↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > "Rupert"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Matt90

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Bronze Green
"Rupert"
I've been lurking on here for a while now so thought I'd share our 90 with you, I've always hoped that at some point of my life a defender would become a justifiable purchase, so after finally convincing the other half that we should get a dog (she's a cat person) it seemed daft not to have a 90 to go along with him 😉.
So with permission granted the search began, I'm pretty handy so began looking for a project that with a bit of a scrub and maybe a bit of welding and painting here and there wouldn't take much to sort, I don't think I was ready for the shock in pricing some people want for this type of landrover.
After quite a lengthy search I came across an add on ebay which had just gone on and after a short mull over the buy it now was pressed, the listing only ran for 3 minutes.
In my haste I hadn't really taken into consideration the location of the truck and how I'd get it home, I'm based in Leicester and the 90 was near Maidstone in kent (145 miles away) after a phone call to the seller who a bit surprised that I'd suggest driving it home assured me it would get me back.
A few days later aided with an rac card, a train ticket and a rucksack of spanners I set off to Kent to collect the truck, luckily the farm where he lived was only a ten minute walk from a station.
After a quick wander around my blind purchase I was quite happy even though I couldn't look under the bonnet as the release cable had snapped, the seller was a really nice chap who explained it wasn't getting used anymore and had just become a step ladder to prune his hedge.
Paper work out of the way it was time to set off, having only ever owned discoverys I was instantly confused by the ignition key, that sorted if I drove, what have I done I thought? I've bought a tractor?
But that was soon forgotten as a huge smile appeared on my face as I plodded along the farm track back to the main road.
Quick pit stop for a sandwich and to pop the bonnet to check levels (which were all spot on) quick check of lights and functions etc I headed towards the motorway, I started off quite cautiously but soon plodded along at 60, stopped around halfway just to check round but nothing seemed to be a miss, the seller had left me 3/4 of a tank and was down to 1/4 by the time we made it home.
So after a long story here he is, now named 'Rupert'

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

(these are the advert images)

Last edited by Matt90 on 30th Jul 2017 7:11pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #541206 18th Jun 2016 10:09am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Nice and original, good to see one like that. Welcome.
Post #541207 18th Jun 2016 10:14am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Looks pretty solid from the outside!

Welcome to the club!
Post #541218 18th Jun 2016 11:13am
GC001

Really like that!
Post #541228 18th Jun 2016 11:59am
Matt90

The description of the add was very vague, I went to pick it up expecting the worst and anything more was a bonus, turns out it's been very well maintained, serviced every year even though it barely moved, body has a few battle scars which for me add to his character, underneath is pretty solid, rear cross member has been replaced recently, new disks and callipers upfront, the original 19j with 120tho engine starts and runs very well, will add more pics up soon,
We all love the new toy and even the Mrs says it's a forever car and loves to drive it, so far it's been to a country car show and we've been hunting for and making the most of local fords.
Post #541232 18th Jun 2016 12:13pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Get the front bumper repainted and some polish and wax over the body and it'll look new again Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #541235 18th Jun 2016 12:34pm
Matt90

Cleaned and a quick once over with the mop, it's gonna need a very long detail but this was to uncover what I was dealing with

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #541263 18th Jun 2016 3:32pm
nitram17

Proper LR colour that!How is the rear door is it original ,is there any evidence of door seam cracking sfter23 years of motoring?Good luck with your purchase!I see you took of the go faster stripes i must say it looks better without them!You can buy them new if you want original looking specs( i personally wouldnt).

I wish i had room for a defender project,need to move to a bigger house or a small one with a huge garage!Dont tell her in doors but i dont care how many ffn bedrooms it has or you cannot swing a cat in the kitchen if it aint got a decent garage and driveway its a no go and since she alway lets me have the last word with her i should be ok.........ps what am i saying thats a lie after 22 years together the last word is usually "yes dear"

Last edited by nitram17 on 18th Jun 2016 4:18pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #541265 18th Jun 2016 3:50pm
Matt90

It is the original rear door as far as I can tell, but the bottom inside lip has almost disappeared with rust, also the spare wheel hanger has come loose internally so the spare wobbles a lot, a new replacement has now been fitted was this no something i should have done? Repaired the original maybe?

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge

Think it needs something on the rear door as it looks very bare
Post #541268 18th Jun 2016 4:01pm
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Spare wheel carrier maybe? I have a bare rear door and find it looks good with light guards on either side 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #541272 18th Jun 2016 4:23pm
nitram17

You can get parts for most doors so as in most things it comes down to cost and your own personal preference i would have gone with a new door and probably a mantec or safari equipment two pivot wheel carrier as i (and its only an opinion)think they look more appropiate for the age of the defender or 90 in your case!
Post #541274 18th Jun 2016 4:34pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Welcome Matt, good to see another Leicester 90 on the forum!!
Post #541284 18th Jun 2016 6:03pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Looks great! And the same age as mine! Can't help but notice the tyres look smaller than standard though, I had the exact same issue with mine so I used a sat nav to prove it and it showed the speedo was over-reading. This meant we always struggled for speed in 5th gear and the gearing ratio was out. I bought a set of wolfs with 235/85 General Grabbers, and it no longer required full revs to achieve 60mph in 5th gear - a noticeable improvement (plus I love the look of wolf rims). May be worth a bit of research.

As others have said, it looks a lot better without the sticker stripes! Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #541346 18th Jun 2016 8:42pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
They look like standard 205s to me, factory fit on a 90.

Looks a nice car. I would have kept the stripes though Cool
Post #541353 18th Jun 2016 9:38pm
Matt90

Not sure on the tyres but I've swapped out for some boosts for the time being, they were £120 for the set but I'm thinking I need to go back to steelies although it does drive better on the alloys

Click image to enlarge

These tyres came on the rims but he chucked in a set of grabbers for free

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #541356 18th Jun 2016 9:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>