↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > CHANGING THE ACCESSORY/SERPENTINE BELT ON A 2.4L TDCi 'Puma'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
CHANGING THE ACCESSORY/SERPENTINE BELT ON A 2.4L TDCi 'Puma'
Righto, so I found a few threads about on the net on this topic, but in doing it I discovered a couple of things (in bold below) that I thought might add to the 'literature' Wink

Only the interesting stuff covered...

> The fan has odd sized gaps and the largest easily accommodates a 1/2" drive extension, to this I added a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor and connected it to the square receptacle at the pulley end of the tensioner:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

> This was made much easier as I had a 'wobble' style extension that allows a slight angle on the sockets, without all the extra clunk of a universal joint:

Click image to enlarge

(you could use a 3/8" directly, but I didn't have one, make sure it's a good brand though...)

> Turned it - yes, turn it (don't push it down) - and hey presto the belt is nice'n'loose and easiest to pull off via the aircon pulley.

From there it was fun times to be had figuring out how to get it out without undoing anything else... Turns out it was easiest for me to undo the tensioner arm and remove it altogether:

Click image to enlarge

Ooooh, Ford parts numbers ?? Hrrrm, well 'AISi8Cu3Fe' according to google refers to the 2.2l TDCi (maybe?)... Anyway, it's nice to know it's likely available via Ford (hopefully?) as in terms of spares, even the Britpart version is 40 or so - this is a BS amount to pay when all that is really wearing here is the bearing:

Click image to enlarge

Which appears to be available all over the net (search NTN 6203-LAX30)

Anyhoo...

> Back together was a one man job, simple as, and pretty much going in reverse, toughest part is finding the dang torques in the WSM.

The old one looked like this compared:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That's after 100,000Km - It'll be my 'get me home' spare... Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #542881 24th Jun 2016 3:37am
Pinky

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Baltic Blue
Thanks, handy to know! Thumbs Up
Post #543035 24th Jun 2016 3:03pm
Hal

United Kingdom 
That's brilliant, thanks. Can it be made into a sticky on the forum?
Post #543112 24th Jun 2016 7:07pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Actually, it appears that the LAX30 suffix on the bearing may indicate it's a Ford special.

I'm still keen to try a standard 6203 (sealed) though!

Sticky if you like sure, but maybe wait until a more experienced mechanic type can give it the thumbs up? I should really add the torques too, they're not on hand ATM. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #543155 24th Jun 2016 9:06pm
AlanH

Australia 
I did this a couple of years ago on my 110 and really found it so much easier getting the belt on and off after removing the fan. A light tap on the spanner was all it needed to loosen the nut and off it came.
Then the tensioner itself was easy to remove and the job was a doddle.
Old belt in good condition tucked away as spare just in case.....
And I never use a torque wrench on most jobs, just do a decent tighten as I 've done throughout working life (when I actually worked at my trade of fitter that is) not like a big mate of mine who strips threads all the time.
AlanH.
Post #543235 25th Jun 2016 9:13am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
AlSi8Cu3Fe is the material the body is cast from, see all the chemical symbols?

I've just helped a friend do this on his 2.4.

We removed the fan with the help of a Td5 fan holder tool with some short bolts put though - I should have taken a photo Evil or Very Mad

With the fan off there is loads more room.

Usual tip: take some pics of the belt routing or sketch it out before removing Smile

I don't think the belt can be removed without removing (or at the very least loosening off) the tensioner from the engine?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #543281 25th Jun 2016 12:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
PS: stickied Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #543282 25th Jun 2016 12:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
On the 2.4 I found despite what I was thinking that it would be a much harder job to remove than it was.
It's harder to get back on but only because it's a little more fiddly / tricky.

Last edited by custom90 on 25th Jun 2016 11:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #543287 25th Jun 2016 12:26pm
AlanH

Australia 
I forgot to say that removing the tensioner completely makes it a doddle. Once the tension is off and the belt pushed to one side the bolt comes out with no problems. Tension when replacing is just a decent tighten strength.
Yes and don't forget to take pics or draw a line map showing the belts twists and turns...... and it still took me a couple of goes to get it right. Razz
Alan.
Post #543437 25th Jun 2016 10:48pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Just to revive and add to, maybe?

I recently had to do this and just to make sure, I fired the truck up (with the fan off) to see if everything was OK. I noticed that the tensioner was bouncing about, is this normal? I was told that it may be on it's way out and should be steady when the engine is idling an not dribbling like it was. Any truth to this?

In any case, no strange noises, with exception of the dribbling tensioner pulley, everything seems fine. Truck off, fan on. Done.

Incidentally, I noticed that the engine runs better now with the new belt, is it just me?
Post #595912 24th Jan 2017 3:30pm
AlanH

Australia 
I think there'll always been some movement as the belt is a flexible item not solid. Probably you're feeling good about doing the job yourself which makes the vehicle run quieter.
I'm now going to give my D4 it's very first oil change at less than half the distance LR say. No way would I allow oil in my engine for 23K or in my diffs or g/boxes to what they recommend.
Doing things yourself gives you a much better understanding of what does what and where it is and if you're deep in the bush as I sometimes am, every little bit of knowledge helps.
Cheers.
AlanH.
Post #638402 19th Jul 2017 8:58am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The old belt will starch somewhat over a period of time and no doubt slightly slip.
I bet if you compared New for old you'd tell the difference between them just in length.

You do indeed need to slacken the tensioner, but you don't have to remove it to remove the serpentine belt.

You also do not need to remove the fan at all.

It is fiddly to get back on generally, and be careful of pinching your fingers!

I would say an easier quicker job than EGR issues Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #638482 19th Jul 2017 4:40pm
AlanH

Australia 
I agree you don't have to remove the belt but speaking from my own experience it's easier to get the belt on and off especially if you forget to take pics. of how the belt goes back on.
And you then have to experiment a few times. As it only takes a few minutes to remove and replace, why not?
AlanH.
Post #640076 27th Jul 2017 8:32am
dgardel

Italy 
Re: CHANGING THE ACCESSORY/SERPENTINE BELT ON A 2.4L TDCi 'P
agentmulder wrote:

Ooooh, Ford parts numbers ?? Hrrrm, well 'AISi8Cu3Fe'

As Martin wrote, AISi8Cu3Fe is the chemical composition of the aluminum alloy used by die casting...... not the P/N Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #852079 26th Aug 2020 8:36am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
the tensioner has to come off to get the belt off.

Fan off is the sensible way to do it. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #852246 26th Aug 2020 8:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>