↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Remapped 2.4 - Question about oil/fuel contamination...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
HMARR

Remapped 2.4 - Question about oil/fuel contamination...
Hi all,
I've been running around in my 2.4 for about 90,000 KM on a BAS remap and I'm very happy with it. Decat downpipe (no cats needed in New Zealand) centre-box silencer removed, an Allisport big intercooler and a reasonably heavy right foot. I change the oil every 10,000 KM and use Mobil1 Synthetic 5W-30 (Shall I still be using this - it says 'newer vehicle formula' on the bottle...? )

Anyway, a local tuning guy here suggested the map could be running too rich and that this setup could be causing too much fuel and soot contaminates entering into the oil, and the oil not being up for the challenge of cleaning it and lubricating properly. He has seen some Ford 3.2L engines fail due to this and my little 2.4 could also be 'at risk' He didn't have any evidence to prove that it was running too rich, just a bit of a guess. I thought I'd ask the forum and see if anyone has had any discussions on this before... couldn't find anything in the forum history or elsewhere online.

Any thoughts here?
I'm a little limited with my oil choices in NZ. To access the Castrol product that LR specify, I need to buy it in commercial quantities down here!
Post #531942 16th May 2016 11:23am
nickhodgson

Are you experiencing any issue about performance or oil consumption?

I guess there is some logic there......to get more power you need a bigger bang and to get the bigger bang you need more diesel and more air. If some of that diesel is not burned then it could affect cylinder lubrication negatively. So when you prioritise reliability over power (as per LR standard map - most 2.4 or 2.2 litre car engines produce more BHP than the Defender) the engine may last longer than if you prioritise power. It seems that LR map is pretty conservative and there is some scope for tuning but can you guarantee that in every gear/throttle position/load you are burning all the diesel. A standard puma emits almost no black smoke - how about a tuned car?

So as most people expect if you modify your engine it will not last as long. Although it may well have been fun for when it lasted. The tuning companies will probably argue that "there is no compromise in reliability" but its not really something we can verify and indeed you can have a car tuned and drive it like a granny and it may last longer than a standard car driven by me!!

It is possible to test the old oil to see what is in it (diesel?) and if its still any good. If that is not possible then reducing the distance between oil changes will only make things better. 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #531978 16th May 2016 1:24pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
In a nutshell ... He's talking out of his arse.

If you are using a good grade 5W30 synthetic oil, and replacing it at around half the recommended mileage, you ain't ever going to have a problem.

Enjoy driving it and don't worry Thumbs Up Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #532010 16th May 2016 3:23pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I can't imagine any remap coming out of BAS or any of the professional companies harming the engine.

He may be remembering some of those dodgy add on boxes that increased boost and increased fuelling regardless of engine need.
Post #532151 16th May 2016 8:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
My views are the same BAS and Alive are both very reliable.
Sending exhaust gasses back through the engine isn't going to do anything for longevity either.
Wear and tear won't be an issue so long as it's not driven hard all the time.
I like to have a bit of extra power when needed.
Not to drive around hard and fast all the time.

Never noticed any smoke, if anything it's cleaner I'd say since my Alive stage 1
Post #532155 16th May 2016 8:59pm
HMARR

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm reassured and relieved!

I'm not experiencing any loss of power or performance, just concerned I might be risking things. I am getting a pretty decent puff of smoke when I start it up. - I put that down to no cat...
Post #532201 17th May 2016 12:33am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Gidday mate,

I got a bit of white (steam?) on start up through summer here in Auckland on an ex-UK puma 2.4. Recent oil change though and it's all gone...

Hey so I looked in to Stag4x4 for tuning/remap and they offer the Empire stage 1 remap for $850 (http://www.empiretuning.co.uk/defender-remap.php).

The other option was going for the BAS, which is more expensive.

What more does it offer? I wouldn't go for the intercooler (yet), and am unsure about the EGR situation, cat I hadn't even known about.

Any advice? What can you tell me about the NZ situation in terms of WOF?

I have pre-approval from AA insurance underwriters that the remap will be ok. For some reason the fact that it is a diesel means they're ok with it (!) - apparently if it were petrol, any mod that increases bhp = boy racer = no more cover.

I even explained that there certainly would be a bhp increase - but added "I'm primarily doing it to increase fuel economy" (which is how I will justify the $$) Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #532202 17th May 2016 12:47am
HMARR

I highly rate Pete's tune at Bell Auto and you can see how much people highly rate his service from the forums. I found his service excellent even doing it all remotely in NZ...

I don't know if it's advisable to do much by the way of tuning without the bigger intercooler ? I thought this step first was reasonably important. Ask BAS and Stag, they will advise here. It cost a far bit for the intercooler and you don't notice any improvement when you fit it, it's just there to cope with the new tuning as far as I know. The Allisport intercooler is time consuming, but quite easy to fit. Some good guides on the forums here to step you through it.

I haven't been pulled up for not having a cat yet and I don't think I will. I'd highly recommend taking it out. With the BAS tune, the centre box removed and a decat pipe, your puma will sound cool. (Although that's a bit subjective. - I like hearing the turbo 'woosh' )

The BAS tune will turn off the EGR.
Post #532203 17th May 2016 1:38am
nickhodgson

It seems strange to me to see that people believe that increasing the power delivery of an engine will not affect reliability. If it was truly so then why is the standard LR map not producing more power? Do forum members believe that people who produce alternative maps for Puma Defenders do more testing etc than Land Rover and can prove their map does not affect reliability? It may well be true that you can get more power from a Puma in the UK with a small effect on reliability but I believe there is still an effect.

This is not a discussion about customer service or if having more power is nice or not.......let one of the forum sponsors who sells revised maps reply and provide evidence that their performance maps will have no affect on reliability. 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
Post #532234 17th May 2016 8:06am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I thought about like that too, mentioned it to a mechanic and he said something about 'stress on the injectors'.

But then although I am completely ignorant of the specifics, I do know that weak/unthought out/'one brush to tar them all' legislation regarding anything (emissions cough cough) can(/will?) leave holes in logic.

Also, there is the fact that there are many other gaping holes in LR quality control and design anyway.

To throw a spanner in the works (my works at least) - I'm particularly interested in the reasoning in remapping a vehicle already at 100,000kms. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #532235 17th May 2016 8:15am
nickhodgson

Putting it another way....

LR have a standard 2.2 Puma map and a 150bhp map. I believe that the 150bhp map engine will not last as long as the standard map engine if both engines are used to full potential. I am sure they will both last a long time as LR would not make them otherwise but ultimately the standard map engine would last longer - i.e. will be more reliable. 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
Post #532248 17th May 2016 9:11am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
While I know what you're saying (at least, I think I do), engine longevity isn't a very usable metric once you consider the problem of defining 'used to full potential' (or used 'normally' etc.).

And regardless, what about the journey from 0kms on the clock to engine death ?

The answer for me is: it depends... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #532250 17th May 2016 9:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1