaper (for you) in the UK.

http://www.feuvert.fr/?Ntt=Focal&Dy=1&Nty=1

And thanks for the thoughts on NAIM. Will track them, and Focal home, down for a listen.

Or I'll simply get one of these. Wow Bow down

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/technolo...-exceptio/

PS. Do get in touch if you're near Chamonx/Saint Gervais/Megeve/Geneva etc... Monsieur Le Grenadier

Last edited by Grenadier on 14th Jul 2016 10:08am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #548663 14th Jul 2016 9:57am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
Thanks Riverboy. Thumbs Up

Thinking the same of all you have mentioned. Hoping to tackle soundproofing and speakers in Autumn. Now I have my 'greatest tunes ever' playlist on Spotify (1300 songs and 90hrs so far), need to back it up with some proper sounds. Mrs Grenadier's new TT has the full B&O 10-speaker system which sounds amazing, keen to improve the Def, even it will never quite match the TT.

As far as the stern woman who tells you off when you speed, strange, I met my wife in a nightclub not a stereo and I can't turn her off Whistle

I have a focal / Jl audio set up with a hertz amp... actually sounds better than the B&O system in our audi Very Happy

About replacing the cables, i first installed the focals like for like, but when i installed the amp i ran new cables, its a lot more power running down the cables a lot large diameter than standard LR.
Post #548664 14th Jul 2016 9:58am
Grenadier

Riverboy wrote:
As long as you can turn her on Rolling with laughter

I assume he means Feu Vert (no where near as good as Halfords but all we have)

Absolutely right. But better than Roady. At least where I am.

Hopefully I'm not going to disappoint you, but FV have some good prices (take note all who live in France) on their Focal stuff at the moment.

http://www.feuvert.fr/?Ntt=Focal&Dy=1&Nty=1 Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #548665 14th Jul 2016 10:00am
Grenadier

MartinK wrote:
Can't help you with the in-car stuff. Like you I have thought about improving the in-car system but not got around to it yet...

However at home...

I have a couple of setups. Dependent on your TV you may be limited for outputs. Both my Panasonics have limited outputs (no RCA). On both TV's I have used a SPDIF connection (fibre optic) to a DAC, then onto a normal amplifier and speakers.

My fave setup is via a cheap (i.e. £5) fibre optic cable, and a Beresford DAC
http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7534.htm

You can buy a DAC for the same (ish) price from Richer Sounds (DACMagic 100 IIRC) but I wanted to support a small (but VERY good) UK company like Beresford...

The small in-line type items don't give off enough power (low RCA voltage), and you find your HiFi is on high volume whilst the sound is weak (so when you switch back to CD/DAB you get really high volumes!). The Beresford is same as CD/DAB/etc at 2v. Most of the small inline DAC's don't give enough power - I tried an ESYNiC one first and sent it back...

Downside of this is that the DAC / Amplifier have separate volume controls, and separate on-off buttons. However if you have HiFi already it means you're not doubling-up on gadgets and speakers...

I bought my Dad a basic Panasonic sound bar. It integrates fully with the Pana TV. The same remote operates both (probably via Viera link), it turns on and off with the TV, sounds great (he's hard of hearing). Much more integrated, and on the upside, makes voices much easier to understand...(especially on movies with awkward sound recordings)
Downside of the soundbar, if you like music (i.e. watching Glastonbury, or YouTube), the sound is nowhere near as good as using a DAC and your HiFi.

The Beresford DAC will give you more flexibility in future (plugging-in a digital streamer, or your PC via USB for instance). Also Beresford seem to offer upgrades and repairs, making it a sounder investment that a Chinese DACMagic100...

Thanks for all the info Martin, will have a look and bare in mind your thoughts on the TVs output. It's a bang up to date Samsung UHD TV, but no idea how that improves the power (or not). However, any quality has to be balanced by Mrs Grenadier's requirement that whatever is used is neither ugly nor overwhelms her decor. It might have to be a Soundbar alone. When we do the barn conversion upstairs, a room will be put aside as a cinema. Then I can go bonkers and always happy to support smaller firms... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #548667 14th Jul 2016 10:13am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
thanks Monsieur Le Grenadier !

will be travelling thru Chamonix sometime in August, I'll ping you Thumbs Up
Post #548707 14th Jul 2016 12:44pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
bpman wrote:

Other than, perhaps, with the price.... Smile
Post #548970 15th Jul 2016 12:54pm
Scott_Landy

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Firenze Red
They use Naim as the premium stereo option in new Bentleys. That should tell you about the quality and the price!
Post #549071 15th Jul 2016 11:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1