↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Dormobile V8 in Eype Dorset
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Electron

Dormobile V8 in Eype Dorset
Hi

This is my Land Rover Defender V8 Dormobile at the campsite in Eype near Bridport Dorset. Brilliant campsite overlooking the sea. You just have to be prepared for the strong winds ... I've just invested in four big spiral spike tie downs for next time for the awning !!

Click image to enlarge

Chris
Post #535554 29th May 2016 7:20am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Chris,
welcome to the forum and nice to see another Dormobile on here.
I see you have the ‘rock and roll’ seat/bed in the back and the dormobile pop top - do you use the top bunks or is it just for the extra height ?

Enjoy the banter and join in when you have something to ask or comment - dont be shy!
the search facility is great and there is a heap of useful info on the site with some great people.

Keep posting some pictures of where you take your wagon and any modifications you do.

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #535562 29th May 2016 7:54am
Electron

Hi

I seem to have broken the photo upload !! I can select the photo and it sort of uploads but doesn't show the image. Looks like the site may have hit a storage limit by the looks of things ...anyway here is the story ...

I was looking for a "Campervan" to tow a trailer with a car on it .... most "Campervans" seem to be both undernourished and oversized for the drive.

When I saw the Dormobile advertised it was a bit of a shed but it was a genuine V8 with matching numbers. I'm stupid when it comes to cars that should never really be rescued and I have a very tolerant wife. (I used the money for her engagement ring to buy a racing TVR ...) It had my name on it !!

The advert said it was four speed which was a bit of a shame but on the drive home I accidentally tried fifth and found it .. result ! When I say "drove home" it was more like a bracing walk whilst leaking petrol !!

There was no interior so I sent her off to Dormobile to have the sofa/bed fitted plus the custom sink/cooker/central heating build into cupboards. (I'll post photos ..) I also have the top lockers fitted. We just use the roof to make things more spacious though I do have a set of bunk beds to fit. I think I may fit one so that we can move the bedding up out the way during the day.

As she had no interior door panels or roof so Andrew at La Salle spent ages working out what panels I needed to do the roof (big hole for Dormobile roof plus no sides as I had lockers) We also did the stereo in the roof front headlining - I could do a whole thread on how to build a DAB radio with four speakers in a LaSalle roof Smile We also did the three door panels.

When we opened up the engine we were greeted by the usual under serviced black tar ... so heads came off and got dipped .. new cam + followers plus oil pump strip down and new drive. Radiator was blocked so this was added to the list. Oh and a few gallons of Jizer run through the block for good measure. (yes gallons - I have the bill)

Engine ran much better but was a pig to start as the Strombergs were worn and it still had the Pulsair emission kit (a wierd set of pipes that pull air from the inlet manifold and add it to the exhaust ports on the head)

The Strombergs have recently gone as has the dustbin air filter to be replaced with a Weber 500 downdraft. Just finished this bit but the choke now works and she sounds happy ..

I could say the awning is crap but to be fair Eype is fairly brutal and cheap tents end up in the sea ... the addition of the spiral ties should ensure the thing doesn't flex so much. I'm also making some brackets for the rods that fit under the gutter as they scratch and pop loose ...

This one is a keeper so I expect to do a chassis change in a couple of years and the bulkhead is a bit crispy in places but the good news is she's a Landie !!!

Click image to enlarge

[img]https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/userpics/20409/dormobile4.tiff[/img]
Post #535578 29th May 2016 9:02am
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi electron and welcome to the forum,what a beautiful part of the country we love the coastline around there and know it fairly well as I went to school in Beaminster and my friends and I used to cycle over to west bay and along the coastal roads,that's a lovely looking set up you've got there and to top it off it's got a V8,beautiful, Thumbs Up happy camping Paul Tash n Barney
Post #535582 29th May 2016 9:27am
nickc

1995 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
My Dormobile...
Hi

Here's my Dormobile - we use an Oztent on the back (with the 3 sides for the awning bit allowing us to remove 2 of them when the weather is good and zip everything up when we are not on the pitch).

Nick

Post #539090 10th Jun 2016 1:27pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Seems we have a dormvbile trio on the tour ! whoppee
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #539288 10th Jun 2016 11:24pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Electron, that looks like a great set up.
Pics of your "re-newed" interior/ stereo, and the engine bay would be good.
I reckon the 500 Holley would be perfect on that engine. Did you see evidence of restrictors on the originsl inlet manifold. Whose inlet manifold are you using now, and what have you done with the exhaust,....a set of pipes & a good big bore free flow system will definitely put a smile on your face every time you fire her up!
Pickles.

Last edited by Pickles on 11th Jun 2016 4:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #539290 10th Jun 2016 11:28pm
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Nice dormobile Nick, isn't that the one on ebay at the moment? 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #539303 11th Jun 2016 2:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1