↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 Down on Power / Smoking - MAF Sensor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
TD5 Down on Power / Smoking - MAF Sensor?
I have a 2005 TD5 110 which seems to have got steadily slower over the last few days and puffs black smoke on gear changes. The vehicle has been remapped so always had a little puff but its getting worse. I have checked the injector loom which is bone dry at both ends then fitted new fuel and air filters but that hasn't cured it.

The Nanocom is reading air flow at 4.4 gr/hr and looking on the internet that seems quite low, does this sound like the MAF is the cause of the smoking/loss of power? I've unplugged the MAF and driven the vehicle but there doesn't seem to be much difference whether its connected or not.

Thanks in advance,

Harry
Post #550058 20th Jul 2016 7:15pm
Gav40

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 Td5 HT Chawton White
My new Maf at idle

Click image to enlarge
Post #550065 20th Jul 2016 7:51pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Have you check intercooler and hoses? Red ecu plug for oil? 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #550096 20th Jul 2016 10:03pm
Harry.O

Thanks for the quick responses gents Thumbs Up

Gav40 - looks like the MAF is well below par, will get a new one ordered tomorrow. It could be that the remap/boost box is throwing funny readings although that was all done by Alive so inclined to think it would read true. Having read about on the internet it seems that 4.4 is quite a common reading to see when the MAF is dying. Similar example here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=61385

Pj2106 - the red plug is clean and so is the plug at the engine end. Not had a chance to check the IC pipes but will plug the diagnostics in tomorrow on the drive to work and see if anything unusual is happening and have a play with the waste gate actuator to check that is free.

Whilst digging around this evening I found that the exhaust manifold gasket is blowing on the rearmost port so will change that tomorrow also...fingers crossed it's just the gasket and not a warped manifold! It developed a ticking noise about 3 days ago which would explain the leak.

Thanks guys,

Harry
Post #550111 20th Jul 2016 11:00pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
4.40 is the ECUs default reading for when the airflow meter is dead Thumbs Up
Post #550132 21st Jul 2016 6:45am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As above Wink Thumbs Up.

I had a dead MAF once, reading 4.4. Just unplugged it for a while whilst I sorted another.

Make sure you get Genuine/VDO branded!
Post #550146 21st Jul 2016 8:33am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Having just replaced my maf, when I unplugged the old one it felt like it took a good few journeys to improve the power, sort of like the ecu was taking time to reset to generic values. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #550177 21st Jul 2016 10:59am
Harry.O

Thanks all Thumbs Up

New genuine MAF ordered this morning along with manifold gasket and studs etc. Hopefully that should have it sorted.

Interestingly there was no improvement having unplugged the MAF and driven it compared with it being connected although I only did a couple of miles, it will be interesting to see what benefits the new one brings. There is clearly a fault with it if it's giving such a low reading though.

Update to follow once the parts arrive tomorrow, thanks for all the help and advice Thumbs Up

Harry
Post #550221 21st Jul 2016 2:36pm
Harry.O

Well problem all sorted Very Happy

Upon removal of the exhaust manifold it had warped by 4mm when put on a flat surface. A friend had a de-webbed, heat treated and machined manifold which I was able to buy from him which saved trying to find a machine shop at 6pm on a Friday and should hopefully prevent the same happening again! 2 of the exhaust studs had sheared inside the head but managed to drill/extract them. Everything has been refitted with new gaskets as per the workshop manual and using uprated Wurth studs.

Took it for a spin and noticeably smoother with no black smoke and the ticking noise from the exhaust had disappeared.

I then changed the MAF and the engine seems much more happy, power delivery is smooth through the rev range. Not had enough time to see whether the work has improved the fuel consumption yet but hopefully should do.

The engine still seems a little down on power however improves each time I drive it so hoping that the ECU is slowly adjusting as per mk1collector's mention of recalibration.

All in all a good result, thanks to everyone for the help Thumbs Up

Harry
Post #552083 29th Jul 2016 8:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1