↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The Alpine bluetooth headunit, and the RCA out on the back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Matt110

United Kingdom 
The Alpine bluetooth headunit, and the RCA out on the back
So....... Land Rover were perhaps predictable and purchased a specially modified version of this standard headunit to remove the standard 3 pairs of RCA out's, and leave only one pair, marked "F/SUB". It's logical they should do this, but I didn't dream they actually would!!!

I am connecting a 6-Channel amplifier to it.

My question is this.....

Does anyone have any proof that the outputs work for a stereo pair (i.e. will work with full range audio), or does only the "sub" functionality work when connected to an amp. There are two RCA plugs, one white, one red, this suggests a stereo pairing, maybe the headunit is smart enough to give out a sub channel when only one is connected, and a stereo pairing when two are connected. But I don't know.

Well aware that it works for sub purposes, but very difficult to tell if it works as it is labelled on the back, as the Alpine manual is no longer relevant as it's not the same as the aftermarket headunit. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #542666 23rd Jun 2016 9:45am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi,
I have the factory option sub, so haven't tried connecting a full range amp, but have played around with the high & low pass filters on the speakers and sub.
There may be a LPF "off" setting on the line out, somewhere in the settings menu. In that case it would give full range.
I can't remember just now.

How are you wiring up the other 4 channels, speaker level inputs?
-or do you plan to split the single line out to give F, R and SUB?

cheers.
Post #542713 23rd Jun 2016 12:43pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Ideally you need a 3 pre outs from the headunit which would be front/rear and sub. You could use splitters to get 3 pre outs but the standard unit IIRC only give 4 volts splitting it twice would see a real drop in performance and crap sound. You also would have no control, as in fader front/rear. The red and white pre outs are stereo though Thumbs Up
Post #542777 23rd Jun 2016 6:39pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
^ Agree with Jim, a head unit with 3 pairs of outputs would be a better solution for a 6 channel amp.

Regarding the 2 RCA's on the factory Alpine unit marked F/SUB, they will output stereo FRONT full range or SUB depending on the setting.
In the settings, Subwoofer OFF, is the setting for the Front signal. Presumably that can be faded front to rear on the head unit.
Subwoofer ON, sends a SUB signal, which I think is not faded, but the LEVEL can be set independently.
SUBW LPF has settings for OFF, 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz. Set to OFF (ie no filter) you should again get the full range through the 2 connections.

Hope that helps.
Post #543046 24th Jun 2016 4:29pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Replace it with the alpine cde-178bt it's much better Mr. Green Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #543078 24th Jun 2016 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1