Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
ibexman

United Kingdom 
That's a lot of money for a few bits of plastic Whistle
Post #650514 15th Sep 2017 7:02pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I got mine from Auto Silicone Hoses but I've just checked their website and the hose I bought isn't listed any more but for some reason they do list it on eBay. You want the 90mm 2 ply stuff and a metre is ample. And yes it is available in black so it looks the part in the engine bay.

Listed here.

As for being expensive for a few bits of plastic, well if you look at it like that yes it is. However, it is a very nicely made setup that would take an awful lot of effort to undertake oneself. One thing is for sure - there is no way whatsoever I'd attempt to seal the existing LR pipework. It has all the strength and integrity of a series of plastic milk bottles rammed together; there are huge gaps in the joins and because they are odd shapes there is no really secure way of sealing the gaps.

When I removed the existing pipework I couldn't believe how flimsy it was - and in fact I removed the longest piece by cutting it into two with an old, blunt, bread knife. It really is that thin and insubstantial.

One things for sure - a waterlogged engine is a lot more expensive... Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #650517 15th Sep 2017 7:17pm
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies guys Smile

FirstFour have said they will contact nugget stuff and see if they can obtain the black hose for me. Either way they are happy for me to return the kit. So I can't say fairer than that.

That Silicone hose looks interesting nosnibod. That sounds like the way to go. Thanks again. Any farther South and I'll need to trade the Defender in for a Landing Craft Smile
Post #650775 17th Sep 2017 11:49am
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
just had a look at the Nugget website they have a picture of the self-same hose as yours. 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #650824 17th Sep 2017 5:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Yes I took a look myself earlier.

It may well be correct to spec and technically fine for the application. I don't want to fit it though. Looking on line the same hose type is available for general venting and air ducting applications. I have something that looks identical connected to the rear of my commercial tumble drier.

If it turns out it is correct then I will think about sourcing a black one that looks more in keeping with the Defender engine bay. Some of the old snorkel kits for earlier models I've seen had a nice convoluted black rubber hose with proper ends for clamping. I guess I have some homework to do. Sad Any farther South and I'll need to trade the Defender in for a Landing Craft Smile
Post #650829 17th Sep 2017 6:02pm
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
couldn't agree more. I would look for an alternative black one too Thumbs Up 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #650834 17th Sep 2017 6:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nosnibod

Yes, but just remember what I said about making sure the hose wall is thin enough to miss that bolt-head holding the bracket to the alternator if you have a 2.2. With the black bellows-style hose it wore through it in less than a 100 miles. I tried using two hose clamps but that didn't work either - the problem is that the hose bulges out next to the hose clamps and reverts to it's full outside diameter. For a nominal inside diameter of 90mm the overall diameter was around 105mm which is just too big for the space available.

That's the reason I went for the very thin-walled silicon hose - although I did make sure it was black to match the rest of the pipework. At least that particular hose is fairly well hidden under the wing and turbo.

However if you did manage to find a suitable hose with fairly length ends for clamping I'd be interested too... Dave
Post #650840 17th Sep 2017 6:46pm
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Got it! Thanks Nosnibod. Any farther South and I'll need to trade the Defender in for a Landing Craft Smile
Post #650862 17th Sep 2017 7:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I haven't read this thread fully, but I'd be careful as to what you are using piping wise.
Something with very good rigidity would be ideal, as anything too soft could implode on its self under intake pressure.
Also if it does have too much flex under intake pressure, it could well affect the acceleration characteristics and the MAF readings.

Just my 2p worth, but I will read this thread in full when I have more time.

Very Happy Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #650866 17th Sep 2017 8:12pm
nosnibod

The silicone house I used has wire reinforcement and didn't collapse when I deliberately blocked the air intake. Thumbs Up

However the one from the airbox to the turbo did - and that's a genuine one!

Like this Rolling with laughter Dave
Post #650868 17th Sep 2017 8:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter That was what I was thinking funny enough. Rolling with laughter

I'm surprised LR didn't use rubber pipes as present but some form of reinforcement too. Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #650871 17th Sep 2017 8:28pm
nosnibod

Thought I'd take a photo of the offending alternator bolt-head and the amount of clearance available so everyone can see what the problem is. Even with the thin-walled silicone hose and the airbox pulled back as far as possible there isn't a lot of room - and of course as the engine rocks on its mountings the clearance will decrease. As it is I can just about get my index finger into the gap.

Click image to enlarge
 Dave
Post #650988 18th Sep 2017 12:02pm
nugge t

Australia 
Just want to clear up a couple of issues.

The black hose previously supplied is no longer available. The 2 ply silicon has a number of advantages. It has a higher temperature rating and is significantly smoother on the inside as it only conflutes where it is bent and as such the air flow is much better.

Unfortunately I could only source the orange..they call if red!!! .... at a price which enable me to keep the cost of the kit the same. I would have had to buy a quantity which would have lasted 20 years to get it in black from the supplier I could find. Last time I check on ebay it was about $70/metre. The hose has a wire through it.

The other problem I later discovered was that the cord tended to unwind a bit. Whilst this does not affect the performance of the hose, it looks ratty..could not agree more.

When I changed the hose I supplied photos to First Four. I am not sure if they upgraded on their web site when the purchase was made.

I ALWAYS stand by my products. I have exactly the same gear fitted to my 130.

I had been looking for a supplier who could supply in reasonable quantities in black since the old hose was discontinued and have only recently been successful. As soon as I was made aware of the complaint, I offered to replace the hose with the new black ( it does have white cord but I can not do anything about that) immediately.

As I am always looking to upgrade my products I had also been working on a new adaptor to make sure there is always plenty of clearance to the altenator bolt head. This had also just been finished last week and I offered to send an new one no charge with the hose.

First Four had offered a refund but I was advised. after sending pics of the new hose that it was acceptable and as such I have already posted a new hose and a new adaptor.

ibexman...those few bits of plastic are moulded in an aluminium mould which is machined from billet. Whilst I try to keep my product prices down, they do have to pay for themselves eventually.

More than happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to emails via the web page.

Cheers
Post #651186 19th Sep 2017 12:46am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello Wayne (Nugget, for those who don't know!),..good to have you on here.
Pickles.
Post #651187 19th Sep 2017 2:55am
nosnibod

Thanks Wayne.

For all others reading this thread it was me that informed Wayne (Nugget) and Peter at First Four about the issue with the extra bracket that JLR had fitted to support the lower intercooler hose - it pushes the offending bolt head even further out into an already small gap. Both Wayne and Peter were very responsive to my emails and stood by the setup 100%.

I was in a rush and so sourced the silicon hose separately and I'm delighted to see that a revised hose is now being supplied. I'm sure that if I had more time available Pete and Wayne would had sourced and supplied a revised hose. It sounds like the hose now supplied is identical to the one I used.

I can report that the 2 ply silicone appears to be perfect for the job and after taking another look in the engine bay at the black hose I used I wouldn't change it now. It's almost completely hidden below the turbo and other pipework anyway. I've done about 30,000 miles so far with the setup and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Right, off to work. Let's hope there are no floods on the way... Rolling with laughter Dave
Post #651197 19th Sep 2017 5:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>