↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Nugget Stuff Sealed air intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
mark_d

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I designed my own intake a couple of years ago. The design was to improve airflow but could be adapted for an air intake.
Some photos here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aos-vJQio9zS4zG2Zo9SyQpRNYf8
The flange could be made for less than half of the Devon price if enough people were interested. http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #546603 6th Jul 2016 7:09pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
I've also made my own adaptor for 15 quids worth of plastic elbow and pic weld glue. Fully sealed and works perfectly. Although I am upgrading to a larger diameter pipe ( was 76mm now going for 102mm) so will be making a larger adaptor shortly probably going to make a finer glass mould 👍
Post #546656 6th Jul 2016 9:17pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi tomdaprince,

As requested:

Here's the kit out of the box:

Click image to enlarge

Here's the kit tentatively assembled and put beside the duct pieces it will replace:

Click image to enlarge

Here's how the engine bay looks like with the duct work out, no air filter box cover and air hose to the engine:

Click image to enlarge

We patiently fitted the kit in then we used the included sensor safe gasket maker to bond the pieces together:

Click image to enlarge

Here's how it looks from up top:

Click image to enlarge

Then some more gasket maker between the kit, panel and Mantec RAI:

Click image to enlarge

I hope this helps.
Post #546739 7th Jul 2016 6:59am
tomdaprince

Netherlands 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
That Helps a lot, thanks mate! So you ran it underneath the heater inlet?
Post #546747 7th Jul 2016 7:42am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If anyone is interested in it, I have an unused and unfitted complete Nugget duct kit that I was intending to fit to my Defender. I have subsequently decided to fit instead a Nakatanenga RAI of the type that exits through the wing-top opening rather than the side, which also replaces all the pipework to the air filter box.

Consequently the Nugget kit is surplus to requirements. It is my intention when I get time to list it and a number of other items in the for sale section, but if anyone is looking for one in the meantime let me know.

*** EDIT - I no longer have this, it has gone to a new and more productive life with another forum member ***

Last edited by blackwolf on 11th Jul 2016 1:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #546755 7th Jul 2016 8:27am
HardCharger

tomdaprince wrote:
That Helps a lot, thanks mate! So you ran it underneath the heater inlet?

Hi tomdaprince,

Yes, that's exactly what we did.
Post #546758 7th Jul 2016 8:41am
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
I just bought this kit from First Four in August. Disappointingly the hose quality doesn't look anything like the nice black hose in the pictures posted above. The one in the pictures looks good and like it belongs in the engine bay of a Land Rover.

The one in the kit I received from FirstFour is a tan/brown color and has exposed string winding around the outside. It looks like something you would attach to the rear of a commercial clothes drier. I mentioned this in my feedback to FirstFour and haven't heard anything back. I am not too enuthused about fitting something into the engine bay that looks like it doesn't belong there.

I will follow up with First Four again. I am guessing that the spec has been changed by the supplier and there is probably little they can do. I am sure the hose will work and seal up fine, it will just look naff.

Does anyone know if better looking suitable black hose is available as per the pics shown by the poster above? Any farther South and I'll need to trade the Defender in for a Landing Craft Smile
Post #650383 14th Sep 2017 10:41pm
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Here is a pic of what's in the box. Take a look at the hose! Any farther South and I'll need to trade the Defender in for a Landing Craft Smile
Post #650387 14th Sep 2017 11:01pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
WhiskyJackR wrote:
I just bought this kit from First Four in August. Disappointingly the hose quality doesn't look anything like the nice black hose in the pictures posted above. The one in the pictures looks good and like it belongs in the engine bay of a Land Rover.

The one in the kit I received from FirstFour is a tan/brown color and has exposed string winding around the outside. It looks like something you would attach to the rear of a commercial clothes drier. I mentioned this in my feedback to FirstFour and haven't heard anything back. I am not too enuthused about fitting something into the engine bay that looks like it doesn't belong there.

I will follow up with First Four again. I am guessing that the spec has been changed by the supplier and there is probably little they can do. I am sure the hose will work and seal up fine, it will just look naff.

Does anyone know if better looking suitable black hose is available as per the pics shown by the poster above?

As I said in my earlier post in this thread, Nugget Stuff is very well known in Aussie. The owner, "Wayne" is an absolute gentleman,...this is the first issue I've ever heard relative to a product of his.
So, if you have an issue, I'd suggest you contact Wayne via his website & show him the stuff you got, to confirm that ALL of the contents are actually his. I would be very interested in his reply.
Pickles.
Post #650391 14th Sep 2017 11:48pm
HardCharger

I suspect that First Four only bought the kit without the hose (Yes, it is a purchase option) and just supplied what they thought would be a good hose to use. I bought the kit with the hose even if it was a bit more expensive. Nugget now has an even better hose that he sells on his site so you may want to look at that kit as it is definitely worth it. Will upgrade mine when it calls for it as it works a treat so far and I'll just let the kit be until I need to replace the hose, whenever that may be. Thumbs Up
Post #650397 15th Sep 2017 3:37am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Yeah, well that's what I thought,...that hose definitely looked suss to me, not something that would come from nugget.
Pickles.
Post #650398 15th Sep 2017 4:30am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The tan coloured hose looks exactly the same as the one pictured on the Nugget Stuff website. Other than the colour, is the quality good? Would prefer black hose but as long the the quality is ok I could live with it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #650403 15th Sep 2017 6:56am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
You are not alone.

Got the Nugget Stuff Kit as the Nakatananenga was Out of Stock with no definitive availability. An absolute Censored to fit, but the hose definitely lets it down. I was a bit bemused as I thought Nugget Stuff had a pretty good reputation, but then thought that maybe they had succumbed to the accountants and started to penny pinch. However, now that I know it was an optional purchase it tells me more about First Four than anything else. Will definitely pay closer attention to buying anything else off them.

Back to the Nugget Stuff, apart from the hose(which is not their fault apparently) I can't fault it. The only thing I would say is don't rush into fitting it straight away especially with the sealant. Take the time and go for a "dry" fit first then when you know where everything fits and how they fit go for the finished fit. That sealant is an absolute Censored to get off!!!

As said, I would have preferred to go for the Full Nad kit as Blackwolf has, but I couldn't hang on and so used the Nug. kit coupled with a Safari Equip Snorkel(as it is now sealed plus had it pressure checked for leakage) and LR airbag with internals removed. Very pleased with it all. Very Happy although that damn hose messes with my OCD!!
Post #650426 15th Sep 2017 10:32am
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I bought and fitted the kit to my 2.2 18 months ago and it came with the original black hose. It was a rubber 'bellows' type with a wire spiral embedded within. At first all seemed okay however on a 2.2 the wall thickness is an issue and the bolt holding the lower intercooler hose bracket quickly wore through the hose.

I obtained a thin walled silicon hose instead and the clearance is now fine and no sign of wear.

I informed Wayne at Nugget and he hadn't come across this issue on the 2.2 before but he also hadn't seen the revised bracket LR now fit either. However he did say he would look into it and advise distributers since they add the hose locally.

The thin-walled silicon hose is a lot tougher than it looks... Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #650432 15th Sep 2017 10:48am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
do you have a source for the silicon hose please. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #650502 15th Sep 2017 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>