Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Foxwing sides
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Greadh

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Foxwing sides
Hi,

Looking at a foxwing or similar awning and I wanted to know with the foxwing sides if it can be totally contained? Mainly thinking on the driver side of the car where it clips round to the roof rack and there looks to be a gap between the awning and car?

I see for the tuff trek it has 6 sides, fully enclosing, therefore avoiding the potential gap.

Reason I want it fully enclosed is to keep the dog in one place, he wouldn't be left alone and wouldn't throw himself against the sides, but if there was a clear opening he would happily invite himself to neighbouring campers BBQ.......

Cheers

Last edited by Greadh on 16th May 2016 12:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #531943 16th May 2016 11:25am
MagnersMick

United Kingdom 
I don't think so, unless you improvise a solution. There'll always be a gap there (and under the car) but it's an easy fix. Of course then there's the large hole at the rear.

Click image to enlarge
 One Life...Living it.
www.rove-overland.com
Post #531946 16th May 2016 11:46am
Greadh

Thanks - will need to dream something up or look at alternatives.

Under car not an issue as I have a caravan awning skirt that will clip to side steps and rear cross member fine.
Post #531949 16th May 2016 12:00pm
Davidej

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alveston Red
4 additional zipped awning panels will give you near enclosure but there will be a door size gap still by the right side of the back door. I too have had a skirt made up (by Cunningham canvas) to stop drafts coming under the vehicle and this provides a secure area to sleep/eat in on the left side of the landie (assuming you have a left side opening foxwing)
Post #532329 17th May 2016 1:14pm
Greadh

Davidej - Thanks for the confirmation of gap....

I See 2 options - get an additional panel made up to fill the gap as you describe or another awning similar to tuff-trek, I have read mixed reports on both, but generally the foxwing appears to be regarded as a better product.

But then cost:
£575 (tuff-trek inc. 6 sides) V's £1200+ (Foxwing+4 tapered sides)

the thing the draws me to the tuff-trek apart from the fully enclosed 6 sides, is the reports on customer service - I have read of 2 or 3 failures on their products, but every one has said it was addressed no issue - full refund and/or replacement.
Post #532335 17th May 2016 1:28pm
Davidej

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alveston Red
I too have read good stuff about Tuff trek products and service. Having said that I broke a pole on the Foxwing when camping and the support and replacement from the UK supplier was quick and efficient. The Foxwing will allow you to connect to other "sister" products such as the oztent but currently does not have a fix for that gap. It does seem to be a chink in their product offering but like you I value the quality and ease of use of the Foxwing although never tried other options. There seem to be other entrants to the 270 degree awning market such as Alucab.

Another option would be to get a separate enclosed rear awning/tent designed for a 4x4 (have seen them) with a side door that could provide access into the Foxwing with 3 sides fitted. That would also provide some flexibility as some of them are a "drive away" option leaving the rear awning set up for when you get back to site. Quick search found this link but have no personal insight on these...

http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/awnings...4wds-mpvs/
Post #532338 17th May 2016 1:42pm
MagnersMick

United Kingdom 
Buy it from "Leeds"... He may be a grumpy-old-git, but B keeps him in check and you'll get great service from them.

I speak from experience... Although B was rather grumpy at a show where her credit card machine failed to work Whistle

Thanks B n B Bow down One Life...Living it.
www.rove-overland.com
Post #532535 17th May 2016 10:50pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Me Grumpy? NEVER! Not unless someone mentions that nasty 'orrid D word Laughing

Go wash your mouth out with coal tar soap;-)

On a more serious note, yes people have made the Foxwing fully enclosed. Using a fifth tapered zipped extension panel which is cut to fit the small gap on the drivers side. The extra material is used as a skirt for the gap under the vehicle.

RLD on here has done this alteration and Andy who helps us out at shows has done it as well. Am not sure if Ray (RLD) altered a foxwing panel or if it was a Oztent side panel he altered for a wood burning stove.

Apart from the Foxwing being able to have the Oztent range of tents attached to it there is a mesh floor saver for the Foxwing.

We keep a range of spares for the Foxwing, i.e. bag, hinges, upright poles, rib poles etc. in the case of a mishap.

Brendan
Post #532580 18th May 2016 9:04am
Greadh

So can foxwing connect to just RV5 as per website or is it possible to connect to RV4, 3 etc? (with the awning connector)?

thanks
Post #532667 18th May 2016 3:33pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The Foxwing side is the same length as the width of the RV5 so is a straightforward fit.

The RV3/4 is 200mm narrower so their awning connector is shorter then the Foxwing side.

We suggest having the poles on the Oztent awning in this situation. Without the awning poles there is a possibility that the zip on the awning connector might unzip due to the weight of the fabric and that the zip has not gone to the end of its run.

Hope that makes sense

Brendan
Post #532684 18th May 2016 4:39pm
Greadh

Yes makes sense, thanks. Personally think id want rv5 so thing line up (ocd?) and a bit of added space.... shopping list getting longer
Post #532770 18th May 2016 8:56pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
A few people i know have done the same, ie make up a new panel to infill the r.hand rear side, from a tapered side,
Takes just over half the side, so can not get 2 out of the 1 Sad California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #532831 18th May 2016 11:16pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Whilst the internet can be a useful tool and aid in drawing up a short list of possible contenders if possible see the items in the 'flesh' so to speak.

For things like awnings which can be a reasonable outlay, the sort of things you should look out for include, are the seams double stitched, is there reinforcing material at stress points, quality of the cover bag, is the stitching all neatly finished off.

Are spare parts readily available in the event of a mishap?

What optional extras are available?

In about 2 months time (crosses fingers) we should have a permanent indoor display area featuring a Foxwing amongst other items.

Brendan
Post #532835 18th May 2016 11:23pm
Greadh

Thinking you right, need to view..... Are there any shows due soon where these products are likely to be?
Post #532840 18th May 2016 11:40pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have a fox wing and having seen most of the others i will be keeping mine and am very pleased with it. 2 seasons of use now and going strong.

As Tim mentioned i have used a 5th side to make a panel to fit mine.

Foxwing also zips into my JV signature tent with awning connector.

i love the simplicity and durability and space the thing gives. wouldn't change it for the world. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #532930 19th May 2016 12:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>