↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Defender TD5 cruise control.....confused!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Defender TD5 cruise control.....confused!
I want to fit cruise control to my 2005 Defender TD5.

I looked it up on this forum, plus others, and it says that you only need four wires and a switch, and the parts are a few pounds.

However when l look on Ebay and on spares suppliers websites, the TD5 cruise control kit includes a control box, and costs £400!

I called Terrafirma, who were selling the wires with switches (still over £100) and was told they stopped selling that kit because it "didn't work" and l needed the £400 kit....

And yet still l read that people have fitted cruise control with parts bought from Maplin for a tenner.

Can anybody clarify the situation? I would like cruise control for motorways but not at £400
Post #531008 12th May 2016 3:36pm
dorsetsmith

as far as i no you need a Td5 with transfer box modified gear ratios where the inbuilt cruise will not function. as well programming ECU and switches
Post #531023 12th May 2016 4:35pm
steve_c3

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I fitted cruise control to mine with some basic wiring and a disco 2 cruise control switch.

Theres a few threads on here and this ones got some pics of my install which a few others have done too.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42575.html

Cost me about £50 including a new switch, wiring and terminals to plug into the ECU. Didn't need anything going to the clutch pedal or brake lights as it was all operated automatically though the ECU. Touch the brakes or clutch and it disengages the cruise. Makes a heck of difference on long drives Very Happy

Change the transfer box or modify the 5th gear and it won't work as the ECU notices the incorrect engine revs and it won't set it. There is a digital 'box' to adjust the signal if this is the case but I can't remember what its called off-hand. 2002 Defender 110 CSW TD5
Post #531046 12th May 2016 5:51pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The box you refer to is the speedo healer used by bikers to correct their speedos after sprocket changes.

They cost around £80 and if you have a disco transfer box then you will need it to correct the signal going to the ecu.

The reason I guess that the simple kit has been taken off the shelves is due to this and the £400 kit is just easier all round.
Post #531097 12th May 2016 8:10pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
steve_c3 wrote:
I fitted cruise control to mine with some basic wiring and a disco 2 cruise control switch.

Theres a few threads on here and this ones got some pics of my install which a few others have done too.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42575.html

Cost me about £50 including a new switch, wiring and terminals to plug into the ECU. Didn't need anything going to the clutch pedal or brake lights as it was all operated automatically though the ECU. Touch the brakes or clutch and it disengages the cruise. Makes a heck of difference on long drives Very Happy

Change the transfer box or modify the 5th gear and it won't work as the ECU notices the incorrect engine revs and it won't set it. There is a digital 'box' to adjust the signal if this is the case but I can't remember what its called off-hand.

Well that's a pain. I have a v8 5th gear fitted in mine and was planning to bodge together a cruise control kit.
Post #531103 12th May 2016 8:25pm
steve_c3

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
geobloke wrote:
The reason I guess that the simple kit has been taken off the shelves is due to this and the £400 kit is just easier all round.

Mine wasn't a kit, I just bought all the separate bits and did a bit of wiring. If you're fairly competent at DIY and can follow the guide available on one of the forums, it's pretty straightforward...although I did triple check all the connections so that I didn't damage the ECU! Coupled with an Alive Remap, it makes hills effortless.

Miker; as and when my gearbox needs some work, I'll be changing the fifth gear in it so will end up going down the Speedo Healer route (cheers Geobloke for the reminder!).

Out of interest, how does the v8 gear affect yours? 2002 Defender 110 CSW TD5
Post #531118 12th May 2016 9:03pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Does anybody sell a kit any more? They used to be on Ebay for £30-60 but they've all disappeared.
Why would this be. Terrafirma still list the "basic" kit but when you try to order it bounces you over to the £400 one.
There was a guy on here selling kits for £25 but he's not been active since 2014.
Post #531201 13th May 2016 8:59am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yeah I have noticed the lack of kits on eBay of late too. Shame. I have now started to look for decent switches and the ECU connectors.

If you have higher gear ratios this is the solution you will need -

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/sp...n-kit.html

IIRC there was another company doing their own version of the speedo healer for Land Rovers, Nakatanenga maybe, might have been a forumite.
Post #531214 13th May 2016 9:57am
Steptoe

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Don't buy the 400 pound kit as it won't work on a late td5 I was sent one by mistake kept sending my defender into limp mode had 2 engineers out from the manufacturer they gave up and said it was conflicting with the cruise control program already in the Ecu in the end they sent the terrafirma kit just 2 switches and wires works ace now. Still got the 400 one sat in the shed mines an 03 defender
Post #531422 14th May 2016 7:03am
Steptoe

Try mm 4x4 only got the kit 6 months ago
Post #531423 14th May 2016 7:04am
AJC

United Kingdom 
steptoe, just looked on MM 4x4 and the kit they sell is £380
Post #531436 14th May 2016 8:44am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi steptoe. It appears MM4x4 are only selling the more expensive one now too. Although the picture of the kit is still the simple wiring version.
Post #531437 14th May 2016 8:46am
lightning

United Kingdom 
What do you call a late model TD5?
Mine's a 2005....is that a late model?

Terrafirma will no longer supply the cheaper kit.
Looks like l will have to make one up myself.
You can buy the pins for the ECU plug online.
I'd rather have bought a kit as it would have been easier.
Post #531484 14th May 2016 1:03pm
Steptoe

Apparently any after 2001 with programmable Ecu ring them direct that's what I did they went straight to terrafirma for it if not do as above disco switch it is very easy took me an hour with tea breaks plenty of diagrams on the web
Post #531491 14th May 2016 1:53pm
DiscoSmiley

South Africa 
Good day.

I fitted a cruise control to my Defender using Disco II parts. It worked well. I then changed the gear ratio on the transfer case and it stopped working. We cannot get it working again.

I had the ECU remapped to stage 2 and we tried looking into the cruise control but still no luck.

Any advice? Big Cry
Post #613504 31st Mar 2017 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>