Home > Wheels & Tyres > Sawtooth 16" vs 18" and BFG 235 vs 265
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MCT96

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Sawtooth 16" vs 18" and BFG 235 vs 265
Hello all!

I just got my Defender 90 yesterday and want to add/ modify a few things to make it a bit more unique and special. This is my first Defender so i would appreciate any advice or recommendations. The first thing I wanted to do on it is to add the 16" black saw tooth alloys with BFG KO2 tyres. Would the 235 or 265 tyres be better? Thanks for any help in advance. Here's what she looks like at the moment.

Cheers everyone!

Click image to enlarge
Post #523740 13th Apr 2016 8:22pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Tyre size and profiles all depend on what you want out of a tyre.

Traction is a function of the length of the contact patch in relation to the force and the pressure on it. So if you want good forwards traction you need a long contact patch, if you want cornering traction you need a wide contact patch. From that perspective generally you want a narrower tyre on a Defender.

Narrower tyres are also less susceptible to throwing mud all of the sides of the car, put less load on wheel bearings, improve steering lock and give a lighter steering feel. Some people like the look of wide tyres, personally I think they look silly. I've seen 2WD vehicles with narrow tyres literally running rings round 4WDs with much more aggressive wide ones on a slippery surface. Narrower tyres also have a lower rolling resistance so are easier to drive off road and use less fuel on road (marginally considering the brick they're supporting).

Bit more reading here: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/wh..._rev1.html

As you might guess, of the choice of 235 and 265 I'd go with the 235.

16" or 18" - basically this comes down to what sort of profile you want the sidewalls. Lower profile (i.e. shorter) sidewalls flex less. When you're going round a corner, weight is transferred on to the outside edge of the tyre picking the inside edge up. The less sidewall you have, the less that happens so the better cornering performance you have. For going round corners with good grip, low profile tyres are a good thing. For ride comfort and off road use, they're a bad thing. Defenders suffer from huge unsprung weights and a tall flexible sidewall helps give a little bit of suspension to the unsprung elements. Also, the taller the sidewall is the more you can air down off road so improving traction, flotation and comfort.

As you might guess from that, I'd go with the 16" wheels.

Personally, I have 7.50R16 tyres on mine and the cornering performance is fine. It starts to squeal when you're pushing it hard but doesn't let go within the range of my confidence and driving ability. From that, I have no reason change to anything wider or lower profile and so that's where my viewpoint comes from. There are other opinions, people liking the look of this or that, but that's how it goes.
Post #523880 14th Apr 2016 1:20pm
alfajock

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Bonatti Grey
Hello and welcome. Nice truck and Sawtooths will look great on her!

235s are probably more functional as they will will dig in deeper in mud, but I personally prefer the chunkier look of 265s

Have you seen this thread? It should give you plenty of pictures of both options

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic9184.html Fully Restored 89 110 CSW V8

CLS 350 CDI for the sensible stuff
Post #523882 14th Apr 2016 1:23pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Why change tyres at all if the ones you have have plenty of tread?

Boosts and sawtooths are interchangeable tyre wise, so save some money Smile

Hope you are enjoying the car and looks great Very Happy
Post #527019 26th Apr 2016 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1