↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 1989 Ninety CSW - Update: 8 cylinders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 19 <123 45 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
+1 Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #568964 5th Oct 2016 9:01pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Brave man, top job Smile
Post #568967 5th Oct 2016 9:10pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Thanks guys! Just hope it doesn't leak now next time it rains! Smile Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #568971 5th Oct 2016 9:22pm
trickster5000

Bit of an update:

Engine has needed some work recently. The head gasket went a few months ago so it was a good excuse to dismantle bits of the engine. The Haynes manual was invaluable and made it a relatively simple job. I just took my time and went through step-by-step.

Click image to enlarge

The head was slightly marked so we sent it off to be skimmed. When we got it back I gave it a good rub down and then reassembled the valves all with new seals.

Click image to enlarge

Then the head went back on, valve clearances adjusted and finally put the rocker cover back on. With a little gentle coaxing, she started! Very Happy Over the next few weeks, I had the injectors reconditioned and bought a new air filter hose in an attempt to fix the black smoke coming from the exhaust.

Shortly after the head gasket went, we went on a greenlaning day in the Dales with Russ Dykes from Yorkshire 4x4 (unfortunately I wasn't allowed to drive Big Cry ). Had a fantastic day although the poor defender struggled a bit! Around lunchtime the fan packed in and for the rest of the day the engine threatened to overheat as we were mostly crawling along at less than 10mph.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At some point during the day the we must have banged the exhaust on a rock as it began vibrating against the chassis. Bending it back with a crowbar was relatively simple.

Recently, it's taken about 10 seconds of turning the engine over to get it going after it's been stood a day or so. A bit of research suggests the fuel lift pump may have gone, so today's job was to fit a new one. A fairly simple one, although it's worth whipping the injector pipes off to get better access on the 2 bolts holding it in.

Old one out, new one in:

Click image to enlarge

Not had chance yet to see if it's fixed the problem.

I have also replaced my tired old door hinges. Managed to get my hands on a set of take-offs from a puma which was having optimill hinges fitted. They were in Santorini black so I rubbed them down and very crudely sprayed them arles blue. It was the first time I'd used the spray gun attachment for the compressor so the finish is a bit rough. The old bolts and cage nuts were in a shocking state so new cage nuts and stainless steel bolts all round and plenty of copperslip. After a lot of fiddling, the new hinges were on and the door alignment is much better.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #573143 24th Oct 2016 4:04pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Looks good.

Problems starting after being sat can also be the leak-off pipes. If they have gone porous or have leaks then air can be drawn in and thr fuel drains back overnight requiring a bit of cranking before it'll fire in the morning.
Post #573173 24th Oct 2016 7:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Looks good and surprisingly similar to mine with very similar problems!

Good find on the door hinges. I might try that tactic as mine are shot too.

I'm interested in the fixed rear windows. Do you think your are a factory fit? Mine has fixed windows too but I can't tell if they've been made to fit a hole that would have had sliding windows in or it was built like that. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #573185 24th Oct 2016 8:58pm
trickster5000

My old fixed windows were definitely not factory fit, they were actually fitted quite poorly: Apart from them obviously not being the right size, they also had rough edges and a loose rubber seal. As SailingTom said, mine was a hardtop and had been converted at some point. The alpine windows were also cut out presumably at the same time as the windows but whoever did it, didn't cut them in the usual place just above the gutter, instead they are a bit higher.

I believe some station wagons were fitted with fixed windows from the factory but I liked the idea of sliding windows mainly from our dog.

I could get some measurements in the morning if it helps. Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #573197 24th Oct 2016 9:54pm
Blanc

May I ask where you got the stainless hinge bolts with the correct size heads?

Thanks

David
Post #573202 24th Oct 2016 10:08pm
trickster5000

David - I got them in a kit a bit like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321911504951 Matt.

Post #573205 24th Oct 2016 10:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
trickster5000 wrote:
My old fixed windows were definitely not factory fit, they were actually fitted quite poorly: Apart from them obviously not being the right size, they also had rough edges and a loose rubber seal. As SailingTom said, mine was a hardtop and had been converted at some point. The alpine windows were also cut out presumably at the same time as the windows but whoever did it, didn't cut them in the usual place just above the gutter, instead they are a bit higher.

I believe some station wagons were fitted with fixed windows from the factory but I liked the idea of sliding windows mainly from our dog.

I could get some measurements in the morning if it helps. Thumbs Up

Ah, s'ok thanks. Mine are in a frame much like sliding ones. Interesting that they might be 'factory' though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #573207 24th Oct 2016 10:27pm
trickster5000

My old ones weren't in any sort of frame, they seemed to just be a generic sheet of glass cut to window shape. Masai sell these fixed windows, do yours look anything like this: http://www.masai4x4.com/defender/side-slid...y=18520778 Matt.

Post #573209 24th Oct 2016 10:33pm
Dieselhead

Great work

Makes me want to go & buy a G reg 90 Cool Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #574234 29th Oct 2016 8:08pm
trickster5000

Made a few changes in the last few months:

Firstly, a nice shiny steering guard from Paddocks:

Click image to enlarge

Also fitted my Kenwood Active Sub on the back of the cubby box. Sounds incredible, not just the bass, but seems to make the music somehow more audible. When I just had the 4 speakers the sound just got drowned out by the engine. I can't seem to find the pictures I took however...

Then I replaced the leaky leak-off pipes and did a full service. Glad to see the oil was free of sludge/grime etc. Fuel filter was a pain to get off because of its placement in the engine bay which is non-standard due to the Disco 300tdi conversion.

New leak-offs:

Click image to enlarge

Awful fuel filter location:

Click image to enlarge

I'd been having some cooling woes recently, or at least, so I thought. On a short 5 mile journey into town, the temp gauge was reading well into and over 100C. When we pulled over, I got an IR thermometer on the thermostat housing and I couldn't get it to read more than 80 odd degrees, also the rad didn't feel abnormally warm either. The only potential symptom of over heating is the expansion tank leaking.

I replaced the expansion tank:

Click image to enlarge

Secondly I replaced the water temperature sender with the Defender one (black ring) to match my defender temp gauge.

Click image to enlarge

I haven't yet had chance to test the gauge but I'm hopeful it will now read a normal temperature as I'm coming to think I never had an overheating problem in the first place.

On the subject of gauges, I decided to replace the clock with a rev counter. Very easy installation, just ran a cable from the W terminal on my alternator. I would have rather had a more factory fit looking dial but the genuine one was way over £300. However, it is nice to know the revs.

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #617800 18th Apr 2017 9:38pm
trickster5000

Bit more progress this evening. Nice heavy package arrived in the post - some sound deadening! Smile Just cheap stuff off ebay, self adhesive backing and also had a higher weight per square metre than Silent Coat.

Bought 30 sheets, wasn't quite enough to cover front seating area, got the transmission tunnel done which was the priority area. Also got the footwells done, but still have the seat boxes and under-cubby area to do.

Hopefully this will help reduce the transmission whine.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also got a bit of rubber checker plate matting for a bootliner:

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #618523 21st Apr 2017 9:21pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Looking good Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #618564 21st Apr 2017 11:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 19 <123 45 ... 171819>