↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Debunking Myths!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Debunking Myths!
&spfreload=10 Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #419124 26th Apr 2015 11:06am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Very interesting, thanks. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #419164 26th Apr 2015 1:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Thanks for that, I listened, watched & enjoyed.
However, no real surprises,...Why?,...because the "New" Defender is the World's best kept secret, I've been keeping my ear to the ground, & have heard NOTHING,......nothing officially from JLR anyway!
I'll be keeping on listening, & watching, for the first "proper" clue!,
Pickles.
Post #419317 26th Apr 2015 10:56pm
walfy

Speaking to a good friend who works for JLR. And is a Defender nut. I was in a meeting with him about other business and we got onto the subject of the new Defender. He spoke of more variants than the outgoing model. When pressed on keeping the chassis with bolt on bodys rather than monocoque he stopped that line of questioning with a smile. Apparently there are test beds running around but they are painted in UK military style of paint.
So could there be a set of test vehicles running out there being pushed to their limits, by a prospective client?

Make what you will of this but he is in a position of authority within JLR and I have no doubt to his genuineness. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #533753 22nd May 2016 5:06pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I can't imagine anyone is publicly running any kind of test bed right now, at least not that could be identified as such. They may well have the running gear and chassis hidden under an old van body or something as happened with the Freelander/Maestro van vehicles.

The company I work for was one of the biggest buyers of Defenders so if anyone was going to get any to test I am sure they would have. At this stage though I can't see it, we have not heard a peep out of JLR yet, I would imagine road-going prototypes anywhere close to the finished product are a long way off.

With all due respect to you, and your friend, we do hear a number of these kind of stories,a guy I work with has a brother who works for JLR and apparently he gets told little snippets of info now and then. For now I think it is just wait and see. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #533780 22nd May 2016 6:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I also spent the weekend with an old college friend who is heavily involved in the new Defender project at JLR, having plied him with plenty of alcohol in the hopes he might let something slip.... nothing as you would expect! All he did say is it's a long way off yet and they don't have prototypes being driven yet. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #533784 22nd May 2016 6:38pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
22900013A wrote:
I can't imagine anyone is publicly running any kind of test bed right now, at least not that could be identified as such. They may well have the running gear and chassis hidden under an old van body or something as happened with the Freelander/Maestro van vehicles.

The company I work for was one of the biggest buyers of Defenders so if anyone was going to get any to test I am sure they would have. At this stage though I can't see it, we have not heard a peep out of JLR yet, I would imagine road-going prototypes anywhere close to the finished product are a long way off.

With all due respect to you, and your friend, we do hear a number of these kind of stories,a guy I work with has a brother who works for JLR and apparently he gets told little snippets of info now and then. For now I think it is just wait and see.

Hello from Aussie, Yes, I'm with you.
Still all "myth & hearsay" at the moment,...no-one knows anything,.....outside of a few at Solihull.
I read on the Aussie forum that someone had a copy of the June edition of LRO where it was said that the "New" Defender wouldn't arrive until 2020?!! But, I'm not a big rap for that mag,...last year one of the writers wrote that he had it on "good authority", from a "Trusted Source" at JLR, that production of the then current Defender, would DEFINITELY continue off shore....Yeah right. I sent him an email giving him a serve for writing unsubstantiated rubbish,......but got no reply?
Pickles.
Post #533869 22nd May 2016 10:14pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
walfy wrote:
Speaking to a good friend who works for JLR. And is a Defender nut. I was in a meeting with him about other business and we got onto the subject of the new Defender. He spoke of more variants than the outgoing model. When pressed on keeping the chassis with bolt on bodys rather than monocoque he stopped that line of questioning with a smile. Apparently there are test beds running around but they are painted in UK military style of paint.
So could there be a set of test vehicles running out there being pushed to their limits, by a prospective client?

Make what you will of this but he is in a position of authority within JLR and I have no doubt to his genuineness.

JOW240725 wrote:
I also spent the weekend with an old college friend who is heavily involved in the new Defender project at JLR, having plied him with plenty of alcohol in the hopes he might let something slip.... nothing as you would expect! All he did say is it's a long way off yet and they don't have prototypes being driven yet.

So that's two conflicting stories from people who have authority in the area! Shall we just accept we know nothing?
Post #533874 22nd May 2016 10:28pm
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
A second cousin of a brother of a friend of mine says he heard from an ex girlfriend who used to know the brother of someone who drank with the son of a man who works at JLR and he says the new Defender is ready for production and will be out next week so I was really disappointed that my local dealer wouldn't let me place an order, guess they are already sold out.
Post #534203 24th May 2016 7:44am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
My boss's dog isn't getting too excited about it, that's for sure.
Post #534270 24th May 2016 11:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1