Home > Off Topic > one thing I did not know about Eastern Europe and migrants
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
one thing I did not know about Eastern Europe and migrants
According to a world news item

I like many others give my unwanted clothes to charity shops or place them in the clothes bins or fill up the charity bags left in my post box. I have always thought that these unwanted clothes items go to British people or to third world countries people who through one reason or another cannot afford to buy new clothes. WRONG! They end up in Eastern Europe or to Szekesfehervar to be precise. Each day 100 of tonnes of used clothes, mostly from Britain, are unloaded here, in huge white bales. Shirts, trousers jackets, men's T-shirts, children shoes, winter coats ect. All clothes which British households feel they can do without and contribute to charity shops and door-to-door collections with the best will in the world hoping that they are either sold to Britain’s or as the signs on the clothes bins says sent to Africa or other third world countries.

But that does not happen what happens to them they are sorted and sold cheap to Eastern Europeans this is the conscience of Britain giving a gift of the First World to the Third, intercepted by those in the Second, that is why when we see Eastern Europeans arrive in this country they are wearing good British clothes, now in truth there perhaps is nothing wrong with that, though ethically they might be. But what is worse is that the remaining clothes that are not wanted are shredded and made into briquettes to be burned for cheap Eastern European energy. Do any of these clothes arrive in Africa, yes they do a small percentage, but they are not donated to them but are sold to African business men by the Eastern Europens who then turn over a healthy profit from the clothing

Personally I think this is scandalous and I for one will not be donating any more.

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #539837 13th Jun 2016 1:15pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes there was an item about this on Radio 4 a few days ago. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #539841 13th Jun 2016 1:39pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
It isn't really news.

This article is from 2011

But Mr Hanger has the Sally Army to thank for his designer suits, country mansion and Ascot-winning racehorse.
The 56-year-old has made millions from selling on the clothes and shoes which thousands of us donate to the Christian charity each week.
A self-made textiles trader, he won an exclusive deal to run the charity’s nationwide network of 4,500 recycling banks.
His company, Kettering Textiles Limited, sells on the donated garments to Eastern Europe, where the price has risen from less than £100 a ton to £350 over the last three years, thanks to the rise of second-hand shops.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...z4BSyDSciM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #539848 13th Jun 2016 2:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
^^^^^^^^^^

This makes it worse, there is a four letter word that sums up this man... For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #539849 13th Jun 2016 2:47pm
tonyhedge

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
There is, I think, a broader point here. The whole concept of recycling (charitable or commercial) only works if there is a market somewhere in the world for what we are trying to recycle, and that market will only exist if there is a potential for profit somewhere along the way. Unless of course one has a government prepared to invest public funds (Heaven forbid) or something along the lines of the German model of "the producer pays". Excuse me if I sound dangerously Liberal but I'm on the second glass ... Whistle That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not ... oh! That is a dent!

2014 90 XS SW
1997 Discovery 300TdiS (retired to stud)
1966 Series IIA 88" (now my son's)
2001 Astra - I need something to go and buy the parts when the others are off the road!
Post #539947 13th Jun 2016 9:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
We shouldn't be allowing corruption to gain momentum though, wherever it is in the world.
This is the problem or one of the many with the whole Euro thing.
It's the western side that tends to do more the right thing, the eastern end seems to deal with more unscrupulous behaviour.
From there, it can be linked to far worse even more corrupt countries.

With the migrants it's the opposite effect, they are people, they do deserve respect and humanity.
However, you'll notice every EU country will shift the "problem" all the way across from Southern Europe / Eastern Europe to us.
The border control personnel even tell you this, they say every time the immigrants are told by other countries to get to the UK.

To cap it off all the border control staff and funding has been cut too. Rolling Eyes

Bit off topic but true.
Thumbs Up

Last edited by custom90 on 14th Jun 2016 10:51am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #539949 13th Jun 2016 10:04pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I imagine the expectation here is that clothing donated to a UK charity should by rights be going direct to the poor and needy both at home and abroad? Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #540017 14th Jun 2016 10:16am
steventheplumber

England 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
We take ours to the local hospice shop. Then see them on the rails when sorted, stays in the local community that way.
Post #540020 14th Jun 2016 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1