Home > Expedition & Overland > Overland trailers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
stanley wrote:
https://youtu.be/f2VvmqADlrY

If ever I get a lottery win , this would be my choice!

That water crossing at 2:05 looks pretty brutal Shocked 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #547235 8th Jul 2016 10:15pm
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
stanley wrote:

And mine Wink

Cheers
Andy
Post #547345 9th Jul 2016 2:10pm
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
Rosco wrote:
stanley wrote:

That water crossing at 2:05 looks pretty brutal Shocked

Brutal, but looked awesome Smile

Cheers
Andy
Post #547346 9th Jul 2016 2:11pm
L110CDL

England 
That looks well good WC, hope you get alot of interest in it Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #547424 9th Jul 2016 8:38pm
wildcamper

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Thanks for the kind words everyone, just need some good weather now for the maiden voyage Thumbs Up
Post #547525 10th Jul 2016 12:25pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
no the weather but the kit you have Whistle Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #548247 12th Jul 2016 7:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Took ours on it's maiden outings over the last couple of weeks with a few days at home in between which allowed us to make some minor changes following on from our experiences in the first week. The first outing was for a week on a site without electric hookup so we could check the electrics would last and the second we had electric hookup so could test the charging and the use of the mains for hair dryers etc...

All in all it went really well, we managed to fit everything we needed into the trailer and the tent for transport leaving the back of the 90 completely devoted to the dogs. Setting up time with the full tent took about 2 hours the first time and 1 hour the second time, we'll have to try it with the minimal tent at some point to see how well it works for overnights.

Given that we were camping in what seemed like constant rain showers it worked really well with the front awning giving us plenty of sheltered area outside and the multiroom giving lots of space inside for us and the dogs.

A few pics...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #548270 12th Jul 2016 8:23pm
L110CDL

England 
Looking really good, very impressed with the set up Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #548277 12th Jul 2016 8:42pm
wildcamper

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Great set up, we are going for it this weekend rain or shine. Will post some pics next week. Very Happy
Post #548509 13th Jul 2016 5:27pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I was just baulking at the hour setup time until I realised that's nearly as big as my house!
Post #548678 14th Jul 2016 10:13am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
lol, yes, there's a lot to it ! We were at a "normal" regimented camp site for the first week and had to book a "jumbo" pitch to fit it on - it's around 7 metres long and 5 metres wide in "base camp" mode.

I suspect that if we were to configure it for touring without the awning, walls and extra room, it'd be closer to the 10 minutes mark and would "only" measure 2.5m x 4m. One of the things that made us switch from the roof tent was that we wanted the option to have a decent "base camp" setup as well as the option for overnight stops when touring.

The "touring" configuration looks like this...
 http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #548682 14th Jul 2016 10:32am
TC

United Kingdom 
JOW240725 wrote:
I liked the look of the Adventure trailer sold by Nene Overland

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I know that specific trailer and JK very well - I spent last weekend trekking around Snowdonia national park behind it! The tub is basic storage and yes, as has been pointed out it does need the tent folded to get at the storage. The owner is working with a fabricator (a mate) on a redesign to incorporate onboard gas, air, water and accessible storage. it already has power and water but this will be re done during the overhaul.

Nene got hold of a number of chaser chassis that they intend on using as bases for custom builds - they won't be cheap though!

The chassis is a cracker, fully galvanised large box section with independent suspension (your own spec) - I can vouch for on road stability at speed, it stays as planted as the tow car and off road it is as capable as anything you would tow it with - that JK is one of only two official AEV JK Rubicon builds in the UK, it's running a 4.5" lift that trailer sits perfectly behind it! We did a seriously wet Strata and a very slick Happy Valley at the weekend from both ends and this trailer didn't miss a beat handling a series of deep water crossings and extreme articulation with ease.
Post #548687 14th Jul 2016 10:39am
josefk

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have a few questions to those on here with adventure or “overland” type trailers if anyone has the time and inclination to give a bit of advice…

We are recently back from 4 weeks camping in northern Spain; this year more than previously i have resented the camp set-up and teardown time - it isn’t super excessive approximately 90 minutes in each direction (oztent rv4 with fly and awnings/camp kitchen/camp cots/table and chairs) - but i am also a little bit tired of having to pack super neatly to get everything into a 90 or on the roof rack (90 CSW rear seats removed) in a tidy and rattle free/secure way.

Anyway i am mulling over the idea for building a camping trailer for next year (typical Sankey based thing) in the expectation that this will a) enable use of a rooftop tent on the trailer, (obsoleting the current oz tent) and b) enable lower set-up/teardown overhead when overnighting, and c) enable a better self sufficient electrical set up using solar (i currently have folding panels i put up and take down when moving and have so far not gotten into a dual battery set-up).

Simply having a roof tent on the 90 isn’t an option because i don’t want the permanent height (even if limited to only when on holiday) and we use the vehicle to get away from “base camp” a lot - i don’t want to put the RTT away every day.

My questions are:

1. Are my assumptions about speedy set-up/tear down using a trailer based RTT and some kind of fold out kitchen realistic? (no awning rooms or annexes)
2. Can trailers be made nicely water and dust proof without compromising ease of access (e.g. equivalent to back of car dust proofness levels which isn’t 100%)
3. Does stuff get smashed about more in a trailer than in the car on rough but not extreme tracks (glass bottles in the fridge etc.)

Thanks for any advice and comment (especially before billing in case it promotes any imminent shopping Smile)

Cheers Joe
Post #549832 19th Jul 2016 7:11pm
josefk

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
BTW. this is about 90 minutes worth - i'd like to achieve similar levels of comfort in about 30 mins or less...

Click image to enlarge

...possible with a trailer?

cheers
Post #549833 19th Jul 2016 7:19pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Josefk, that is exactly the way we went... We use to camp with an Oz RV4 with annex and awning, most of the time when we did not stay longer then 2 or 3 days we didn't put up the annex. Setup time was about 1-2 hrs, but what I did not like (having a bad back) was putting the 20 kgs of Oz RV4 on the roof rack every time.

Last year I finished my trailer conversion from a M416A1. It has a old Series roof, opening with gas springs, an Autohome Columbus rooftent on top. 48 l fresh water tank under the floor with manual tap.
I made 3 big compartments in de trailer, one containing chairs and tables, one containing food and cooking stuff, and one mixed things. The lid closes reasonably well, the gap is padded with cell foam. I have never had rain entering in the trailer, one time near the beach with storm force we found some sand inside.

And yes - your assumptions are correct:
Setup time is now approx. 10 min: choose a spot, wind out the legs, pop up the Columbus, set up the awning from the Defender. If it is bad weather I install 2 sidewalls to the awning.
Indeed you can leave the basecamp without hassle.
I have no electricity in de trailer, but run the fridge in the Defender from a dual battery setup with solar panels on the roofrack.

I really like this setup. Very easy and quick to set up! And as bonus you can leave most camping gear in the trailer when at home, far less packing and unpacking!

So it is a big, big yes for us!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #549851 19th Jul 2016 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>