↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Fuel priming tool, where is it intended to fit inline?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Heh heh,

Yip those batteries give me the Censored too! Especially stressful accepting the extra challenge of trying to not touch them with fingers Rolling Eyes Laughing Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #600596 10th Feb 2017 9:46am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've primed mine on more than one occasion simply by blowing into the tank breather (which is extended into the rear buck by the r/n/s light cluster to keep the crud out).

For fuel filter changes just pre-filling the filler does the job.
Post #600605 10th Feb 2017 10:19am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Heh, yip reminds me of two days ago when I realised that I had no way of knowing what was going on at the engine end of my transfer box and front diff breathers while blowing compressed air through them.

Solution = put them in mouth and blow.

EP is not tasty. Neutral

Luckily, rear I could see!

Yet to taste gearbox. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #600606 10th Feb 2017 10:24am
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
AlanH wrote:
The way I do it is the same as others have done. No special tools and no rushing around worrying about air getting in either.
Just remove old filter, fill new filter with diesel from a very clean jar and push it up and turn. Job done.
Start car and run at tick over for around 2 minutes and never had a problem at all, no hesitations no stopping, just smooth running.
I think I had more palpitations changing the alarm fob batteries..... Laughing
Alan H.

Yes you are right Alan, doing it that way worked for me too so I needn't have bought the pump bulb but it was cheap as chips on ebay so thought I may as well complete the tool with a male termination that fits the fuel purging female fitting.

How often do you drain the water form your filter and how much do you get out each time?

john "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #600607 10th Feb 2017 10:35am
AlanH

Australia 
Hi John. I've never actually drained the filter but have looked down inside when changing and have never seen dirt or water down there yet.
Must be lucky.... and if that's the case why can't I win lotto and be able to afford a decent vehicle? Laughing
AlanH.
Post #601388 13th Feb 2017 8:12am
B4Lamb

Hi Alan, the water is supposed to be separated in the filter and drained out through the bottom plug. The manual says drain regularly but what is regular?
I emptied mine into a clear container and found a black sticky blob of muck about the size of a marble in the fuel. There was some water, not much, in the water trap section of the filter as well but I'd drained that a few months ago so didn't expect there to be much. I took some pictures, I'll try and upload them. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601416 13th Feb 2017 10:41am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I'm thinking of just buying the fuel line from Land Rover and using the connectors to permanently plumb a priming bulb into the car. Removes the worry if i ever happen to run out of diesel, and minimises the chance of dirt entering the system.

The old XUD peugeot engines among others used to have a priming bulb permanently plumbed in, so i don't see why it wouldn't work.

It's a lot cheaper than fitting the electric lift pump and tank from a 2.2.
Post #601670 14th Feb 2017 3:11am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
All work expended in the vehicle ultimately taps from the power source (the engine) - over time, this equates to fuel (energy).

With that in mind, is the minimal, but added resistance between the tank and the transfer pump really necessary? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Last edited by agentmulder on 14th Feb 2017 10:49am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #601672 14th Feb 2017 3:16am
B4Lamb

Yes there is a resistance to pull fuel through the 1 way valve in the pump, not a huge force to overcome but indeed some energy is required. I would say its just another thing to go wrong and rot in the fuel line. Why not just keep the pump in the car for the rare occasions you run out of fuel. Its easy enough to remove the cap from the T joint near the top of the engine insert the pump and draw fuel up. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601675 14th Feb 2017 6:56am
B4Lamb

B4Lamb wrote:
Hi Alan, the water is supposed to be separated in the filter and drained out through the bottom plug. The manual says drain regularly but what is regular?
I emptied mine into a clear container and found a black sticky blob of muck about the size of a marble in the fuel. There was some water, not much, in the water trap section of the filter as well but I'd drained that a few months ago so didn't expect there to be much. I took some pictures, I'll try and upload them.

Here is what I found
black sticky blob in fuel poured out of old filter

Click image to enlarge

top view of the same

Click image to enlarge

Draining the residual dirty water from the old filter

Click image to enlarge

Muck in the water drain plug but mostly from the outside of the filter so not internal

Click image to enlarge
 "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601677 14th Feb 2017 7:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
"Black blob" = microbial growth AKA "the diesel bug", I think.

it might be worth bunging a fungicidal treatment in the next fuel fill.
Post #601707 14th Feb 2017 10:05am
B4Lamb

Yes good point Blackwolf, I always thought that was more of an issue on marine diesel tanks as they hang around for ages with no churn. I've never seen what the bug actually looks like, I should of kept a sample to look at with a microscope.

Cheers john "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #601723 14th Feb 2017 11:41am
zsd-puma

Had the same issue with a fleet fuel bund once, ended up with 20 vans needing new fuel filters after several brakedowns.
Post #601729 14th Feb 2017 11:50am
zsd-puma

B4Lamb wrote:
Yes there is a resistance to pull fuel through the 1 way valve in the pump, not a huge force to overcome but indeed some energy is required. I would say its just another thing to go wrong and rot in the fuel line. Why not just keep the pump in the car for the rare occasions you run out of fuel. Its easy enough to remove the cap from the T joint near the top of the engine insert the pump and draw fuel up.

One more thing to clutter the inside of the car. and it stinks of Diesel. Laughing

Plenty of cars used to have a priming bulb on them permanently, i don't remember ever having one rot out. I've seen them perish on boat engines, but that's usually down to them being exposed to the sun.

I would think the added load on the pump would be negligible, certainly no more than a slightly dirty filter.

I think i'll try it, if it doesnt work i can always remove it again and use it as the service tool. I don't think the fuel line from LR cost much.
Post #601733 14th Feb 2017 11:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12